• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Making my application more attractive to recruiters

Mike92

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As most of you know, Infantry is closed/not hiring at the moment  :crybaby:  :rage: and this is the trade I am most interested in. I was told by a recruiter that at the beginning of the new fiscal year (April 1) the new information as to how many new recruits they need will be sent to them.

He also said that because there aren't many openings for Infantry and pretty much all combat trades, the recruiting process is very competitive. He mentioned I should think about post-secondary education to make my application more appealing and to increase my chances of being selected. He said, for instance,  I could get my Heavy Equipment Operator certificate because it relates to what Combat Engineers do. It didn't make sense to me to learn something I would be taught in the Forces anyway. ???

Has anyone else been told this by a recruiter? What sort of civilian courses could I take that would help me get selected for Infantry?

Thanks for reading.

With respect,

Mike92

I can't help you out with any  courses geared specifically to Infantry, but basically taking (and being successful at) any course will show initiative and a desire for "life long learning", which in turn, will reflect well on any application. Continuing education will always be a positive mark, no matter which path you chose.

Having any kind of post secondary training is always a positive, both for the CF and the public/private sector workforces. It proves that you are both committed and trainable, regardless of whether the degree/diploma/certificate is related to the job you are applying for our not.

If I was in the position where I had to choose between two candidates for a job opening, one straight out of high school and one with high school plus a certificate in nose picking, I'd lean toward choosing the one with the certificate as it shows they had the conviction to start and finish something.

Seriously though, having training in something that would be related to the position/trade you are applying to shows that you understand the requirements of the position, and have been 'certified' as being able to perform said job. It is likely that the recruiter suggested the Heavy Equipment Operator certificate as either an example or a second option he/she thinks you might consider.

As far as courses that might help with making your application more attractive for an Infantry position, anything related to being a Security Guard or Police Officer would be my guess.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Cheers

If a recruiter has told you a plan of action to make yourself more competitive, then why not just stick to that advice without second guessing it?

Why don't you just apply for combat engineer if all you want is a combat trade? I was in CFRC Toronto a couple weeks ago and they were just setting up some guy with his CFAT for that trade, I'm guessing (I don't know for sure it's not my interest) that it's still taking applications.

Mike92 said:
Hey everyone,

As most of you know, Infantry is closed/not hiring at the moment  :crybaby:  :rage: and this is the trade I am most interested in. I was told by a recruiter that at the beginning of the new fiscal year (April 1) the new information as to how many new recruits they need will be sent to them.

He also said that because there aren't many openings for Infantry and pretty much all combat trades, the recruiting process is very competitive. He mentioned I should think about post-secondary education to make my application more appealing and to increase my chances of being selected. He said, for instance,  I could get my Heavy Equipment Operator certificate because it relates to what Combat Engineers do. It didn't make sense to me to learn something I would be taught in the Forces anyway. ???

Has anyone else been told this by a recruiter? What sort of civilian courses could I take that would help me get selected for Infantry?

Thanks for reading.

With respect,

Mike92

If you read the forces website you will see that there is no civilian equivalent.  I believe the wording is "this job is uniquely military"  Infantry is actually the easiest trade to get into from a educational point of view everyone who passes the CFAT qualifies, it is also likely one of the most sought after hence the most difficult to get into.  It's all about numbers.  People applying versus jobs available.

If you do well on your CFAT you will have more choices come available.  As the people who did worse than you have limited occupations to choose from.

A quick fix that is well recognized on all job applications that helps put you ahead of the crowd is some real volunteer experience.  I don't mean a cancer walk and donating ten bucks.  But actually getting dirty and servicing up meals and handing out clothes to people who live on the street through a local church or soup kitchen.  They'll want a police background check ($20 to $30 bucks) make sure you don't have a criminal record and your good to go. You don't have to do to do it all the time, I haven't volunteered in over a year now myself.  Point being is you did it, and you showed the effort.  Soup kitchen shows you recognize the seriousness of poverty in Canada, collecting money for cancer research no so much so, although it still nice and all.

Don't limit yourself to just infinity, you maybe in for a disappointment. #1 it's now 20 years later and you have no civilian job skills and are looking to discharge from the military.  I'm a general contractor in housing market.  infantry does not help my business, but a construction tech in the army would be attractive.

#2 the recession that has been dragging on and on.  Job numbers are down, and likely will remain down until Canada become more profitable again, this could be next year, it could be a few years, profits are tight for our Federal Government, Ergo they have to limit Military spending right now until the economy rebounds.  This puts more pressure on infantry job numbers making it that much harder to get into.

i know they have taken a lot of Combat Engineers and ACISS this year, the only army jobs left are the one that works with stock, ACISS and Artillery.  This as of 3 weeks ago.  Artillery and stock only had a few slots left and could be full now.  Meaning only I.T. stuff remains, plus whatever is out there for Air Force and Navy.

