• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LogO training

Biomans

Reaction score
I just had my interview for LogO (air) and forgot to ask my MCC about specializing, since it never came up. I'm wondering how much input I have into the specialty stream I'm pushed down and when I'm either informed or given the option to choose a specialty (transport, supply, fianance, etc.). I was also wondering how easy it is to switch specialties within LogO, ie. transferring from transport to supply. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

If you are accepted into LOG (Air), you will normally be asked for your preferences such as Supply (Sup), Transport (Tn), Finance (Fin), Human Resources (HR), or Food Services (Fd Svcs). Note Ammunition Technical Officer (ATO) is available only after your first or second tour as an Officer. You'll be asked again after your Basic Logistics Officer's Common Course.

You understand the following, The Royal Canadian Logistics Service (RCLS) is one of the largest and dynamic professions within the CAF and consequently there are many factors that affect the manning levels:
  • the authorized manning levels per speciality (Sup, Tn, Fin, HR, Fd Svcs and ATO) and per environment (Navy, Army, Air Force)
  • the current manning levels per speciality and per rank
  • the forecasted retirement, termination of contracts, voluntary transfers out of the RCLS per year

In brief, if there is a vacant position in your desired specialty and the career manager, in consideration among the other candidates, finds your file acceptable, than you will be chosen. However you must be prepared to accept your second or third choice.

In my case I chose Tn as my first choice and was accepted. I found that being an Army Transport/Movements Officer offered me physical and mental challenges that I would have never experienced in the civilian world.

If you are accepted welcome to the RCLS. Enjoy your career.

Thanks for the response! If given the choice I'd love to join 2AMS. L.Col Demers', current commander of 2AMS, masters thesis was my introduction to logistics in the CAF. It sparked my interest in becoming a Logistics Officer so hopefully there's a spot open. I have some background in logistics, hopefully that will work in my favor. Can't wait until the CAF implements automated inventory tracking, seen it implemented a half dozen times and think it will solve some of the issues facing the RCLS (how you eek out useful analytics without it must be some heavy lifting).

Thanks for the response! If given the choice I'd love to join 2AMS. L.Col Demers', current commander of 2AMS, masters thesis was my introduction to logistics in the CAF. It sparked my interest in becoming a Logistics Officer so hopefully there's a spot open. I have some background in logistics, hopefully that will work in my favor. Can't wait until the CAF implements automated inventory tracking, seen it implemented a half dozen times and think it will solve some of the issues facing the RCLS (how you eek out useful analytics without it must be some heavy lifting).
Movements is a sub-speciality like the Quartermasters Course. Usually you must be qualified Transportation. After one or two tours as a Transportation Officer you can apply for the Movements Course, upon approval of your Commanding Officer. Even of you are qualified as a Movements Officer there is no guarentee that you will be posted to 2 AMS. If you get to 2 AMS you then learn about air movements and then you apply for the loadmasters course. This is a demanding course in which you learn to load the various aircraft available in the RCAF.

Remember movements is all about roads, ships, rail and air. 2 AMS is all about air movements. 4 Canadian Forces Movements Control Unit Montreal is about all of them.

Material inventory control is a much needed system that has seen it start and stop because of lack of funding. Logistics and administration are simply not very sexy as fighter aircraft, tanks and frigates thus funding for logistical systems are very, very low in the CAF's priority. You will learn to make do with what you have, learn tricks to help keep track of items, use favours from your army and navy friends to help you in your task.

Cheers

Just a quick note that Log Os will either be Logistics Sustainment Officers (LSO) or Logistics Finance Officers (LFO) rather than having separate streams of Supply, Transport etc. It really doesn't impede your wish to pursue a career in movements it just means you will be in the LSO stream.

More info

That decision determined there would be only one Logistics Officer occupation with core competencies in materiel management, transportation, personnel administration, and budgeting. As LogOs progress in rank and experience, they will either select a career path in sustainment as a Logistics Sustainment Officer (LSO) and get advanced training and specialization in sustainment specialties or they will select a career path in the sub-occupation of Finance with core competencies in budgeting, financial management, financial services and policy, and personnel administration, and where they will receive advanced financial training. Thus, in future, all Logistics Officers will be classified as either Logistics Sustainment Officers (LSO) or Logistics Finance Officers (LFO).

@Biomans

The Defence Supply Chain is pretty huge beast. There are some initiatives underway already that will certainly increase our visibility but it can always be improved. As for automated tracking and the like drop me a line when you are qualified and working we can discuss (or just drop me a line on anything supply chain related) I have a pretty good grasp of our inventory and how we track it.

Thank you @Happy Guy and @MJP for the information! It's great to get all of this from people working as logistics officers because I would never have found it outside of the forum (especially finding out it's not a straight shot to Movements Officer right after training). I'll definitely drop a line once I'm trained and have a better grasp of the basics around CAF logistics.

Back