• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics In War

From DropBox to Hipchat: The 5 biggest cloud hacks in recent history -  YouTube

Custom-designed robots - Groupe CFR

We have a ways to go yet.

Industrial robots are routinely caged for exactly the same reason rotating parts are covered - to protect the people working on the floor.

youtube.com/watch?v=DtuhV7sT_q0

I feel the Electrocution was a bit gratuitous....

I'd sooner my supply lines didn't depend on the cloud or the internet. A local "shop" with a full catalogue of design drawings and instructions on-site and air-gapped would be my preference.

Going back to the notion of what's possible without guns, for a moment. A new list. Now the purists will not that the 84mm Carl Gustaf and the 40mm M320 are both "guns". I took a liberty.

The point is to emphasize the range of capabilities available to light forces that can be delivered by the box load in the fashion of grenades and paraflares.

Charges
MinesTripflares
AT mines
Claymores
GrenadesHE
Frag
Concussion
Flashbang
Smoke (WP/RP)
Smoke (Marker)
Gas (CS)
Paraflares
66 mmM72A5 (HEAT)
M72A6 (HE)
M72A7 (HE)
M72A9 (HE)
M72A10 (ASM/Frag)
M72A12 (ASM/Frag) RC (45mm)
M72E8 (HE-FFE)
M72E9 (HEAT)
M72E10 (HE-Frag)
M72E11 (Airburst)
M72 EC LAW (HEAT)
M72 Reflex Sight
M72 Laser Sight
84 mmM141 Bunker Defeat Munition (83mm)
AT4 HEAT
AT4CS HP
AT4CS RS
AT4CS ER
AT4CS AST
AT4CS HE (Airburst)
110 mmSpike SR (Multi-Purpose Tandem)
Spike SR (Penetration-Blast-Fragmentation)
150 mmN-LAW (HEAT)
UASDrone-40
Hero-20 (HE 0.2 kg warhead) - 1.8 kg, 10 km
Hero-30 (HE 0.5 kg warhead) - 3 kg, LOS up to 40 km
Hero-70 (HE 1.2 kg warhead) - 7 kg, 40 km
Hero-120 (HE 4.5 kg warhead) - 12.5 kg, 40 km
Mini Harpy (SEAD) - 40 kg
Simple Projector
40 mmM381 (HE)
M386 (HE)
M406 (HE)
M441 (HE)
M397 (HE - Airburst)
M433 (HEDP)
M575 (APERS - Multiple Projectile (Buckshot))
M583 (Ill - Paraflare - White)
M661 (Ill - Paraflare - Green)
M662 (Ill - Paraflare - Red)
M992 (Ill - Paraflare - IR)
M585 (Ill - Clusterflare - White)
M676 (Smk - Para - Yellow)
M680 (Smk - Para - White)
M682 (Smk - Para - Red)
M713 (Smk - Marker - Red)
M714 (Smk - Marker - White)
M715 (Smk - Marker - Green)
M716 (Smk - Marker - Yellow)
M651 (Gas CS)
XM1060 (Thermobaric)
SAGM (M433 HEDP Airburst)
Medium Velocity
Drone-40
M320
70 mmM151 (HEDP 10 pdr)
M156 (WP)
M229 (HEDP 17 pdr)
M247 (HEAT/HEDP)
M255 (APERS Flechette)
M257 (Visible Paraflare)
M259 (WP)
M261 (9 Grenades)
M264 (RP)
M278 (IR Paraflare)
M282 (Multipurpose Penetrator)
APKWS variants
Stinger (70mm)
84 mmSMAW - HE Anti Armour (83mm)
SMAW - HE Dual Purpose (83mm)
SMAW - Novel Explosive (Thermobaric) (83mm)
CG 469C (Smoke)
CG 545C (Paraflare)
CG 401 (Area Defense Munition - Flechettes)
CG 441D (HE APERS Airburst)
CG 502 (HEDP)
CG 509 (Anti Structure Munition)
CG 551 (HEAT-RAP)
CG 651 (HEAT-RAP)
CG 655 (HEAT Confined Spaces)
CG 751 (HEAT-Tandem)
CG 756 (Multi-Target-Tandem)
CG GMM (Multi-Purpose - Guided)
127 mmJavelin FGM-148 (HEAT - Tandem)
Javelin FGM-148F (Multi-Purpose)
130 mmSpike MR (HEAT - Tandem)
Spike LR (HEAT - Tandem)
Spike LR (Penetration - Blast - Fragmentation)
152 mmTOW BGM-71D (HEAT)
TOW BGM-71E (HEAT-Tandem)
TOW BGM-71F (HEAT-Tandem - Top-down)
TOW BGM-71H (Anti-Structure)
TOW BGM-71F (HEAT-Tandem - Top-down) - Wireless
TOW BGM-71H (Anti-Structure) - Wireless
170 mmSpike ER (HEAT - Tandem)
Spike N-LOS (HEAT - Tandem)
Spike N-LOS (Penetration - Blast - Fragmentation)
Spike N-LOS (HE)

File:Australian army ammunition technicians and U.S. airmen lay down plastic explosive over munitions during a controlled detonation at a range in Southwest Asia (080620-F-9876D-244).jpg

A good portion of that Light Forces ammo list on display - just prior to detonation by Aussies and Yanks.

