• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

marathon?

elizabeth

Inactive
Reaction score
I was planning on running a Marathon in September. If I continue my training I will be able to accomplish it. I recently broke my hand but I was up to 4 miles a day. I was wondering if BMQ will keep up my running ability to the same level or intensify it? My question really is how hard is PT? Thanks.

Well Take what you can from my advice, its not as insightful as some other may be but here goes. From what i‘m told the PT in BMQ is preaty tense all around, but obviously it‘ll be more intense and extended if you have recruits in your unit that act up or dont do what thier told. DS‘s absolutely love to smoke new recruits especially for doing dumb mistakes....which of course the wole unit pays for. As for the jogging part of it..I‘m preatty sure you wont be doing 4 miles a day at least I hope not cuase theres no way i‘ll survive, theres lot of pushups and other physicaly demanding smokings involved but i think the longest "run/jog" is like 4 miles..the rest are raod marches. Anyone feel free to elabrate or correct anything I‘ve said.

You will Run, you will do push ups, sit ups, and chin ups until the cows come home, you will do webbing marches and Ruck marches. on my course the PT varied from day to day, more often then not we would run. and even though we wernt running for more then an hour at a time for PT, they would run us very fast at times.

the hardest part of a group run if youre not in top physical shape is maintaining the group.. youre running at the instuctors pace not your own, and this can become more difficult when people begin to lag behind and fall out, as you then have to start yo-yo-ing to keep up (speed up to the main group.. then ppl fall out again, so you speed up again.. etc..)

if youre able to run like a Cheetah you shouldnt have many problems running on basic. just remember that alot of the training is simply mind over matter. and that to suceed you all have to work as a team.

Pte_Lajeunesse, please stop using acronyms and terminonolgy that does not exist in the CF. we do not have Drill Seargants. that is an american Marine Term. and more often then not, instructors as we call them, will not "smoke" a new recruit for makeing a mistake. they know its going to happen. they will get annoyed when that recruit has made the same mistake 3 times after being corrected and show how to perform the task properly.

What are the basic requirement (running pace, # push ups, # sit ups, etc) and qualification they‘re looking for to award the LCol Arsenault‘s Trophy (Athletic) to a recruit while in St Jean?
And can females recruits even get their paws on it?

point taken sorry i‘ve spent alot of time on the american boards.

I once ran a marathon, and BMQ PT will not be enough to train for one. it may be enough for short runs during the week, but you‘ll definatley have to do long runs on your own time. the longest run I have done with the army was only about 5 or 5 km, and a marathon is 42.2.

Thanks. I guess may have to wait to next year for this marathon.
Spacelord- was your marathon a good experience? Would you recommend?

it was fun, and you get a lot of respect when it‘s done. It was worth the months and months of training. I keep telling myself that I will do another, but I always seem too busy.

Originally posted by Pte. Scarlino:
[qb]
Originally posted by LilMissChicky:
[qb] And can females recruits even get their paws on it? [/qb]
Do you have to ask? [/qb]
Actually, yes I did have to ask. Men can perform alot more than female on push ups and chin ups. I think I‘m doing ok for a female on that point. Just wanted to know if they look more at # instead of total performance. I mean if I give everything I have at it, could I still have a chance even though I might be 15 push ups less than a male recruit?
Look on the CFLRS site... did you ever see a female receiving this award?

Ah LilMissChicky, I misinterpreted the question - I sent you a PM

And Elizabeth, the longest run i‘ve been on with the army (was during my BMQ) and it was about 8km. However since it was a co-op course the PT was run by a civilian (whom had been teaching co-op PT for over 13 yrs, so he knew how to drill us).

But, like spacelord said, no it will not be enough to train for a marathon.

There was a guy on my basic that loved long-distance and marathon running, and was constantly fed up with the amount of running we did for PT. (That was him, he didn‘t speak for the rest of us :p ) When we eventually did get time off, he would go out on his own time and run.

Just a thought.

On my own time is good idea if I manage to have any while in basic ;) Was gonna pick back up on my pace and distance once in Borden anyway but good idea nonetheless.

Spacelord,
Which one did you ran?

Elizabeth,
Are you course loaded yet for St Jean and which marathon were you planning on for Sept?

Hey, LilMissChicky... I‘m still a civ and was only curious about the possible situations I may get myself into this summer. I was planning on running the Regina city marathon in Sept but I think I‘ll postpone and run the Saskatoon City one next May. I recently broke my hand and my personal fitness has deteriorated. I‘m excited to get back ‘on the wagon‘ so to speak.

I ran Vancouver in 2002. it‘s nice because it takes place in May, so the training takes place in the winter and spring. I think it would be much harder to do a fall marathon because then most of the running would take place in the summer when it is hot. good luck with the training.

Congrats on that Vancouver run Spaceloard! I‘m not ready for full just yet. Taking my time, it works better that way in the long run (Less injuries)
Like the spring race as well, cool enough to be comfortable in early morning run.
Eh any of the two of you gave a thought at the National Capital Marathon?
www.ncm.ca
The 1/2 and full marathon courses are scenic and flat with very few elevation changes. Considered to be an excellent course for first timers and those looking for a personal best. The participants run along past a number of Ottawa's most scenic tourist sites.
Sorry :p , sort of sold on the Ottawa one. :)

I ran Ottawa two years ago. If I go to St-Jean in June instead of late May, I will run the Half-Marathon this time.

Ottawa could qualify us for the Borden running championships that are part of the Toronto Marathon week-end.

I also worry that I won‘t have enough time for running during the BMQ.

I also tought of bringing my road bike. St-Jean is only 35 km from Montréal. Not that far and I enjoy cycling as much as running. I don‘t know if bikes are allowed in BMQ.

Back