• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mandatory to live on campus in University?

Bellus88

Inactive
Reaction score
Ive been thinking of trying out for the Basic Officer Qualification once I get a University acceptance later in 2009 so I can prove to the Canadian forces Ive been accepted. Id prefer to go to a civilian university. On this web site it says it's mandatory to live on campus in a University for the Regular Officer Training plan.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_2_2.asp

I really don't want to live on campus in University because of rent costs and it's not really my type of atmosphere either. Id prefer to live at home and attend a university since I got a basement apartment anyway with no rent costs. Im going to apply to UTM (University of Toronto Mississauga), is it really mandatory to live on campus? Aren't their exceptions? UTM is close to my house I can get their easily. I don't see why living on campus is a must.

Im interested in Military police,JAG and maybe Public relations. My issue is what do you have to get a degree in? I am very interested in History and would like to get a BA in that, possibly minoring in Justice/Criminology if necessary.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_2_2.asp said:
Regular Officer Training Plan

The Regular Officer Training Plan begins with academic training at the Royal Military College of Canada or at another Canadian university, followed by full time military service. Under this plan, the cost of tuition, uniforms, books, instruments and other essential fees are borne by the Department of National Defence. Medical and dental care, are also provided. Officer Cadets receive a monthly salary and are responsible for costs such as lodgings and meals. Living on campus is compulsory.

Upon successful completion of the academic and military programs, you will be awarded your degree and granted a commission as an officer in the Canadian Forces. Graduates of the ROTP are obliged to serve a minimum of five years in the Regular (full time) component of the Canadian Forces.

Living on base at RMC is mandatory for ROTP as far as I understand it.  If you're just going for a degree though I don't believe it's a requirement to live on campus.

Bellus88 said:
Ive been thinking of trying out for the Basic Officer Qualification once I get a University acceptance later in 2009 so I can prove to the Canadian forces Ive been accepted. Id prefer to go to a civilian university. On this web site it says it's mandatory to live on campus in a University for the Regular Officer Training plan.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_2_2.asp

I really don't want to live on campus in University because of rent costs and it's not really my type of atmosphere either. Id prefer to live at home and attend a university since I got a basement apartment anyway with no rent costs. Im going to apply to UTM (University of Toronto Mississauga), is it really mandatory to live on campus? Aren't their exceptions? UTM is close to my house I can get their easily. I don't see why living on campus is a must.

Im interested in Military police,JAG and maybe Public relations. My issue is what do you have to get a degree in? I am very interested in History and would like to get a BA in that, possibly minoring in Justice/Criminology if necessary.

I can't speak on CF rules because I'm a civilian, but I currently know one ROTP student at the University of Guelph who is not living on campus. As you say, it's cheaper off campus (and it's quieter too). Many first year students like to live on campus for the first year 'til they are accustomed to their new surroundings.  By second year, they often move off-campus altogether. My guess would be that the CF allows some flexibility--just a  guess though.

ARMY_101 said:
Living on base at RMC is mandatory for ROTP as far as I understand it.  If you're just going for a degree though I don't believe it's a requirement to live on campus.

Living on campus is NOT mandatory for RMC ROTP or civvy U ROTP. RMC 4th years currently have the "option" of living off, however its being discouraged in the next few years. Married and SOME common law RMC cadets also have the "option" of living off. We'll see how it works with Champlain under renovations, and the arrival of the CMR 2nd years on top of the RMC 1st years for school year '09-10.

Civvy U, living on campus is NOT mandatory. I don't know why that forces.ca site doesn't differentiate between civvyU or RMC. A friend of mine is currently Civvy U and is not on campus, but living at home.

And next time, for the sake of actually knowing what you're talking about, stay in your lane.

Understood.  I was saying from the description posted above of the ROTP course at RMC it says that living on base/campus is compulsory.

ARMY_101 said:
Understood.  I was saying from the description posted above of the ROTP course at RMC it says that living on base/campus is compulsory.

You should know not to regurgitate information mindlessly, because that info might be wrong.

cheeky_monkey said:
You should know not to regurgitate information mindlessly, because that info might be wrong.

RELAX!  Honest question, honest answer, based on what CF info sites have provided.

Bellus88,

I had an OJT OCDT working for me who lived off campus at least for his last 2 years.  Not sure about the time prior, but it is possible.

cheeky_monkey said:
Living on campus is NOT mandatory for RMC ROTP or civvy U ROTP. RMC 4th years currently have the "option" of living off, however its being discouraged in the next few years. Married and SOME common law RMC cadets also have the "option" of living off. We'll see how it works with Champlain under renovations, and the arrival of the CMR 2nd years on top of the RMC 1st years for school year '09-10.

Civvy U, living on campus is NOT mandatory. I don't know why that forces.ca site doesn't differentiate between civvyU or RMC. A friend of mine is currently Civvy U and is not on campus, but living at home.

And next time, for the sake of actually knowing what you're talking about, stay in your lane.

Well when I get my University acceptance and if I pass Basic Officer training, I would really want to live off campus going to a civy University. Ill be going in 2009. So it's being discouraged in 2009 now? I just want to be a civilian for the next 4 years in more familiar surroundings.

