• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

lots of racist in CF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lerick

Inactive
Reaction score
im a black man born in canada...im just wondering if my background will cause any kind of issues...? 

What sort of issues are you concerned about?  Discrimination, being ostracized or just racist ***holes in general?

Who cares? As far as I have seen in 17 years..no-one I am glad to say.

racist in general....from other soldier!or if a soldier call me by the N word can i kick his ass...or wait to be outside the base!

Corporal Ainsworth Dyer, PPCLI was a black man born in Canada.  Until I saw pictures in the paper, I didn't know he was black.  The army, the press, and I didn't care.  He was army green, just like everyone else who does their job in the army, and he was one of ours.

I wouldn't expect you to see too many more racists in the CF than anywhere else in Canada.  Any stories I have heard about people in the army meeting racist types were mostly of the "you wouldn't believe this guy..." kinda stories.  On deployment, there may be a certain amount of cross-cultural friction that is normal for all human beings, but it's nothing you wouldn't be used to seeing anywhere else.

The beauty of Canada as a whole is that we are culturally insensitive in the best possible sense.  We don't really believe that anyone is different because of the colour of their skin, preferring instead to judge people on the content of their character.  

theres no racism in the CF as far as I'm concerned, but if you go in with the attitude "racist in general....from other soldier!or if a soldier call me by the N word can i kick his ***...or wait to be outside the base!"

that's just wrong attitude to have..period.

Lerick,
As someone before me stated there are probabally on average the same number of racists in the CF as in the general public. However, in my experience I have seen people be arrested and kicked out of the military for racism. They were reported and removed quite quickly. It is not accepted at all.
And about anyone using the N word...If there are still people in this world stupid or ignorant enough to use it they should not be serving in our armed forces.
A word of advice... You will meet lots of great people of many different races and religions be open to their experiences and concerns as well, racism is not a one way street.

Good luck.

Ben

You should have no problems whatsoever with racism. But, you should realize the difference between people making fun of a stereotype(rednecks, michael jackson etc) and people making fun of a person. The former happens beyond the ears of higher ranks with nearly every joke but the latter is very very rare. Best of luck and don't fight anyone regardless of what they say since you will be charged also and will probably get your ass kicked.

As a visible minority i can say yes there are racist people in the CF.  I've had to deal with a couple myself.  These kinds of people are few and far between.  The CF as an organization does not tolerate this sort of stuff.  Most of your peers will not tolerate that sort of behaviour.  The few people who hold those kinds of ignorant views will not air them because they know they will just get burnt. 

Soldiers in the CF are far more accountable than Joe civi.

DSB

racist in general....from other soldier!or if a soldier call me by the N word can i kick his ***...or wait to be outside the base!

No one in the army is black. No one in the army is white. We're all green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back