• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking For Armoured Vehicle ID

06Honda

Inactive
Reaction score
Took these images today at CFB Kingston, looked over the vehicle but never saw any ID info other than the numbers that show on it. Any ID what this is. Thanks for any help.

25615123010_6c66e0e9c3_b.jpg

25820740071_c0be55eb39_b.jpg

25820733921_df5e62eb16_b.jpg

I don't know if the vehicle has a specific name, but it's clearly a recovery vehicle based on the hull of a Sherman tank, probably a M4A3E8, given the type of suspension. A quick boo at Wikipedia seems to indicate that the vehicle in question might well be a M74 Armoured Recovery Vehicle.

I suspect that is a post war variant of ARV.  It does not look like what I have seen from war photos, and the painted flag is post unification style.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M74_Armored_Recovery_Vehicle

That does look right.

The C\S 18 denotes that it belongs to the A Sqn maintainers (RCEME). As George already said, it's a Sherman ARV.

recceguy said:
... it's a Sherman ARV.
The name "Sherman ARV" was used by the UK for a Sherman that they modified.  The Sherman ARV II was an improved UK modified vehicle, and the Sherman ARV III was the name the UK gave to leand-lease M32 Tank Recovery Vehicles.

Where the M74 ARV was a post war vehicle, would it have ever properly been called Sherman ARV (or even Sherman ARV IV)?

Is it just me or is that a hideous green? Looks like the inside of a 113.

It is an odd colour.

Short of the interior of an iced cream factory, I cannot imagine where it would blend in.

Back