• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

It looks quite the same as the AOPV's boat decks.

Methinks it has to do with the need to deploy in the Arctic.

Could potentially be used for other purposes, but I'd be surprised to see the Navy sacrifice a ship's only small boat redundancy on anything other than an exceptional basis.

Supplemental capabilities instead borne out of the modular mission bays at the back.
Not the cut out midships, further aft. I see where the RHIB on davits is located, but if you go almost to the stern, there’s a cut out on the bottom deck with what looks like a side scan sonar apparatus. I was just noting it as I’ve mostly seen that setup all the way at the stern as opposed to the side.

1685581300052.png
Are you talking about the area I circled (and the same sort of thing on the other side). Those white cylinders are survival rafts that inflate.

Any sonar would likely be towed from those sea cans on the back (TRAPS as an example).

Sorry, I posted the image separately. But I think you can see what I’m referring to in this image.

Not the cut out midships, further aft. I see where the RHIB on davits is located, but if you go almost to the stern, there’s a cut out on the bottom deck with what looks like a side scan sonar apparatus. I was just noting it as I’ve mostly seen that setup all the way at the stern as opposed to the side.
Right, sorry. You did say sweep deck.

I need to stop writing while half asleep.

The RCN won't sacrifice a second sea boat capability. It goes to the baseline safe at sea redundancy. You need one operational rescue boat to sail. If you have two boats and lost one for whatever reason you can still safely sail. If you have one and lose it you can't sail. Not safe.

I'm very interested in the designs here. Looks about what I expected but with less length and more beam. The flight deck + work deck is interesting. Small little doors for UAV's. Likely also be able to put more sea cans on the flight deck.

I don't think that deck is large enough to land a cyclone, but its certainly large enough to do a vertrep from.
With 6 AOPS, 15 CSC's , 2-3 JSS/Asterix and let's say 8-10-12 of these unnamed/unknown vessels, the 27 Cyclones that we'll have available will be stretched unrealistically thin. By these future ship numbers, an increase in the order of magnitude of 50% would be warranted. Sadly, I don't see this happening.

With 6 AOPS, 15 CSC's , 2-3 JSS/Asterix and let's say 8-10-12 of these unnamed/unknown vessels, the 27 Cyclones that we'll have available will be stretched unrealistically thin. By these future ship numbers, an increase in the order of magnitude of 50% would be warranted. Sadly, I don't see this happening.

Each ship doesn't get a Cyclone. I have done a full deployment without a Helo. It was magnificent!

Realistically they will be mostly used on the CSCs.

Each ship doesn't get a Cyclone. I have done a full deployment without a Helo. It was magnificent!

Realistically they will be mostly used on the CSCs.
I understand that but with a potential fleet of 32-36 ships and only 27 Cyclones, following the 1/3 rule things will be razor thin with virtually no redundancy built into the system.

What makes you think, going forward, that a Maritime Helicopter is the right aviation asset for all situations?
Now that is a question that I fully respect -
Thank you for making me stop thinking about today's world and think outside of the box and what tomorrow's world may very well be like.
Respect.

I understand that but with a potential fleet of 32-36 ships and only 27 Cyclones, following the 1/3 rule things will be razor thin with virtually no redundancy built into the system.
CCG leases helicopters and crews from TC. The government helicopter fleet could be expanded to have another 12 or so grey made in Canada helicopters that can do transfers, SAR, ice reconnaissance, resupply and support land parties, particularly on ships in domestic and Arctic waters. Both the RN and USN use leased helicopters on their "Non-combat ships".

CCG leases helicopters and crews from TC. The government helicopter fleet could be expanded to have another 12 or so grey made in Canada helicopters that can do transfers, SAR, ice reconnaissance, resupply and support land parties, particularly on ships in domestic and Arctic waters. Both the RN and USN use leased helicopters on their "Non-combat ships".
The USMC have parked some relatively new UH-1 Yankees in Arizona that look like a Griffon on steroids. The really relevant item is the rotors fold for hanger deployment and they are already Marinized. We should buy about a dozen and split them to out fit AOPS and the AORS.

I dont think these new critters will be getting a permanent helo.

The flight deck doors look more as if they are warehouse/UAV sized.

I think the ships will probably carry large VTOL UAVs and be able to land light helicopters. Large ones may have to hover? Winches and slung loads?

As for helo support, operating in home waters, in addition to the Cyclones there are Cormorants, Chinooks, Griffons, CCG 412s and any OGD helicopter qualified in the right sea conditions.

The Cyclones can be reserved for overseas duties, or at least blue water.

IMHO

Back