• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for experienced opinions on training for BIQ

I'm not even short (I'm just shy of 5'11') but I have a pair of really trashed feet that require fancy boots and custom orthotics and all and a short stride as a result, but I'll echo that post to say that staying in the fight is what matters, you just keep your head up, keep getting the air in, and keep going.  Over time you'll get better at the pace, your muscles will learn the movements and get used to the motions, everything will get easier.

As for CrossFit - "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun."  It's a phenomenal program, and I wish I adhered to it more closely, but it's definitely done me well and it's worth looking into.  Doesn't take much equipment, and the WOD means you'll always have something fresh and challenging, not a repetitive pattern to get boring.

Running is actually very hard on your body mechanically.  I used to be a long distance runner (even did rather well in competitions in high school); I loved running.  Now, however, I can see the wear and tear it put on my body, especially my knees.  Running in moderation (like anything else) is manageable, but extensive running is problematic.  Lower impact exercises that challenge you aerobically, such as swimming, elliptical machines, cycling...hell, even a good, brisk walk...are better for you in the long run.

As for ruck marching, I'd offer the following suggestions:

-consider carefully how you arrange your load.  As a sect comd and later a pl comd, I tended to check my soldiers' loads pretty carefully, and as a coy comd and CO, I did occasional "spot audits" of my soldiers...in many cases, their loads weren't well balanced.  You want to keep as much weight as possible close to your centre of gravity, which is generally around your belt buckle.  You also want to ensure you use a hip belt, to place as much weight as possible on the strong bones of your pelvis and legs.  Weight transmitted through the shoulders requires much more muscular effort to carry and balance, which is more fatiguing than simply allowing a static transfer of forces through the bones of your lower body

-needless to say, you want to carry as LITTLE as possible.  It may go without saying, but I've occasionally had soldiers carry the most wonderfully bizzare stuff...like extra cans of shaving cream "in case they ran out", or a six-pack of pop in the bottom of their ruck "for when they got tired of water".  You need to carry a) what you're ordered to carry, then b) what you otherwise need to live and fight in the field...and that's it.

-take care of your feet.  There are other threads on this, so I won't belabour the details...the point is that if your feet are bothering you because of blisters, etc. it will affect the way you walk, which will affect your balance and the distribution of forces through your body, and again, increase fatigue.  And if your sect or pl comd wants you to take off your boots so he can inspect your socks and feet, don't look at him likes he's some sort of pervert...it's called taking care of your soldiers.  I wish more junior leaders would do this sort of thing.

-hydrate.  Another "motherhood" statement, but again, inadequate hydration affects your body chemistry, which again translates into things like the extent to which your body can flush away fatigue toxins like lactic acid from working muscles.  The same goes for overall nutrition, particularly including things like electrolytes (be wary of bottled water, as it contains very few dissolved minerals; your body requires certain ionic compounds, like salts of sodium and potassium, for normal neuro-muscular function)

-finally, mental toughness has been mentioned.  Yup, this is probably most critical, and the hardest to develop.  I find that minds tend to shut down long before bodies do; rare is the soldier who literally drives himself until his body gives up (though they do exist).  Ruck marches are, generally, BORING...a bored mind is idle, and idle minds will almost always find a way to entertain themselves, even if it's just to explore how miserable they are.  You need to perform mental exercises while you march.  Count things, play tactical decision games with yourself ("if a sniper fired at me from that window, what would I do?  where would I go?  what sort of fire position would I take up?  what message, exactly, would I relay to my section?  Okay, what if an MG fired at me from that tree-line...?"), talk to buddies (if you're able and allowed to), make up stories in your head about people you see ("that guy over there...what if he's a terrorist?  Where did he come from, and what's he planning?")...anything to keep your mind engaged.  This presupposes, of course, that you're on an administrative ruck march and aren't moving tactically, in which case your mind should be engaged with keeping yourself situationally aware (which you can do anyway, as another mental exercise)

I have a friend who's instructors let him take a small discrete MP3 player on the ruck marches that are for exercise (not on an exercise though).

And drink that water. I've seen a person who didn't like the taste of the water from the canteen not drink squat on a 8km ruck march in the dead heat of summer at Camp Aldershot. He completed it, passed out and the MIR had to haul out the doctor to where he was to put in several IV's for liquid. His body was contorting bad from the lack of water in his muscles. It was probably one of the worst idiot moves Ive ever seen in my life.

