• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine electrician and Hull tech Prior schooling?

Mactonite

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day Ladies and Gents. I was wondering , in order to apply for either Hull tech or Electrician do you need to have prior college education? I have a high school diploma and have taken some physics, chemistry and math. I do not have Grade 12 academic math, just general. I am a sort of handyman, If you show me, I can do it. I can use power tools and do my own home repairs with help from friends. Have not been in school for 14 years. I have been store manager and  enjoy working. I am trying to decide on the path to take!

Thanks for your help!

The minimum requirement for either occupation is grade 10. The preferred is grade 12. You do not need to have any college and usually we have a hard time filling the Electrician trade. As it stands right now we have no openings i either trade. After 01 April all trades will open and we can start processing. If you want more info check out

www.forces.ca. If you want specific info PM me in the morning.

Educational standards for MarEL and Hull Tech are: HS diploma with a strong math background and several sciences including physics.

Will accept: grade 10 advanced math it is an advantage to have a physics course completed.

Could someone fix the thread title ? For some reason, "electrition" seems like nails on a chalkboard.

Oops! My bad on the spelling, If I was able to fix it I would. Not sure if I can.

i kind of happen to be in the same situation as the poster of this thread, except that I graduated in 2008 with a dual diploma in electrical/electronic technology. My PLAR just came back last week and was told that I had been approved for semi skilled for the marine electrician trade which is a nice bonus and that I've been added to the merit list so i will be waiting till april and hoping to get in asap

The required academic standard mentioned above is correct.

For the HT, math is kept simple at the QL3 and QL5 level. On the QL5, you start getting into a bit of Stability calculations that follows basic physic principles. QL6A and B get a bit more in-depth. That being said, you will be taught what you need to know. If you are familiar with the math/physic processes, it'll be easier. If you are really bad in math, you may have a harder time to pass. But, it is not impossible. The instructor is there to help you and your mates usually help you out as well.

As for ETs, I know that their math is way more involved so you might want to make sure you are comfortable with math and physic.

im going as hull tech but i barely passed math in highschool the reason i got it was cause of my cfat test scores and the fact that i went to college for welding and ended up with high scores there as well highschool marks aren't anything because i dont think they hire people with a 51 and 50 in math and science

CooperLT said:
im going as hull tech but i barely passed math in highschool the reason i got it was cause of my Cfat test scores and the fact that i went to college for welding and ended up with high scores there as well highschool marks arnt anything cause i dont think they hire ppl with a 51 and 50 in math and science

Or English.  ::)

CooperLT said:
im a teenager i type as i would text sheesh ...

Have you read the Site Guidelines?

You will not use excessive webspeak, or other shorthand styles of typing.  Please use English or French to the best of your ability; this makes it easier for those who are not posting in their native language.

I certainly hope that's not the best of your ability.  ::)

no it isnt the best of my ability but when your typing off a blackberry it is kinda annoying when u gotta put in every punctuation mark and every letter in every word as long as it makes sense it is all good to me i dont spend my days ragging on people cause of thier spelling

CooperLT said:
no it isnt the best of my ability but when your typing off a blackberry it is kinda annoying when u gotta put in every punctuation mark and every letter in every word as long as it makes sense it is all good to me i dont spend my days ragging on people cause of thier spelling

So using a BlackBerry is an excuse for not having to put in every punctuation mark, and type every letter in every word?

I've got a news flash for you - thousands of people in the CF use BlackBerrys every day, and I can guarantee you that proper English (or French) is used at all times.  The same level of grammar and spelling is expected in e-mail sent by BlackBerry.

If you can't be bothered to have the courtesy to spend the little bit of extra time it takes to properly form your posts, why should anyone bother to take the time to properly form replies to you to answer your questions?

Now would be a really great time for you to grow up, and stop using the excuse that you're a teenager for being lazy.

CooperLT said:
no it isnt the best of my ability but when your typing off a blackberry it is kinda annoying when u gotta put in every punctuation mark and every letter in every word as long as it makes sense it is all good to me

Wow, you're going to love the CF.

ok you know what i dont need to get shit on because of my spelling so i corrected it happy it was i think 2 words in total ive read much worse on here ok

CooperLT said:
ok you know what i dont need to get crap on because of my spelling so i corrected it happy it was i think 2 words in total ive read much worse on here ok

Ok you know what I don't need to get crap on because of my spelling so I corrected it happy, it was I think 2 words in total I have read much worse on here ok. ;D

CooperLT said:
Ok, you know what? I don't need to get crapped on because of my spelling, so I corrected it. Happy? It was 2 two words in total, I think. I've read much worse on here, ok?

Outstanding.

Here's some free advice:  I'd avoid posting from your BlackBerry, if I were you.

More free advice:  Don't get too annoyed when a MCpl trashes your locker during BMQ.

i dont get annoyed when ppl crap on me cause in all honesty im use to it parents have told me my whole life im a failure so it doesnt phase me anymore ...

Back