Hope this helps

Let's all remember that the CF does not owe anyone a job and that the jobs out there are going to be, and remain, super competitive. When you think you've done enough there is still more that you can try.

There are guys here, through no fault of their own, who have been waiting YEARS and jumping through numerous hoops. Relax and go get your physical fitness in good order, volunteer, get distance between you and those summary convictions, get yourself out of debt - whatever.

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. You guys brought up stuff I never really thought of.

I was in the Cadets for 6+ years and I have volunteered with the Salvation Army so I'm hoping that will help me.

Reaper-1, although Combat Engineer, along with Artillery are both interesting, Infantry is my number one choice at the moment. If a spot opens up for another combat trade besides Infantry, such as Combat Engineer then... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it (and maybe blow it up ;D).

In terms of post-secondary education, I have been thinking about a Close Protection course or one of those 'tactical firearms' courses as close protection work is one of the few appealing civilian jobs. Foreign language training is also looking good as there are numerous courses offered at many colleges and universities.

Thanks again for all the replies.

With respect,

Mike92

I get you but what I'm saying is that you're AT that bridge - the combat engineer trade is open right now (or if it isn't, you must have just recently missed it). The website says taking applications and I've seen people being processed at the CFRC. Give them a call and check to make sure. Why wait until April for infantry even when there's no guarantee it will open? Keep doing everything you're doing in terms of looking for post-secondary and bettering yourself but definitely put in an application for combat engineer right now, even if you're just doing it to start your processing. Look at it this way: It will take you several months to get all your stuff processed and if in those months the infantry trade opens up, all you need to say at some point in that process is that you want to interview for that trade as well. The only difference in processing is they need to ask a few extra questions in your interview. The CFAT, medicals, waiting, everything else is the same from the applicant side. If you apply now, you beat the rush when/if the inf. trade finally opens AND if it never does, you have the chance to be an engineer within a few months.

Mike92 said:
Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. You guys brought up stuff I never really thought of.

I was in the Cadets for 6+ years and I have volunteered with the Salvation Army so I'm hoping that will help me.

Reaper-1, although Combat Engineer, along with Artillery are both interesting, Infantry is my number one choice at the moment. If a spot opens up for another combat trade besides Infantry, such as Combat Engineer then... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it (and maybe blow it up ;D).

In terms of post-secondary education, I have been thinking about a Close Protection course or one of those 'tactical firearms' courses as close protection work is one of the few appealing civilian jobs. Foreign language training is also looking good as there are numerous courses offered at many colleges and universities.

Thanks again for all the replies.

With respect,

Mike92

Mike92 said:
Infantry is my number one choice at the moment. If a spot opens up for another combat trade besides Infantry, such as Combat Engineer then... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it (and maybe blow it up ;D).

That statement contradicts what you posted earlier,  unless you have changed your mind in the last few months?

Mike92 said:
Recruiting Centre/Unit: The Ontario Regiment (Oshawa, Ontario)
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Crewman
Trade Choice 2: RMS Clerk
Trade Choice 3: -
Application Date: November, 2011
First Contact: March 22, 2012

Mike92 said:
In terms of post-secondary education, I have been thinking about a Close Protection course or one of those 'tactical firearms' courses as close protection work is one of the few appealing civilian jobs.

Irrelevant. you won't get a civilian close protection job without substantial military or police experience. And those on that course will have that experience already- you'll be far behind the curve. Conversely, the close protection role is so specialized as to be a good ways apart from what the combat arms do in the normal course of things. Likewise, a civilian shooting course is likely to drill into you ways of shooting that differ from what we do.

You're trying to buy yourself TactiCool qualifications thinking it'll help you get into the infantry. It really won't. You want to have a more attractive application, learn some French, volunteer, and find opportunities to demonstrate leadership. They don't need to be spectacular or interesting. Go to school, but actual school- 'post secondary education' doesn't include some civvie run gunfighter course. It's college or university.