Now if only that made it back to the armoury floor.

File:Australian army ammunition technicians and U.S. airmen lay down plastic explosive over munitions during a controlled detonation at a range in Southwest Asia (080620-F-9876D-244).jpg

A good portion of that Light Forces ammo list on display - just prior to detonation by Aussies and Yanks.

Now if only that made it back to the armoury floor.

When I saw that my back groaned.... I assume they're getting that lot ready for a section of Infantry to file by.

Glass half full? None of those stupid 81mm MOR bomb container thingies. Those were ridonculous...

When I saw that my back groaned.... I assume they're getting that lot ready for a section of Infantry to file by.

Glass half full? None of those stupid 81mm MOR bomb container thingies. Those were ridonculous...

I was looking at the C4 stuck between them.

And by the way - light infantry kit these days also includes

Royal Marines trial new CanAm 6x6 all-terrain vehicles for motor exercises
TheParachuteRegiment on Twitter: @3PARA are now on Ex JOINT WARRIOR with  @16AirAssltBde units training ahead of being AMBG 1 again. Delivered by  @Field_Trg_Unit and starting with Company level field firing.  #BasicsDoneWell #FitToFightLight #
Royal Marines trial all-terrain vehicles in mortar maneuver drill - Defense  Brief
Royal Marines successfully receiving bergan drops from Malloy Aeronautics heavy lift drone

I like dune buggies as much as the next guy. And I think there is a role for light infantry. But your average Mark 1 No 1* dune buggy provides zero protection from this:

hqdefault.jpg

or this
maxresdefault.jpg

You will always, always need those LAVs and those IFVs if you want to play with folks who are armed with something more than an AK 47. Just remember how quickly we started up-armouring when the first Iltis was shredded.

🍻

I like dune buggies as much as the next guy. And I think there is a role for light infantry. But your average Mark 1 No 1* dune buggy provides zero protection from this:

hqdefault.jpg

or this
maxresdefault.jpg

You will always, always need those LAVs and those IFVs if you want to play with folks who are armed with something more than an AK 47. Just remember how quickly we started up-armouring when the first Iltis was shredded.

🍻

Unless the tanks/ armoured vehicles can't follow the Infantry, or if there aren't any vehicles apart from the combat boot ....

1625089762393.png

hqdefault.jpg

or this
maxresdefault.jpg

🍻
True enough but I also remember reading an article about some poor American bigger who had been blown up while being carried in armoured vehicles umpty-ump times. His chain of command stuck with the same tactics on the same routes and relied on ever more armour plate. He complained of headaches.

Meanwhile other folks opted to go wide and stay away from defined tracks.

Sometimes you don't have options. Sometimes they are just not considered.

And I'd rather roll a MRZR than a LAV.

MRZRs and CANAMs may not get to the top of the mountain but even if they only get half way up the still save a lot of groaning backs.

Yup. That and urban warfare and a few other things. Like I said, there's a role for light infantry and we should definitely have a bunch.

🍻

I'd suggest there a lot of other things for them to do. Especially in the defence.

Sometimes you don't want a pile of nuts. And getting a special nut from Montreal to a point 1500 miles west of the Azores may be a pain. It may be appropriate just to print out what you need when you need it.

Bundles of pipe are what you need for an XL pipeline. But storing bundles of pipe for years, rotting, while you wait for a pipe to burst somewhere other than your stockpile??

It feels kind of like what I was suggesting about bombing. The Air Force works with planned actions with hundreds of bombs. The Army wants the occasional bomb accurately delivered in a timely fashion.

Engineers buy nuts by the ton. Mechanics want the necessary nut in their hand.

I think your severely overestimating what 3D printing can do. Most things tend to get designed with simplicity in mind and generally for nuts and bolts they are pretty much standardized at this point. If it is something that special (say a left hand threaded specialty nut) odds are 3D printed garbage isn't going to cut it. Your still waiting 6+ hours to 3D print stuff (provided it works the first time which odds are it won't), not to mention you would have to have the equipment to 3D print on hand, the right filaments for the job (provided it could again be made with any of the materials we can use for 3D printing, which steel and brass isn't really one of), the properly trained troops to handle the 3D equipment (I have friends who 3D print things, and it isn't just grab a file and print, there is a lot of trouble shooting and messing around to get them to work effectively), a reliable power supply to run it, and ultimately is going to leave you with a sub par product.

I understand the concern of having isolated areas needing to be supplied, but if your concern is space, it is easier to carry a few of those nuts than it is to carry the 3D equipment and all that goes along with it (and that's provided it would work for the job needed). You would be better off with a machinist and a mill and lathe, if we are getting to that point and even then you still would also need the stock and tooling and etc...

One of the things I think your missing with logistics is the grouping of effort. For example it would be a bit of a pain to get that one nut from Montreal to the Azores on its own, however we would also be sending food, ammo, clothing, equipment, troops, etc. Its just a matter of adding it to the packing list.

Back