When your done a march and feeling parched and tired a good can of non-caffienated pop is good for you because it helps the muscles and so forth respond better (heard this from a guy who did a lot in the desert as a doctor, can't remember exactly why), but make sure to keep the water to you.

dglad pretty well hit it on the nose though.

I found this link by doing some research tonight and I will be starting this along with my diet plan on Monday...hope this helps

www.buildingbodies.ca/blog/2005/02/military-fitness.shtml

Well I just did a ruck march with about 80lbs in my small pack (sorry I like it better then the ruck, but still think both are junk) my boots and my tac vest. The weight doesnt seem to be as big of an issue as packing it properly which is my problem to sort out, and supporting it with a better waist belt system to take pressure off my shoulders. Hopefully the new ruck gets to me before BIQ and helps at least somewhat, but I think compared to the average fresh recruit I should be golden.

Non issue boots help too  :D

Well I just did a ruck march with about 80lbs in my small pack (sorry I like it better then the ruck, but still think both are junk) my boots and my tac vest.

How did you manage to fit 80lbs worth of gear in your small pack, man? Did you weigh it?

Don't hold it against me of I'm skeptical about that weight. The only way I see it happening is a 45lb and a 35lb plate. Or maybe if you lined your smallpack with a garbage bag and filled it with sand. My ruck at 77lbs was summer and winter kitlist, a few other random things, plus (IIRC) 15lbs of plates. There was no way I was fitting all that in a small pack.

I don't know how long you've been rucking, but one thing that should have been meantioned earlier in this thread is that you need to be working up the weight. My guess is that if you're asking what the standard is, you havn't been doing it for very long. 80lbs right off the bat is asking for an injury.

Wonderbread said:
How did you manage to fit 80lbs worth of gear in your small pack, man? Did you weigh it?

Don't hold it against me of I'm skeptical about that weight. The only way I see it happening is a 45lb and a 35lb plate. Or maybe if you lined your smallpack with a garbage bag and filled it with sand. My ruck at 77lbs was summer and winter kitlist, a few other random things, plus (IIRC) 15lbs of plates. There was no way I was fitting all that in a small pack.

I don't know how long you've been rucking, but one thing that should have been meantioned earlier in this thread is that you need to be working up the weight. My guess is that if you're asking what the standard is, you havn't been doing it for very long. 80lbs right off the bat is asking for an injury.

My unit uses the small pack instead of the ruck, so I have it done up in a sort of patrol pack fashion with all the extra pouches attached. I did use plates, but more then 2 to get to the weight and so I could spread it around. With valise added to the mix, it weighed in at 80lbs. It was far from ideal I assure you, and I'd much prefer a better setup.

I just had to prove to myself that I could put that much on my back, but point taken on injuries.

Thanks again.

hey man to your question no bodybuilding is not a good way to prepare i am a advid competing bodybuilder and i found that when it came down for me to start getting ready for my trainning year i started doing workouts that envolved lighter weights but with more reps , as a bodybuilder the running is the hardest part gainning mass and muscle are two major things in bodybuilding and they do not go well with the exercises and activity that go along with the military as i found out lol, my reccomendation is doing a lighter weight for more reps for about 3 sets  trainning about 4 times a week this gets your body conditioned and toned .
if your looking for some more info id reccomend going over to a site im on its cagedanimal.net or go to bodybuilding .com and search some workouts.

hope it helped

popnfresh said:
Well I just did a ruck march with about 80lbs in my small pack (sorry I like it better then the ruck, but still think both are junk) my boots and my tac vest. The weight doesnt seem to be as big of an issue as packing it properly which is my problem to sort out, and supporting it with a better waist belt system to take pressure off my shoulders. Hopefully the new ruck gets to me before BIQ and helps at least somewhat, but I think compared to the average fresh recruit I should be golden.

Non issue boots help too  :D

Other than wanting to test yourself, why would you put 80 lb in a patrol pack when the BFT only calls for approx 50 lb straight up total weight, incl helmet, TV and weapon? If I wanted to carry extra over and above, I'd do it with equipment designed for that load.

Not with a Cadpat book bag.

Your not willing to sacrifice your feet, hence the special boots, but think nothing about your back?

dglad said:
.... You want to keep as much weight as possible close to your centre of gravity, which is generally around your belt buckle. ....
I was under the impression you wanted to keep all the heavy items high and tight to your back. This has been told to me by many sect commanders and in an awesome book, SAS Survival Handbook by John 'Lofty' Wiseman.

Back