• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lord Strathcona's New Toys [Leopard 2A4M]

Tank Troll said:
Hahaha when I delivered that ARV to Maint troopp in MSG one of the guys said "That f&*king umbrella looks f&*king stupid we will never us it, what a waste of money.

Must have been a Reg Force wag. None of the Reserve wrench turners I worked with would have said something like that. In fact, it wouldn't be long before we would have rigged up something similar if the ARV showed up without it. :nod:

Wow. Do they come with a warranty. And can you extend it.  :bowing:
Bless the tank God's.
Recceguy Hi ole pard.
Best Regard's all Zipperhead's.
Cheer's.
Scoty B

cupper said:
Must have been a Reg Force wag. None of the Reserve wrench turners I worked with would have said something like that. In fact, it wouldn't be long before we would have rigged up something similar if the ARV showed up without it. :nod:

Seems to me there aren't any ARV's in the PRes. And no PRes R411 techs qualified unless they are double dippers.

Ahh, Calgary - that thing pulled me out of more than one sticky situation....

Just two questions from an old tanker (literally). I notice on the Strathcona's Leo 2 information sheet (dated 21 Feb 11) that they will have three distinct variants (Leo 2A4 (9), 2A4M (11) and 2A6M (20)). I was wondering if it is likely the variants will be grouped by squadron or troop or whatever. And how are current tank squadrons organized? 4 x 4 + 3 in SHQ? Having served on Centurion and Leo C1 it is wonderful to see us finally getting leading-edge tanks.

The Sqn's are currently 3 x 4 with SHQ having 2-3. As for how the Tanks will be split by variant, we only have A4M right now.

I have yet to be able to take a look inside, we guys in HQ Sqn were told to keep our paws off of them! I think a peek is an order after spending two full days clearing all the old crap out of the white whale.

They still look nice and fresh, I love how the ECM antenna still have the bubblewrap on them.

Rumour has it we can't even take them to the field yet because it'll take another year or two to get an ARV large enough to tow them. I thought it pretty menacing that these bad boys don't even fit in the tank barn doors.  :nana:

Trooper Paraflare said:
I have yet to be able to take a look inside, we guys in HQ Sqn were told to keep our paws off of them! I think a peek is an order after spending two full days clearing all the old crap out of the white whale.

They still look nice and fresh, I love how the ECM antenna still have the bubblewrap on them.

Rumour has it we can't even take them to the field yet because it'll take another year or two to get an ARV large enough to tow them. I thought it pretty menacing that these bad boys don't even fit in the tank barn doors.  :nana:

For once the rumours are right.

Technoviking said:
4823_100530811231_623831231_2506517_264076_n.jpg

Arggghhhhhh, I was sooooooo hoping never to see that again!!  8)

Trooper Paraflare said:

Do they have that new tank smell too?

cupper said:

Not that there are many in right now that actually knows what a new tank smells like.        ::)

In reality, these tanks are new to us....not new.

cupper said:

New tank smell? gear oil, grease, diesel, paint,  as opposed to old tank smell mud,  sweat, diesel, grease, gear oil, paint, cordite.

Man its awesome to see some new tanks coming in, my friend tells me they've been  worth the wait. Hopefully these will open up some new positions.  Anyone know how long until all the A4M's have been delivered to each regiment?

My Regt will be the only one with 2 Tank Sqn's. The composite Tank Sqn in Gagetown will be the only other unit to receive them, and it is RCD badged with some exceptions.

Tango18A said:
My Regt will be the only one with 2 Tank Sqn's. The composite Tank Sqn in Gagetown will be the only other unit to receive them, and it is RCD badged with some exceptions.

So the Queen's Cavalry  ;) will have how many total Leo 2s then? 2 tank sqn doesn't really sound like a lot, but I do know the LdSH(RC) also have a Recce sqn and RHQ/HQ sqn (which, should have tanks as well should it not?).

Edit: Never mind, I missed the post at the top of the page.  :facepalm:

I know our Leo 1's are really getting long in the tooth, but it is sad we couldn't cascade our vehs down like the Germans did when they got their Leo 2's into mass production and moved their Leo 1's into the Recce role, cascading them down to the Aufklärung Battalions. 

Just the Tanker in me wishful thinking/dreaming.

Tango18A said:
Just redesignate them as TAPV, problem solved.  ;D

Except for the issue of parts.....and not enough people in the Corps to man everything....

Back