• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Light Infantry - a definition, roles, requirements, capabilities, and a vision for the future

What roles should Light Infantry Battalions have?

• Parachute Only

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Airmobile Only

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Motorised Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mountain Only

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Amphibious Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Commando Unit Only

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • All the Above & More

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Infanteer

Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting take on the nature of the evolution that Light Doctrine should take when confronting a "Fourth Generation War".  Discussed in William Lind's "FMFM1-A Fourth Generation War" (which is discussed here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32574/post-239205;topicseen#msg239205)

---------

Appendix B: Toward a True Light Infantry

Current Marine infantry is â Å“lightâ ? only in the sense that it does not have its own medium or heavy armored vehicles. However, it has a superabundance of everything else. In the field, our â Å“lightâ ? infantrymen routinely carry more than 50 kilograms of body armor, weapons, ammunition, radios, field equipment, etc. They must depend heavily on motor vehicles. These vehicles, in turn, tie them to roads and open terrain, expose them to mines and ambush and diminish their ability to operate in urban terrain. Reducing our motor vehicle dependence and making our infantry light will require some hard choices, including a reduction in the number and size of crew-served weapons. Not only are the weapons themselves heavy, each one requires several times its own weight in ammunition. Although modest firepower levels are enough to defeat most Fourth Generation foes, we still arm our â Å“lightâ ? infantry as if for conventional combat against heavily armed opponents who fight as we do. Excessive firepower not only hurts our mobility but also is more likely to cause collateral damage and alienate the local population. We need to rethink and retool to fight a very different enemy.
If light infantry must augment its firepower to meet a particular situation, it can do so in any of three ways. The way least likely to cause collateral damage is to temporarily increase its ammunition allowance. This will reduce mobility but only until the excess ammunition is consumed. Extra ammunition should include rockets with disposable launchers such as the AT-4 antitank weapon or the Russian RPO-A flame weapon.
A second way is with artillery or air strikes. Although physically powerful, this is also likely to cause a level of damage that turns physical success into moral disaster.
A third way is to reinforce the light infantry with heavier combat units. These can be tank or other armored fighting vehicle units or they can be motorized weapons units armed with mortars, antitank weapons, heavy machineguns or other weapons too heavy to hand-carry. With all these options available there should be no reason for the light infantry not to have the firepower it needs (when it needs it) to deal with any conceivable foe.
However, the job of transforming our infantry into true light infantry is much more than just reducing the load it must carry. Other tasks include:

1.  Light infantry must have a full tactical repertoire. It cannot be accustomed merely to holding positions, or calling for fire support whenever it contacts the enemy. It must be expert at ambushes, penetrations and encirclements in both rural and urban settings. Light infantry tactics are above all hunting or stalking tactics. They must rely heavily on stealth, invisibility and trickery. To real light infantry, ambush is a mentality, not merely a technique. To make this a reality there must be a complete overhaul of our troops' training. Although total training time must increase, the emphasis should shift away from specific techniques and technical skills. Instead, it should be placed on tactical concepts, the inculcation of a â Å“hunter mindsetâ ? and the ability to make rapid but sound decisions, based on the (necessarily limited) information at hand.

2.  In Fourth Generation war, most light infantry combat will occur at the company level or below. Shifting the tactical focus to company-sized and smaller units will probably mean a major force reorganization in favor of a â Å“flatterâ ? command structure. To flatten a command structure is to have fewer echelons control the same number of troops. For example, a conventional command structure would divide a dozen maneuver companies among three or four battalion headquarters. The battalions, in turn, report to a regimental or brigade headquarters. A flatter version of this might eliminate the battalion headquarters and have the regimental or brigade headquarters control all companies directly. (If one prefers to be less radical this regiment might have only eight companies. Prior to 1914, during an era that often presented similar challenges to what Fourth Generation war currently presents, the standard British battalion had eight rifle companies. This gave the battalion great flexibility in irregular warfare because it enabled it to create numerous detachments while still retaining a tactically viable force under its own control.) Conventional wisdom has it that a given command element cannot tactically control more than four maneuver elements. However, on a Fourth Generation battlefield tactical control above the company level is seldom needed. When it is needed, it is likely to be for only a limited time and to involve limited forces. Instead of worrying about tactical control, a higher headquarters should focus on administration, logistics, operational and strategic objectives, intelligence analysis and dissemination and relations with the local rulers. It should usually leave tactical matters to its platoons and companies.

