• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M113 / AVGP / Bison Driver "weather protection?"

Steve 1 RNFLDR

Inactive
Reaction score
Howdy.

Anybody who has done any winter road moves in a Bison is well-acquainted with the Arctic blast through the driver's hatch which is directed at the crew commander. 

A month or so ago, I heard somebody mention that the M113 had something like a kayak skirt to fit around the driver; would anybody be able to provide me further information or ideas on how I might reduce the draft from the driver's hatch, other than force-feeding my driver doughnuts and fried chicken?

I drove M113, Grizley, Bison, coyote, Cougar and never saw something like that issued. It was made by someone.

Wear your winter gear and mukluks and you'll be fine.

Regards

I had one of the old heavy rubber ponchos that I secured around the hatch ring with bungies.  It was a prototype idea that lasted one exercise.  It worked, but was a major pain in the ass to set up each time we moved the vehicle, and made it tough to see all around me.

Like NH said - dress for the weather.  Sometimes the driver's windscreen on the Bison helped me a bit as CC, but cold weather gear and a functional heater went a long way...I had seen guys do what Kat suggested with the ponchos, but it is a pain to set up all the time.

MM

Kat Stevens said:
I had one of the old heavy rubber ponchos that I secured around the hatch ring with bungies.  It was a prototype idea that lasted one exercise.  It worked, but was a major pain in the ass to set up each time we moved the vehicle, and made it tough to see all around me.

I used to do that with my Ferret, without the bungees though.

recceguy said:
Obviously -- elastic hadn't been invented way back then.  :whistle:

recceguy said:
didn't you use sliced up inter tubes back then?  :stirpot:

Kat Stevens said:
I had one of the old heavy rubber ponchos that I secured around the hatch ring with bungies.  It was a prototype idea that lasted one exercise.  It worked, but was a major pain in the *** to set up each time we moved the vehicle, and made it tough to see all around me.
I've seen drivers do this before too.

I did see a canopy once in the field, I believe it was an Arty carrier (M113) and the driver had a Plexiglas canopy that clamped down over the hatch. We were all gob-smacked when we saw it! Didn't get any pics nor have I seen one since but I swear it was real.... Sort of a helicopter bubble with a flat windshield at the front complete with windshield wiper.. We were all bundled up (I was driving my TOW carrier)  and the guy driving the canopy carrier wasn't even wearing a jacket, just his regular combats, beret and head set... under glass of course.. ;-)

my72jeep said:
didn't you use sliced up inter tubes back then?  :stirpot:

Probably animal sinews, and when he said Ferret I don't think he meant the scout car  >:D:whiteflag:

I have seen pictures (and might have some at home) of the Centurion driver cover, I have seen both official and unofficial driver screens  for the Ferret driver and homemade screens for the commander. have also seen a hood/window thing for the M113 driver, complete with windshield wiper. For the LAV, etc don't they have a plex screen that hatch fits over forming a seal, but improving the drivers vision?

Colin P said:
For the LAV, etc don't they have a plex screen that hatch fits over forming a seal, but improving the drivers vision?

Yea, I don't remember how well it seals but it is there.  Usually only used administratively though.  The CC has one as well, again usually only used administratively.

I don't know if it improves the driver's ability to see around them but all my drivers have said that they had better vision hatches down.

Poor quality picture but this one from when they roamed the streets of Toronto when Mel asked for the Army to help shovel out......

923124-jpg_170749.jpg

Jan.14, 1999--A Canadian Forces Bison armoured personnel carrier drives into the Toronto downtown core Friday morning. …

Edited to add a larger pic.

With the M113s we had in 2RCR in the early 1980s, there was a semi-circular plexi windshied that was designed to mount around the front half of the driver's hatch. It was a simple arced sheet of plexi, about 10 mm thick that extended upwards about to 45 cm in the centre. It helped to break the wind, but if the was any precipitation (rain, slow, sleet, cats & dogs), the crew commander was often out of his hatch trying to act as a windshield wiper for the driver. I doubt many of these still exist today.

For heat control around the crew commander, it helped to arrange a tarp or ground sheets from floor to ceiling extending from the sidewall behind the driver, around the crew commander's seat post and then to the right hand wall. This cut down the space the heater was trying to warm and increased the chances of having some of the heat get to the driver.

The Malaysians built versions with a raised hard top, with and without turrets. They weren't shy about modifying things as you can see with this Lynx and Ferret turret.

IMG_5211.jpg

If you look closely at the Bison/Coyote windshield there are two holes for tubes near the top. This is for the full protection kit that I have not seen in a long time. It had a small frame that extended rearward with some cheap fabric to protect and enclose the driver.

This is one of those things you never think to get a photo of until about 20 years later eh?

Bzzliteyr said:
If you look closely at the Bison/Coyote windshield there are two holes for tubes near the top. This is for the full protection kit that I have not seen in a long time. It had a small frame that extended rearward with some cheap fabric to protect and enclose the driver.

This is one of those things you never think to get a photo of until about 20 years later eh?

Saw one kit in 1989 on my D&M course. It was in horrible shape and I haven't seen one since. Pretty much useless especially when you may have to button up or dismount at any time.

Regards

The canopy for the bison windshield?  We've got loads of 'em in our TN stores.  Most in fairly new condition, with frames.  They don't do bugger-all for the aforementioned wind whistling past the bottom half of the crew commander, though.

Back