• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Local Land clearance policies?

MPIKE

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for any applicable canforgen and/or policy references for obtaining local area land clearance and enviro assessments etc?  Just need the references and I'll look them up.  I'm off site and trying to make preparations for a planning session. (tried a search but can't hit on the key words)
Thanks in advance!.. 

PIKER

You might get more response it you gave some more details as to what you are trying to accomplish.  What do you mean by "land clearance."

Your Base Environmental Officer should be able to give you some guidance on Environmental Assessments.

I think he is looking more towards getting permission from private land owners to  use their land for training/exercise purposes.

And no, I do not know the applicable references. Sorry.

Remember when it used to be just getting the land owner to sign a form?  Bombing down the trace - sun setting, time to find a hide for the jeeps...  Now you have to plan each stop weeks in advance and ensure that an environ-assessment is done for each stop.  ::)

Zoomie said:
Remember when it used to be just getting the land owner to sign a form?  Bombing down the trace - sun setting, time to find a hide for the jeeps...  Now you have to plan each stop weeks in advance and ensure that an environ-assessment is done for each stop.  ::)

This is exactly the case! Times have changed and nothing is that simple.  A quick form and a handshake to occupy private land is long gone. Policies are in two areas the as in the civy side as well as the BDE stream for approvals etc..  As part of a reserve unit, we have been trying to arrange local land access to allow for options to train outside of the Armoury..

I have an understanding of the process and but wanted the actual source docs. As they say forewarned is forearmed !. Just thought I'd throw it out here if anyone had a comment between the next Tuesday update with my Regt OPS..

(Sorry I was vague for a purpose as I didn't want to start a debate on a public forum on the concept.  You'll find troops using land for map and compass Nav Ex still leave a carbon footprint.. )

Talk to your local AJAG.  This is their area of operations.

Piker,

Contact the CE section at your support Base.  They should have a Properties Officer that can help you out.

Thanks all.  The official route is in play..

Cheers Piker..

I've never seen JAG or base CE engaged in approval for military use of private land.
The requirement can be found in Training Safety, and I have always seen it moving from units through G3 channels.
I would suggest checking the LF Area directives, and the directives or SOs of whichever support base is responsible for the general area in which the training will happen.  Your own Fmn's directives may also have something on this topic.

In some really bizarre twists of this process, I have seen bases demand the same form be used to get approval for military use of non-DND public land.  Good luck finding someone who wants to sign as being the property owner of a provincial or municipal park.

MCG said:
I've never seen JAG or base CE engaged in approval for military use of private land.
The requirement can be found in Training Safety, and I have always seen it moving from units through G3 channels.
I would suggest checking the LF Area directives, and the directives or SOs of whichever support base is responsible for the general area in which the training will happen.  Your own Fmn's directives may also have something on this topic.

In some really bizarre twists of this process, I have seen bases demand the same form be used to get approval for military use of non-DND public land.  Good luck finding someone who wants to sign as being the property owner of a provincial or municipal park.

To be honest, I'm not sure how CE would be involved as my impression is that they are responsible solely for our own infrastructure.  However, rest assured that AJAG is involved as they are the ones that deal with Claims against the Crown, which are most likely involved in any CF use of private land.  In cases where the process goes through the Training or Range Control organizations, I would argue that this is because the local AJAG has already developed and implemented this process and placed it in the hands of the end user.

Back