3.  In addition to a flatter command structure, combat companies need greater logistical independence. Although this requires additional manpower, a company should have its own administrative, mess and supply echelons (as it did before 1960). Centralizing logistics at battalion level or higher ties the companies much more closely to their higher headquarters than is desirable in Fourth Generation war. Barring heavy combat, companies should be able to subsist on one to three supply deliveries (LOGPAC) per week. They should be able to store and distribute supplies of all classes and prepare hot rations using their own assets and without diverting personnel from their fighting elements.

4.  Although every effort should be made to trim â Å“fatâ ? from headquarters, logistics or other support units, combat companies should have an allowance of â Å“basicâ ? or â Å“other dutyâ ? privates (as they did prior to 1960). Such privates have no specific duties and are there to maintain the company's strength in the face of the normal attrition (accidents, absences, sickness etc.) that affects any organization. Until needed to fill vacancies they would familiarize themselves with the unit and do odd jobs not otherwise provided for in the unit's table of organization. This deliberately programmed â Å“fatâ ? enables combat units to better maintain themselves despite attrition and unexpected contingencies.

5.  Light infantry should not have organic transportation (other than their boots and maybe bicycles and/or disposable handcarts made of plastic tubing). Their missions and mobility requirements are so many and varied that no single set of transport vehicles could possibly meet more than a fraction of them. In helicopter operations or in close or mountainous terrain (where light infantry is most useful and effective), current infantry units with organic motor vehicles would have to leave most of their vehicles and many heavier weapons behind. On the other hand, light infantry in open terrain might need more (and heavier) vehicles than would ever be organic to it. Motor vehicles need parts, fuel, maintenance man-hours and dedicated drivers and/or crewmembers. Organic vehicles also increase the infantry's logistical â Å“footprintâ ? and reduce its strategic mobility. The best way to avoid these problems is to place what were formerly the infantry's organic vehicles in transportation units that support the infantry on an â Å“as neededâ ? basis only. Marines are already doing this with their aircraft, armored amphibian vehicles and heavier trucks but they must also do it with the light trucks that the infantry currently â Å“owns.â ?

6.  Weapons should be simple and, above all, they and their ammunition must be light and portable, even over long distances. Weapons requiring motorized transportation (even if only for their ammunition) should be issued only to weapons units. Light infantrymen must learn to depend on their own weapons rather than supporting arms.

7.  Light infantry should be able to "live off the land" for prolonged periods and in almost any part of the world. It should be trained and equipped to use cash to draw on the local infrastructure for most of its needs.

This type of true light infantry, or Jaegers, is very different from what Marines now know as light infantry. Our Marine Corps needs a program to develop true light infantry as quickly as possible, making full use of the extensive literature on the subject. To the degree our Fourth Generation opponents can field better light infantry than we can, our ability to prevail over them is greatly diminished ­.

Our old friend Kirkhill (where is he now, I wonder?) had an interesting article posted on the "Infantry of Tomorrow" thread which ties into what is being said here. The article and my take on it are here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23394/post-152788.html#msg152788.

Sure whenever I try to cut kit and weapons people call me a heretic.  When someone gets published its the gospel...  ::)

;)

So you just need to be burned at the stake in order to make your mark, heretic dog!  ;D

Seriously, all this high speed kit is issued to substitue for manpower and a certain amount of training. I remember on of the early chapters of John Engish's book "On Infantry" he discussed training standards prior to WWI. Troops were to be able to identify camoflaged fieldworks at long range, and engage targets with aimed rifle fire at what we would consider astounding ranges- 600-1000m (with iron sights, no less). If anyone has a copy handy, please insert the relevant ranges.

