• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lying on Medical

Yoloda

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this site and I just wanted to ask this question. How does a recruit get caught after lying during the medical?

My best friend is currently going through the process of joining and he is not planning on telling that he was diagnosed with adhd a few years back, and has been taking prescription meds for it. I've tried to talk him out of it but he says you can't really get caught.

I've looked around and didn't see anything that said exactly how one could get caught, especially for a mind issue. Many have said you definitely WILL get caught... but i haven't seen anyone explain how. Do they pull up your civilian medical history once your in?

I hope that he doesn't go through with it as being kicked out of the military only has negative effects.

Thanks in advance

Yoloda said:
Hi,

I'm new to this site and I just wanted to ask this question. How does a recruit get caught after lying during the medical?

My best friend is currently going through the process of joining and he is not planning on telling that he was diagnosed with adhd a few years back, and has been taking prescription meds for it. I've tried to talk him out of it but he says you can't really get caught.

I've looked around and didn't see anything that said exactly how one could get caught, especially for a mind issue. Many have said you definitely WILL get caught... but i haven't seen anyone explain how. Do they pull up your civilian medical history once your in?

I hope that he doesn't go through with it as being kicked out of the military only has negative effects.

Thanks in advance

There could be several ways to get caught.  One way might be when if he gets in, he will have his OHIP cancelled and all of his prescriptions will be covered by the military.  If he needs this medication to function normally and doesn't have it he will eventually get caught.  I don't think getting kicked out for fraud is what he wants to risk.
Having ADHD isn't something that will exclude his application as far as I know?  I knew a person in the Reg Force in the past who had ADHD and didn't get released.  I also know someone who recently joined the Reserves and mentioned it and they didn't say much about it I was told.  As long as it is controllable it apparently fine.  Who told him he wouldn't be allowed in?

stellarpanther said:
Having ADHD isn't something that will exclude his application as far as I know?  I knew a person in the Reg Force in the pas
t who had ADHD and didn't get released.  I also know someone who recently joined the Reserves and mentioned it and they didn't say much about it I was told.  As long as it is controllable it apparently fine.  Who told him he wouldn't be allowed in?

Hi, and thanks for the response. I believe he got the impression adhd was a no go after searching online... I think it would be controllable so he might be ok....

How good is the cf at finding people who lie about their medical info? If he wouldn't get away with it anyway I'd like to tell him.

Yoloda said:
Hi, and thanks for the response. I believe he got the impression adhd was a no go after searching online... I think it would be controllable so he might be ok....

How good is the cf at finding people who lie about their medical info? If he wouldn't get away with it anyway I'd like to tell him.
I think it would depend on what the issue/condition is.  My advice would be to tell the truth on all of the questions and where necessary provide detail such as saying it's under control. I'm not sure what kind of medical background check they do if any other than what you tell them.

Typically if a person can go without a medication for over 6 months, then it is not an issue. If they are unable to go without the medication then it will eventually be realized, as mentioned, since RegF members are unable to receive prescriptions without the military being aware. Plus, does your friend think that their medical and prescription history will not be accessible by CAF Health Services? Such a scenario would most likely lead to a release (irregular enrolment) as well as charges for fraud.

winds_13 said:
Typically if a person can go without a medication for over 6 months, then it is not an issue. If they are unable to go without the medication then it will eventually be realized, as mentioned, since RegF members are unable to receive prescriptions without the military being aware. Plus, does your friend think that their medical and prescription history will not be accessible by CAF Health Services? Such a scenario would most likely lead to a release (irregular enrolment) as well as charges for fraud.

I think that he probably doesn't know that it is accessible? If it is, I definitely dont think he would go through with it. Thank you for your help.

winds_13 said:

As per my understanding, they have to request medical records from the province that the member was in if they want to see what is in the civilian records. At least, i know that's how it works in Alberta.
No one can look at a medical record in Alberta as a third party unless the patient has provided written consent. If they do, it violates FOIP policy.
I had a friend that needed to provide his records from Ontario while he was serving, and they made him go through the trouble of requesting them and getting a hold of them.

Also, i am by no means endorsing lying about your medical , but i have heard that its a very common thing that recruits do. So there is that.....

But correct me if i am wrong.

FYI, there is a National Defence Act charge specific to lying during your application  (S 122 NDA):

122. Every person who knowingly

(a) makes a false answer to any question set out in any document required to be completed, or

(b) furnishes any false information or false document,

in relation to the enrolment of that person is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to imprisonment for less than two years or to less punishment."

There is also related release item, 1D:

TABLE TO ARTICLE 15.01
1. Misconduct:
D.Fraudulent Statement on Enrolment.
who, at time of enrolment, made a fraudulent statement which, having regard to the circumstances under which it was made and its effect, warrants release under this item; a false statement as to age made by an underage applicant, or a minor oversight or ambiguous statement made through enthusiasm to join the forces, should not result in release under this category. 

For what it's worth, when I see a doctor on the base they don't seem to have any issue accessing my medical records input by civilian physicians in Ontario, Manitoba, or Alberta. Part of the application process is aggreeing to disclose one's medical history.

Yes, i understand those. But what i am saying is you can't access certain records unless the patient is notified and can sign off on it.

I doubt that Ontario and Alberta use the same data base for healthcare. Alberta uses Netcare, which will soon be connect care. These are usually province based, and a pain in the ass to get records  from if you are a requestor from another province.

I only know this because i work with these programs daily in Alberta.

Once again, i am by no means endorsing lying on an application.

EastonPacman said:
As per my understanding, they have to request medical records from the province that the member was in if they want to see what is in the civilian records. At least, i know that's how it works in Alberta.
No one can look at a medical record in Alberta as a third party unless the patient has provided written consent. If they do, it violates FOIP policy.
I had a friend that needed to provide his records from Ontario while he was serving, and they made him go through the trouble of requesting them and getting a hold of them.

Also, i am by no means endorsing lying about your medical , but i have heard that its a very common thing that recruits do. So there is that.....

But correct me if i am wrong.

Unless they were trying to accuse him of lying on enrollment and then it would be him that would want to get the records to prove something wasn't true, they can't force him to go back and get copies of his civilian health records.  I know that for a fact unless it is a recent thing which I doubt.  As well, contrary to popular belief, if you go to a civilian hospital for something, you can't be forced to sign a release so they can get those records.  There was talk in the that if you didn't they might choose not to pay the medical bill but that was even questionable as to whether they could do that or not.

Have you had experience with this?

Sorry, i think my information is wrong then compared to yours.

Tell your friend that he needs to be honest, no matter what. They can and will be dishonorably discharged if found out.

I have ADHD and declared this. It's better to tell the truth than to lie. I know having to get paperwork filled out can be a drag but it honestly looks so much better on you if you're honest with anything like that.

They can ask anytime your medical records and no one doctor will lie on this document and when everything will come out clear then is done with CAF, need to be honest and say true doesn’t matter what will happen. Who get caught probably never will get chance to work any kind of job for Govrement.

Back