• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal's road ahead for the CF

JasonH

Inactive
Reaction score
Graham's Military Wish List
Josh Pringle
Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Defence Minister Bill Graham has made his wish list for the upcoming federal budget.

Graham wants the budget to lay out a five-year timetable to buy more military big-ticket items.

He's looking for everything from new transport planes and helicopters to army trucks to navy destroyers.

The long-awaited defence and foreign policy review, expected at the end of next month, will sketch out a new vision for the Canadian Forces.

http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=2&nid=23036

Here's an article from the Toronto Star that goes into more details.

Military shopping list growing
Graham wants 5-year plan to buy big-ticket items

Equipment needed to exercise role may cost billions

BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWAâ ”Defence Minister Bill Graham wants the upcoming federal budget to lay out a five-year timetable for the purchase of big-ticket military items, everything from new transport aircraft and helicopters to army trucks and possibly even destroyers.

Graham said people on the street want to see the federal government invest more in the military and that the message has caught on in Ottawa.

The wish list â ” requested by the Prime Minister â ” would spell out a "coherent" strategy for dealing with some of the military's most urgent priorities, Graham said yesterday.

"The Prime Minister himself ... has an enthusiastic recognition of what Canada can do and he recognizes that the military capacity has to be a big part of that. So I think we're well on the way," he said in an interview in his constituency â ” Toronto Centre â ” office on Bloor St. E.

The long-awaited defence and foreign policy review â ” now expected at the end of January â ” is expected to sketch out a new vision for the Canadian Forces and the kind of equipment needed to do the job.

But already Graham acknowledges the military needs a replacement for the aging Hercules transports, new trucks for the army and new helicopters to haul soldiers and equipment.

The military's 19 Hercules are more than 40 years old, its 2,769 army trucks are 22 years old and its four destroyers are 35 years old.

Graham conceded that the heavy schedule of overseas commitments has taken its toll on the military.

"The forces over the last few years have been stretched. We've had what they call a very heavy operational tempo. It's like driving a car too long without replacing the bearings. There are some bearings that need to be replaced," he said.

Graham said one of his key priorities will be "persuading the finance minister that we should have the resources in the budget to enable us to deliver on what we're promising in the defence review." The wish list could cost billions of dollars.

But during a visit to Edmonton and more recent chats with Toronto businessmen, the defence minister said he was struck by the demands of Canadians that the government step up its support of the military.

"It was unbelievable. Young people with kids, young women coming up to me and saying, `Mr. Graham, it's so important we support our troops,'" he said of his Edmonton visit.

As a minimum, Ottawa must boost the military spending by at least $800 million just to meet its promise of recruiting thousands more troops, he said.

"It's very clear that if the government is going to be able to support the 5,000 new troops, it's going to have to be more than that. But not in the first year. It's going to be over time. Everything is going to be over time," he said.

"I think what's needed here is for people to sense that there's been a change in direction, that's there's a commitment to invest in the military.

"Everyone realizes you can't get it done in one day. ... People want to say, `Hey, five years from now here's where we're going to be."

Graham will see the work of Canadian troops firsthand next month when he visits the 700-strong contingent in Kabul. Graham said he also wants to talk to local officials about Canada's plan to send a new force of up to 500 troops to serve as part of a provincial reconstruction team in Kandahar.

On the topic of missile defence, Graham said he doubted Canada would suffer reprisals if the Liberal government decides not to participate in the U.S.-led program. But he said Canada can't ignore the fact that the U.S. administration considers this a priority.

"I do strongly believe that in terms of creating an atmosphere in Washington in which the Americans say we've got an ally to the north whose willing to work with us on the defence of North America ... is a benefit to us," he said.

"It's very hard to evaluate that, it's very hard to evaluate the negative consequences of not participating would be. But I don't think we should neglect that. It's very hard to quantify.

"We should approach these negotiations positively and seek to get the best deal for Canada," he said.

Another topic expected in the defence review is safeguarding Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic, an area where Graham admits the military should be doing more.

"I believe the military should be making more investments up north to be a part of the (government's vision of the Arctic)," he said.

"What I envisage is an increased presence. Exactly what form that will take I don't know ... We could be more active."

Graham said he'd like to see the use of unmanned aerial drones to help keep watch over the landscape, boost the ranks of the Canadian Ranger patrols and have the military exercise more often in the region.

"For some reasonable amounts of money we could increase our resources in certain areas and be very effective," he said.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1103669413935&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

Sounds good, but politics being what it is, I can't help but feel pessimistic. I'm sure the majority of you feel the same way. Hopefully, should these funds become available to the CF, they will be spent smartly.

I guess all we can do is Wait Out on this one.

I liked the part about "persuading" the Finance Minister...

Preperation of a personal "out".

*Sigh* (but crosses fingers anyway)

"The forces over the last few years have been stretched. We've had what they call a very heavy operational tempo. It's like driving a car too long without replacing the bearings. There are some bearings that need to be replaced," he said.

The next time Bill wants to use a car metaphor, he should ask his chauffer for a better one. I don't remember ever replacing any "bearings" on my Sunfire. (Although I did change a tire in the middle of Bon Echo park in the pouring rain at o'dark stupid this summer while driving back to Pet from leave at home.)

And now kids, we know why they are called "limosine liberals". "rolleyes"

But already Graham acknowledges the military needs a replacement for the aging Hercules transports, new trucks for the army and new helicopters to haul soldiers and equipment.

Is he talking about the MHP again or something to either compliment or replace the Griffons?

scm77 said:
The wish list â ” requested by the Prime Minister â ” would spell out a "coherent" strategy for dealing with some of the military's most urgent priorities, Graham said yesterday.

Be nice we could get current White Paper or national policy so DND could formulate a strategy to fulfil it.

Sniff, sniff. Do any of you smell that? Smells like pre-electioneering to me. Either that, or I'm having a stroke.

Marauder said:

The next time Bill wants to use a car metaphor, he should ask his chauffer for a better one. I don't remember ever replacing any "bearings" on my Sunfire. (Although I did change a tire in the middle of Bon Echo park in the pouring rain at o'dark stupid this summer while driving back to Pet from leave at home.)

And now kids, we know why they are called "limosine liberals". "rolleyes"

actually, that reference is accurate, you DO need to replace bearings in the steering system after substantial use because they get worn, especially if your allignment is off.

in any case, Im sure Graham didn't write his comments..  we'd have to take up our questions with his communications staff. :)

All of the things would be nice, Ships, Helos  Hercs, and trucks. But do any of think the Liberals will come up with the money??? If you think they will I have some swamp land to sell you in Dundurn, Sask. ;)

Sounds like the Mulroney years all over again.  It is ironic that the Butcher, Paul Martin, and the MND being the former outspoken foreign affairs minister, finally realize the damage that the Liberal government inflicted in the early 90's. Yes, I know the let down started with Johnny Diefenbaker, but old Liberal policies have tied the PM's hands on the world stage.  No Sudan, No Iraq, etc due to limited number of troops and equipment.  I think that we will get some of the kit over the next TEN years so that we can start exerting more influence on the international stage.  We don't need to focus on one place like Afghanistan, we also need to go to places such as Sudan.

Insert Quote
Quote from: canuck101 on Today at 19:20:14
How much is the land is Sask going for.

I hear its a good deal, it's ocean front

I think you heard that wrong Danjanou.  It's an investment property.  David Suzuki says it will become ocean front if we don't act on Kyoto. ;D

Back