Today, we scan with Radar and TI sights, dump mortar, smart bomb and machine-gun fire on suspected enemy positions, and hope we've got them. If we want to have an effective light infantry based on the models we have read about, then we need a huge change in the training system.

However, on a Fourth Generation battlefield tactical control above the company level is seldom needed. When it is needed, it is likely to be for only a limited time and to involve limited forces. Instead of worrying about tactical control, a higher headquarters should focus on administration, logistics, operational and strategic objectives, intelligence analysis and dissemination and relations with the local rulers. It should usually leave tactical matters to its platoons and companies.

Now this I find truly fascinating - but I doubt that we are mature enough to go there yet

Dave

http://www.strategypage.com//fyeo/howtomakewar/default.asp?target=HTINF.HTM

Great article discussing the combat load of the soldier and how hard it is to drive that weight down.

There was an excellent study done by the US Army in Iraq and Afghan available on powerpoint (I lovst mine during a computer reformat) but I know a few here have it (I sent it to them) - it was bouncing around work (although I think we missed a lot of the lessons learned)

a_majoor said:
If we want to have an effective light infantry based on the models we have read about, then we need a huge change in the training system.

110% agreeance

I think the US ARSOC model is somethign we should emulate - I know Infanteer will be along  ;) and I dont want to steal his thunder...

I've got that document right here Kev, you want a copy?

I am thinking that this thread and the "Combat load" thread should be merged. In fact, I am wondering if this entire topic isn't really part of the "Infantry of Tomorrow" thread?

PPCLI Guy has a very interesting point; if we only need local tactical control by company sized units, then what is really required from higher level headquarters and formations? In a way this is a bit of a return to the situation in the late middle ages, where Captains contracted their independent company to the highest bidders. Once several "companies" had been hired, either the employer appointed or the various Captains elected a Captain-General to be in overall command. One could imagine an analogous situation in the future, where a company commander gets on the net after recieving a warning order and books his rations, ammo, charters the flight overseas and solicits bids from Atco Frontec, Turners LLC, Kellogg, Brown and Root and other contractors to support his tour. (OK, the Coy 2I/C will actually be doing most of the work...)

The higher headquarters would then be available for the various "reach back" tasks, such as intelligence, space assets, coordination with allied units and so on. I suppose there would be one or more conventional units somewhere in theater as the QRF, either medium armour (2Bravo's Cavalry) or Airmobile (My "new" Canadian Mounted Rifles), also under the overall controll of the higher headquarters to bail out any company which is in too deep.

The light Infantry themselves would resemble our Recce platoons, with a heavy weapons section added to deal with hard targets, and I would suggest an expanded sniper det as well. Because they would be operating in a widely dispersed environment for the most part, a light company would also need a Signals/Information section as well, to pass information between sub units, lateral formations and higher.

I will look for the link or citation, but there was an article in Jane's several years ago about the Norwegan Jeager companies, which were designed to operate in a fairly independent fashion in the high Arctic; perhaps they might provide a model as well.

In light of recent guidance by the CDS what do you think for the roles of our 3 LIB's.

Uhhh.....how do I vote for "all of the above", with the requisite resources to do so?  Because that is truly the range of capabilities that I believe our light forces ought to be capable of.... 

Sorry, but in my mind your poll "options" have merely encapsulated most of the roles that our light forces ought to be conversant with.  The basic skills in each sub-specialty need not be terribly sophisticated, but the basics have to be there, all of the time, for every soldier serving within such units.  Additional specialization within specific tasks follows with anticipation of a specific mission.

Just my opinion, of course.

Mark C said:
Uhhh.....how do I vote for "all of the above", with the requisite resources to do so?   Because that is truly the range of capabilities that I believe our light forces ought to be capable of....

+1

+2.

