• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

March 2010 - BMQ - All Locations

Well, it's done! Started March 8, graduated June 10, flew to Esquimalt June 11. 14 weeks of well, BMQ! No way to sum it up in a few sentences. The experience, whether positive or negative, depends on the instructors you get, the mix of people in the platoon and the overall maturity level of the members. I am a 50 yr old guy who showed up in shape, open minded and willing to do whatever it took to  get through. That worked for me. I found the toughest part dealing with the "younger generation". My platoon ranged in ages from 18-54. (all of the oldest made it through). I was shocked at the lack of physical fitness of some of the recruits. Do yourself a favour, show up being able to at least do the minimum required number of pushups, sit-ups, beep test etc. Why waste money and time only to end up being sent home...or to WTF. You are going to be challenged mentally and physically, way beyond your comfort zone so why not come prepared? Think of it this way, the instructors' job is to weed people out. We started with 72 candidates and ended up with 52. I drove my own car to St Jean and when indoc was over (after 5 full weeks (0-4) ), had several weekends off where i could get away from the mega. Do your best to get off base when possible, for your own mental health. The food is plentiful, healthy and enjoyable, I was lucky enough to stay in the Blue Sector, which meant private rooms and lucky enough to be on the 6th floor (no using elevators). The cubicle type setup you see in the videos, with the partitions, is the Green Sector. Teamwork is essential, meeting timings is crucial and whining is not an option at any time, although that is all people wanted to do. Being able to eat very quickly is important....something I have trouble with. Being patient is a virtue too, it is amazing what people will do and say when under pressure, they get downright nasty!! Information about further training won't be provided, you simply must go to your next posting for that. The instructor are not your friends but at the end of the day, they remain people. Respect them and their ranks, they have earned it! I could go on and on but don't get caught up in rumours and hearsay, go there with a positive attitude and an open mind instead.

Back