• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Loss of a kidney

orange.paint

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here can give me a full answer but here it goes.

I'm having my baby now in a few days they are worried about one kidney.Later in life if I was a donor can i give a kidney? I recall hearing something about if you only have one kidney you cannot remain in the army.

Now in saying this they are just taking a precaution and told us not to worry about it.Most likely it's nothing at all.But I thought I would pose the question just out of interest sake.

cheers

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? I have a relative in need of a kidney, and am considering being tested for a match. It would be nice to know what the career implications are. I dug around the Medical standards info on the official site but came up empty.
PS I hope rcac_011 has had Baby by now?? If so congrats hope it all went well.
Thanks!

I know of at least 2 soldiers who have donated one kidney.  Both are still in the military.  I will hunt for more information reference implications.
Kirsten

Here are a couple of links.  The first is the policy and the second is the annex B to the first. 

Policy Statement

CF members have the same freedom to donate organs as other Canadians. Although a member of the CF will not normally be prohibited from donating an organ or bone marrow, the absence of such a prohibition should not be construed as constituting official approval. Upon receipt of a request from a living member of the CF to donate an organ or bone marrow the potential donor will be counselled/briefed by both a Medical Officer and a Legal Officer. Following an organ or bone marrow donation an appropriate period of sick leave will be authorized for the recovery period.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/1004_admhrmil_e.asp#1
http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/docs/pdf/1004_admhrmil_AnnexB_e.pdf

Thanks a lot for the links Kirsten.Luckly we don't need to use it as everything turned out fine.Good links for anyone else who may be in similar situations.

cheers

Thank you for posting those links.
I had not thought of asking about any complications of being a member of the CF and being on the bone marrow registry.
I am currently on the registry as a donor, so this information is greatly appreciated....thanks again, Kirsten!

Glad everything turned out ok rcac_011.... :)

My cousin has since had her transplant operation (two days ago); at least now I am informed for the future. Thank you Kirsten.

Back