• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Infantry veteran says enlisted shouldn’t become officers — mayhem ensues [Task and Purpose]

As my old female boss put it: "Don't fish from the company pier"
Yeah, that was always my general SOP, but I guess I had never really thought about spouse swapping, group sex parties and some other more flexible partnerings in that equation. Maybe add an asterix and some fine print?

Not really something that is in the divisional guide for some handy hints on how to deal with it.

Back on the original topic. Before I get to the Hot Take. I'm in favour of CFRs. They provide valuable experience and insight into many problems that are not thought about.

Right now most seem to be doing it for financial reasons (pad the pension for 5 years and retire) not because they want to contribute at the officer level.

In my trade there is are some obvious disadvantages in certain positions because the CFR's just don't have the academic background can set them up for failure. Which is why I'm very much in favour of not waiving all the officer course requirements for a CFR. Otherwise the CM needs to be extra careful where they post people and maximize their expertise while minimizing their exposure to tasks where they are just not suited.

And then there is the mindset. Particularly if you CFR'd at a lower rank. The difficulty in switching the midset to think up and out, not down and in. Some do it seemlessly, others it takes a while if it changes at all.

Overall though the benifits of getting someone with a load of experience, operational and administrative injected in at a rank level where they can really mentor their peers on a number of issues is far more valuable. The sanity check ability of these folks is really useful ("yah don't do that shit, we tried that in 01 and it was not good").

Back on the original topic. Before I get to the Hot Take. I'm in favour of CFRs. They provide valuable experience and insight into many problems that are not thought about.

Right now most seem to be doing it for financial reasons (pad the pension for 5 years and retire) not because they want to contribute at the officer level.

In my trade there is are some obvious disadvantages in certain positions because the CFR's just don't have the academic background can set them up for failure. Which is why I'm very much in favour of not waiving all the officer course requirements for a CFR. Otherwise the CM needs to be extra careful where they post people and maximize their expertise while minimizing their exposure to tasks where they are just not suited.

And then there is the mindset. Particularly if you CFR'd at a lower rank. The difficulty in switching the midset to think up and out, not down and in. Some do it seemlessly, others it takes a while if it changes at all.

Overall though the benifits of getting someone with a load of experience, operational and administrative injected in at a rank level where they can really mentor their peers on a number of issues is far more valuable. The sanity check ability of these folks is really useful ("yah don't do that shit, we tried that in 01 and it was not good").
Agreed. Also, sometimes the expertise, while good in some cases, doesn’t necessarily translate.

I knew an NCM who said that they would be good at being an officer because they would really know lots about their specific part of the training. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that while their part was technically/academically the hardest, the point of being that officer trade wasn’t to know all the details of their specialty, but to understand enough to know what it affects.

I worked for an Arty LCol who was like that. Kept my mouth shut until he said something about the "Other Ranks" (indication enough) being a peculiar bunch that needed maximum supervision by "their betters" (myself included).

He was oblivious that I was a CFR when he said this. When I told him I came from the ranks, he sheepishly said "oh.. well... you're one of the good ones, or you wouldn't be where you are." I wanted to punch him, frankly; but that's frowned upon in the Officer's Mess... apparently
Don't be so sure... it actually gets you some sweet nicknames.

Throw an armbar or triangle choke in for extra PER points.

Agreed. Also, sometimes the expertise, while good in some cases, doesn’t necessarily translate.

I knew an NCM who said that they would be good at being an officer because they would really know lots about their specific part of the training. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that while their part was technically/academically the hardest, the point of being that officer trade wasn’t to know all the details of their specialty, but to understand enough to know what it affects.
100 percent correct.

There's a fine line to walk as a CFR and some do it seamlessly; others fall off the edge into old habits. The main draw you have for a CFR is a leader that can see the Inverted Pyramid of Comd's Intent overlapped on the Pyramid of Technical Knowledge/Mission relatively easily compared to someone fresh out of RMC or DEO.

For Example:
In the Sigs World, a Bn Sig O needs to ensure the Bn is able to talk to the Bde (as well as its own Bn hierarchy) and in a way that enables the Bn Comd to meet the Bde Comd's intent. The Bn Sig O is not the one I would want hammering away on the confuguration of eqpt, Det placement, or personnel management; thats the job of the Section/Det Comds to advise, guide, and execute as part of their mission.