Bellus88 said:
Well when I get my University acceptance and if I pass Basic Officer training, I would really want to live off campus going to a civy University. Ill be going in 2009. So it's being discouraged in 2009 now? I just want to be a civilian for the next 4 years in more familiar surroundings.

It's being discouraged for the RMC-types, not the Civvie-U types.

cheeky_monkey said:
Married and SOME common law RMC cadets also have the "option" of living off.

Common Law and Married is the same to the eyes of the CF.  So all common Law Cadets have the option of living off, if all Married Cadets have the option.

cheeky_monkey said:

Same applies to you.

cheeky_monkey said:
Living on campus is NOT mandatory for RMC ROTP or civvy U ROTP. RMC 4th years currently have the "option" of living off, however its being discouraged in the next few years.

Discouraged is a very poor choice of words. Next year, 100 4th years will be allowed the option of living off. They must submit a memo, and that memo could rejected. There is no guarantee that they will be permitted to live off. It could always end up that only 90 4th years end up living off, even though 125 applied (for example). If you are failing courses, for example, they may deny your application.

The Cmdt and his COC have repeatedly expressed that they do not like cadets living off, but with the shortage of rooms there is simply no other option; otherwise, living on would be 100% mandatory (excluding married and common law couples) at RMC.

SupersonicMax said:
Common Law and Married is the same to the eyes of the CF.  So all common Law Cadets have the option of living off, if all Married Cadets have the option.

Try explaining that to 2 of the common laws I have in my Sqn. They do not have the option as they have not been common law for 2 or more years. Maybe it was that way when you were at the college, but not anymore.

SupersonicMax said:
Same applies to you.

Debatable.

Lumber said:
Discouraged is a very poor choice of words. Next year, 100 4th years will be allowed the option of living off. They must submit a memo, and that memo could rejected. There is no guarantee that they will be permitted to live off. It could always end up that only 90 4th years end up living off, even though 125 applied (for example). If you are failing courses, for example, they may deny your application.

The Cmdt and his COC have repeatedly expressed that they do not like cadets living off, but with the shortage of rooms there is simply no other option; otherwise, living on would be 100% mandatory (excluding married and common law couples) at RMC.

Bolded emphasis are my own. I would call that discouraged, but in the end its just semantics.

Edit: Clarity.

cheeky_monkey said:
Try explaining that to 2 of the common laws I have in my Sqn. They do not have the option as they have not been common law for 2 or more years. Maybe it was that way when you were at the college, but not anymore.

Are they actually common law or are they TRYING to get the status?  In order to be common law, you eighter need to have a child or reside at the same address for 1 or more year.  RMC Time in the shacks doesn'T count.

If they actually are, I would bring the point up to the CoC as it is discrimination and to the eyes of the CF, there is no difference in being Common Law or Married.

SupersonicMax said:
Are they actually common law or are they TRYING to get the status?  In order to be common law, you eighter need to have a child or reside at the same address for 1 or more year.  RMC Time in the shacks doesn'T count.

If they actually are, I would bring the point up to the CoC as it is discrimination and to the eyes of the CF, there is no difference in being Common Law or Married.

I agree with you, it is discrimination. However, I was told there was an incident last year involving someone who was common law. This person ended the relationship, and therefor his common law status, but wanted to remain living off. Ended up going out with another girl, and was in turn found out by the College for cheating the system, and I would assume the College is now trying to protect itself by implementing the 2 year pre-req.

How is it different from a married guy that ends his marriage but wants to stay off base, end up with an other girl? 

No difference.  I suspect there are other reasons than just being common law.

From reading some of these posts Im getting the impression you can go to a Civilian Uni only if your in a relationship living with someone.

Assuming I pass Basic officer qualification and I get my University acceptence, what I wanted to do was just stay off base getting my degree at a Civi University. It is simple as that but their seems to be a lot of confusion here, would I be able to do this assuming I get all that I listed above?

You will know if you go to RMC or CivU before you go to Basic Training.  You don't need to be married/common law to go to CivU.  The discussion about living off campus only if you're married/common law applies only to RMC cadets.  CivUs do whatever they want.

Bellus88 said:
From reading some of these posts Im getting the impression you can go to a Civilian Uni only if your in a relationship living with someone.

Assuming I pass Basic officer qualification and I get my University acceptence, what I wanted to do was just stay off base getting my degree at a Civi University. It is simple as that but their seems to be a lot of confusion here, would I be able to do this assuming I get all that I listed above?

Not confusing, so much as lots of information getting tossed around.

Yes, you can go to a CivvyU under the ROTP program, you apply to that university, and when you apply under ROTP, you put "CivvyU." If the recruiting centre comes back saying "Hey! You've been accepted for CivvyU," then you only need acceptance to the CivvyU of your choice. Or vice-versa.

YOU need to got DIRECTLY to a CFRC/D and speak with them. STOP trying to get answers from a group of individuals on line, that may, or may not know the full gist of what's going on. The best way to get your answer is to get it from the horse's mouth. CFRC/D is the place to go.

Back