• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living and getting around in Victoria

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Good Day Gents,

I'll be moving to Victoria after graduation, and my gf and I are looking at a place along Gorge road, near Tillicum. I was wondering if:

A: Anyone had any input about the area (nice, stinky, dirty, great!, etc..);
B: Anyone (maybe with sons/daughters going to UVic) knows what the commute would be like from that area to UVic (where my gf will have to travel too).

I'm sure the commute from there to Venture won't be much more than a hop and a skip, so I'll leave that question out.

Cheers, and thanks for any input!

Area's not bad.  If your g/f has a car then the UVic commute is pretty easy.  I used to live in Quadra/Mackenzie area, close to UVic.  The drive out to Dockyard was around 20 min.

For the summer I lived near Bayer's lake in Halifax, and that was about a 20min commute to Dockyard, which never really bothered me. Good to hear thanks.

My family lives there and uses all the modes of transportation to get around.

My sister and her boyfriend are crazy "rain or shine" mountain bikers that use public transit as well.

My mother uses her car to bop around town and jokingly says that everything there is "just 15 minutes" away.  I was there this spring, she's right.

Enjoy that lovely posting!

Not a bad area and the bus #26 runs down Tillicum and ends at Uvic and going the other way stops close to Workpoint where Venture is located.

That area is quite nice.  I used to own a house around there.  The Gorge Pointe Pub (on Tillicum Rd) has nice food.  It's a pretty convenient location overall.

The area may be a bit pricy for you - its gotten to be pretty ritzy in some areas of the Gorge over the past 10 years. 

The walkways and bike paths along the Gorge have also seen an increse in assault-related crimes over the past year.  Not enough to be labelled a dangerous area, but often enough that people I know who use it, use it with caution, especially during low light and dark hours...

Pretty much at least 50% of the buses in Victoria have Uvic as one end of their route.  If they don't, they stop downtown, where you can transfer to one that does :)

Been nearly 10 yrs since I lived in Vic,but rented  an apartment on Gorge rd WEST!!  Some parts of gorge rd EAST can be a bit rough!  The place I rented was close to tillicum rd and that small shopping centre that on Gorge rd west/Tillicum rd.  Ran to and back from work with ease!

Rented a condo that was just across the street from the Tim Hortons on Gorge Rd east and that was fine as well

That whole area around the timmies on Gorge rd. is crack central....lots of good people live there, but there's enough of a drug presence to drag the area down.  Stay away from anything near Rock Bay/Bridge st., anything right by Gorge Park.  Right beside Harriet Rd doesn't seem too bad, my mom lives there :p  Washington Rd area seems to be up and down though.

Back