Conversely, those Section/Det Comds are given their clear tasks and duties and are experts in their craft. They are able to anticipate the need because of experience. They still look up and out, but for far shorter glances. The focus is on kit, personnel, and achieving the intent of the Bn Sig O.

Now, the Overlap. As a CFR, I know how the kit works because I worked on it myself (or something similar). I know how long it takes for IOC/FOC. I know who goes where, with what, and why to make a Bn Comms Plan work.

That said, some CFRs get sucked in looking for solitary acorns in the forest. Technicians (former one myself) are bad for this. You are no longer responsible for Widget C3D49 working correctly. You need to make sure the capability is there for the Comd, but Cpl Bloggins is the Keeper of Widget C3D49 now; get out of his pantry.

As always, there are exception. The main thing I see is, with more rank and time in, it becomes harder to shift mentalities. Its also been why I feel CFRP should have a Max at WO/PO1 or 15 years, and that anything past should be SRCP. If there are MWO/CPO2s at 28 Years that are looking for "Freedom Best 5" because they're out of the CWO/CPO1 race; they can sit in one spot and open the CFRP competition to the younger leaders who have some legs to run in a second career as officers.

Don't be so sure... it actually gets you some sweet nicknames.

Throw an armbar or triangle choke in for extra PER points.
"Adjt, why is the G6 Ops choking out the G5?"

"Because the G5 didn't guard the neck, Sir."

100 percent correct.

There's a fine line to walk as a CFR and some do it seamlessly; others fall off the edge into old habits. The main draw you have for a CFR is a leader that can see the Inverted Pyramid of Comd's Intent overlapped on the Pyramid of Technical Knowledge/Mission relatively easily compared to someone fresh out of RMC or DEO.

For Example:
In the Sigs World, a Bn Sig O needs to ensure the Bn is able to talk to the Bde (as well as its own Bn hierarchy) and in a way that enables the Bn Comd to meet the Bde Comd's intent. The Bn Sig O is not the one I would want hammering away on the confuguration of eqpt, Det placement, or personnel management; thats the job of the Section/Det Comds to advise, guide, and execute as part of their mission.

Conversely, those Section/Det Comds are given their clear tasks and duties and are experts in their craft. They are able to anticipate the need because of experience. They still look up and out, but for far shorter glances. The focus is on kit, personnel, and achieving the intent of the Bn Sig O.

Now, the Overlap. As a CFR, I know how the kit works because I worked on it myself (or something similar). I know how long it takes for IOC/FOC. I know who goes where, with what, and why to make a Bn Comms Plan work.

That said, some CFRs get sucked in looking for solitary acorns in the forest. Technicians (former one myself) are bad for this. You are no longer responsible for Widget C3D49 working correctly. You need to make sure the capability is there for the Comd, but Cpl Bloggins is the Keeper of Widget C3D49 now; get out of his pantry.

As always, there are exception. The main thing I see is, with more rank and time in, it becomes harder to shift mentalities. Its also been why I feel CFRP should have a Max at WO/PO1 or 15 years, and that anything past should be SRCP. If there are MWO/CPO2s at 28 Years that are looking for "Freedom Best 5" because they're out of the CWO/CPO1 race; they can sit in one spot and open the CFRP competition to the younger leaders who have some legs to run in a second career as officers.

"Adjt, why is the G6 Ops choking out the G5?"

"Because the G5 didn't guard the neck, Sir."
Should ask about Subbies Carolling 2012 in Petawawa.... the Battle of Cupids Nest 😎

3Cy0II.gif

No one was 'seriously' hurt in the altercations/shenanigans 🤣

Interesting, new video on the training of USMC officers. Stated 1,700 per year, from OCS, Acadamy's, Enlisted, etc. All colours and genders. Non US personnel.

Doing up my chin strap for war stories: I was taught as a young section commander, by a QOR of C Second War Pl Comd to never say "Cease Fire" as the soldiers, over the noise of violence will only here the word "Fire". Say "STOP" as everyone knows/understands that word.

SUCCEED OR DIE: Inside Marine Corps Officer Training At Quantico | Boot Camp | Business Insider

Back