Reaper-1 said:
I get you but what I'm saying is that you're AT that bridge - the combat engineer trade is open right now (or if it isn't, you must have just recently missed it). The website says taking applications and I've seen people being processed at the CFRC. Give them a call and check to make sure. Why wait until April for infantry even when there's no guarantee it will open? Keep doing everything you're doing in terms of looking for post-secondary and bettering yourself but definitely put in an application for combat engineer right now, even if you're just doing it to start your processing. Look at it this way: It will take you several months to get all your stuff processed and if in those months the infantry trade opens up, all you need to say at some point in that process is that you want to interview for that trade as well. The only difference in processing is they need to ask a few extra questions in your interview. The CFAT, medicals, waiting, everything else is the same from the applicant side. If you apply now, you beat the rush when/if the inf. trade finally opens AND if it never does, you have the chance to be an engineer within a few months.

Don't do this. The last thing we need is another person who doesn't want to be an engineer....being an engineer.

Reaper-1, I thought about that for a while but i agree with Towards_the_gap because I wouldn't want to join up unless I was really keen on that trade. The recruiter said that the Combat Engineer trade was closed when I talked to him.

-Skeletor-, I have cancelled my old application for the Reserves and have resubmitted a new one for the Regular Force after MUCH thought and a lot of research both on this site and others.

Brihard, you're absolutely right, and I've read that one must first start out as conventional security guards/doormen to gain experience and contacts before going CP. The guys at Close Protection World forums have said that if one doesn't have the military or police experience they will have a much harder time attaining employment then ex-mil/LE guys. Even with the extra civvi security experience, many overseas high-risk assignments are usually given to the ex-mil/LE crowd, which makes sense.

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming.

With respect,

Mike92

Mike92 said:
-Skeletor-, I have cancelled my old application for the Reserves and have resubmitted a new one for the Regular Force after MUCH thought and a lot of research both on this site and others.

Ack

Mike92 said:
I've read that one must first start out as conventional security guards/doormen to gain experience and contacts before going CP.
I would think that those pers who started off as low level security guards/doormen would be the minority.  Also within Canada there is unarmed domestic Close Protection(don't really need any/much experience for),  working with the larger firms(that work overseas) would require more.  Majority are pers who with Mil/LEO experience,  also just having Military experience(unless you have XX qual/experience) isn't going open all kinds of doors either. 

IMO,  don't concern yourself with that stuff,  even with the course it won't help you.. great you know how to do things the way they taught you on a course,  but it won't be the same as what you will have to learn for the Infantry.  At the battalion I was with on my previous posting there was a young Infantryman who took a civvie run "sniper" course(either before the CF or on leave) and was talking it up, etc..  I don't recall that going to well for him as he was saying this to the Recce Pl and Snipers.

Like Brihard said,  there are much better things to do to make your application be competitive,  civvie shooting courses, etc aren't it.

-Skeletor-, I agree 100%. I've also been looking at some conventional college courses such as Blasting and Health and Fitness Promotion.

Thanks for all the good (read: excellent) advice... yet again, LOL.

forums.army.ca= best site on the internet/top of my favourites list  :)

With respect,

Mike92

If you take w.e courses the recruiter said to you can always use that in your interview. "i took xyz course because the recruiter said it would be a good idea". Might improve your image in the eyes of the recruiting officers.

davidc538 said:
If you take w.e courses the recruiter said to you can always use that in your interview. "i took xyz course because the recruiter said it would be a good idea". Might improve your image in the eyes of the recruiting officers.

I'd tell you to stay in your lane, but you wouldn't even know what that means. You aren't even in the military, never mind recruiting, and least of all in any position to tell someone what will stand him in good stead for infantry. He doesn't need bad advice from civilians when he's getting sound advice from serving members.

Brihard:  mod edit to fix quote box for clarity

Brihard said:
davidc538 said:

I'd tell you to stay in your lane, but you wouldn't even know what that means. You aren't even in the military, never mind recruiting, and least of all in any position to tell someone what will stand him in good stead for infantry. He doesn't need bad advice from civilians when he's getting sound advice from serving members.

You're probably right, those job hunting courses college students have to take keep tricking me into thinking I know something about job interviews.

And "stay in your lane" isn't exactly something you'll only hear in the military.

davidc538 said:
You're probably right, those job hunting courses college students have to take keep tricking me into thinking I know something about job interviews.

And "stay in your lane" isn't exactly something you'll only hear in the military.

You know much less on the subject than you seem to believe you do. You are not qualified to offer any meaningful insight on recruiting to the infantry, whereas a number of other members here who ARE in the military already are. Your ability to shoot back a snarky reply doesn't buy you any more credibility. Perhaps it's conceit on my part, but I suspect my close to nine years in the infantry and my (admittedly limited) experience in recruiting offers at least a little bit of insight that a civilian cannot possess.

davidc538 said:

Holy s**t !!! You went to college !!!

::)

Well since you are familiar with the concept, turn your signal light on and move the f*** over.

Back