Don't confuse mode of delivery (notwithstanding its consequent effects on tactics and sustainment) with role.  How much time have airborne and amphibious forces historically spent airborne and amphibious, and how much time fighting on the ground?

+3.
I found the choices offered to be confusing. Especially since several of the options are to be found in the other options. "Ranger unit" would encapsulate all of the others, for example.

+4

LOL, an amphibious only batttalion.. :eek:

Perhaps a better way of phrasing it would be: "What capability do you think is most important?"

a_majoor said:
The light Infantry themselves would resemble our Recce platoons, with a heavy weapons section added to deal with hard targets, and I would suggest an expanded sniper det as well. Because they would be operating in a widely dispersed environment for the most part, a light company would also need a Signals/Information section as well, to pass information between sub units, lateral formations and higher.

I would merge the snipers as an integral part of the units.

Have the 4 man det/brick be the base building block for all. 

Make anything larger than a C9 be a CQ item "on call" - keep the current 'heavy' weapons but have them available on a pull system.

Have ideally ATV's available for a portion of the unit as well to add "light mobility"  - its much more easy quadding a Mortar or CarlG and ammo than humping it...

Talking to Infanteer offboard he had mentioned having the ruck as more the kitbag/barracks box - and be more fexible w/ day bag.  This may require a larger PL HQ - kinda PQ org but would make the sub unit very light...  Not for all Ops - but in FIBUA/MOUT scenarios it definetly would make for a more agile (low level) though lower endurance.

a_majoor said:
I am thinking that this thread and the "Combat load" thread should be merged. In fact, I am wondering if this entire topic isn't really part of the "Infantry of Tomorrow" thread?

Done.

KevinB said:
I would merge the snipers as an integral part of the units.

Have the 4 man det/brick be the base building block for all.  

Make anything larger than a C9 be a CQ item "on call" - keep the current 'heavy' weapons but have them available on a pull system.

Have ideally ATV's available for a portion of the unit as well to add "light mobility"   - its much more easy quadding a Mortar or CarlG and ammo than humping it...

I like.   As well, all Light Infantry soldiers should be capable of packing and riding a horse, mule, or camel.  

Foreign weapons proficency is a must.   We can give our guys a lightweight C8 that can be broken down and packed into the ruck/apack when not in use, allowing our guys to use locally aquired weapons - we have one big and easy CQ in most of the places we'll go; simply replenish stores off of dead badguys or captured caches.   Being that our service rifle is superb in performance, I'd hope to use it most times, but if we are trying to lighten the load and focus on less footprint/logistical austerity, than "living off the land" is a must.

Talking to Infanteer offboard he had mentioned having the ruck as more the kitbag/barracks box - and be more fexible w/ day bag.   This may require a larger PL HQ - kinda PQ org but would make the sub unit very light...   Not for all Ops - but in FIBUA/MOUT scenarios it definetly would make for a more agile (low level) though lower endurance.

Still like this idea.   A kit system should be designed as one - a large Kifaru-type ruck with the ability to mount a modular assault pack should be able to hold everything that the soldier needs to deploy in an operational environment.   Kifaru is the place to look for this one.  The ruck is primarily an "admin" piece, the platoon/coy forms its "operating base" around its rucks.  The detachable (and modular) Assault Pack is a "tactical piece" - it allows soldiers to live for up to three days away from their rucks (if they don't supply locally, which they should).  This ruck should be designed with human endurance factors in mind and leaders should keep weight limits in mind when planning.

A supplemental "sea-bag" would be useful for soldiers on standby - such as on an amphib or something.   In the "seabag", one should dump Arid (or conversly, Temperate) gear, winter warfare gear, NBC gear.   The "seabag" is not to be deployed operationally, keeping austerity in mind demands that mission planning be confined to the "Admin Ruck/detachable assault pack" set-up.

Anyways, in speaking with Kevin, I still remain convinced that the best way to "Out G the G" (to quote Hackworth) is to become like the G.

Infanteer

Back