• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS Training [Merged]

MikeApplying said:
I would rather choose a NCM occupation in the navy that I think I would like and excel at and go in that way and gain naval experience. I could possibly apply after a time to be commissioned if I still wanted to be.

NCM to Officer Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/82016.0
23 pages.

Transfer from NCM to Officer 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/123732.0

NCM to Officer Options?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/113458.0

Worth achieving higher NCM rank before going officer?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87609.25
3 pages.

Get Officer equivalencies as an NCM 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/120646.0

NCM to Officer Transfers
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nUowe_vCfAAJ:https://army.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D119673.0+&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

etc...

See also,

Changing application
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+changing+application&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kH7WWJ2JGMKC8Qe0panACw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+change+application&*&spf=180

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

So I've read that MARS officers are pretty toxic and like to backstab, but how bad is it really? Is it just a case of the trade being more competitive for promotions so that it seems worse than other trades? Are there any examples of some of the treachery?

Overboard said:
So I've read that MARS officers are pretty toxic and like to backstab, but how bad is it really? Is it just a case of the trade being more competitive for promotions so that it seems worse than other trades? Are there any examples of some of the treachery?

MARS were a bunch of arseholes.
But now that they are NWO's everything is cumbiya!

Seriously, the backstabbing trait is a bit overblown. Especially by people who are not NWO's!

I'm enrolled in an upcoming MARS II course that starts soon.
From talking to friends who have taken the course before, I understand that there are three exams in the course.

I was hoping to do some preparation before the course starts. Is there some sort of textbook that the course follows?

Could someone kindly post a link to helpful text resources to read before beginning the course?

Namor said:
I'm enrolled in an upcoming MARS II course that starts soon.
From talking to friends who have taken the course before, I understand that there are three exams in the course.

I was hoping to do some preparation before the course starts. Is there some sort of textbook that the course follows?

Could someone kindly post a link to helpful text resources to read before beginning the course?

Seriously, unless you have had to try extremely hard during your life to pass tests, like needing to study heavily for even minor quizzes and still barely getting the passing grade, then you don't need to do any pre-course prep.

MARS II is essentially an introduction to the Navy. Whats port, what's starbaord, deckhead vs bulkhead, why duff is amazing but pre-duffing should be taken as a bad sign of your mental health...

Here's a general outline of the course:

Academic Phase (4 Weeks)
•Introduction to Maritime Navigation
•Collision Regulations
•Tides and Currents

Practical Phase (3 Weeks)
•Sea Survival
•Seamanship
•Damage Control

At Sea Phase
•Introducation to life aboard ship
•Consolidation of skills acquired on course

There will be tests during the academic phase, but they will spoon feed you the information and tell you exactly what you need to know; the tests aren't that hard, this is just an introductory course. The course is more difficult than when I did it 9 years ago, but I'm pretty sure the pass rate is still pretty much 100% (removing failures due to medicals or people who pulled themselves off course for personal reasons).

That being said, if there was one document you could read to get a feel of before you join the course, it would be "The International Regulation for the Avoidance of Collisions at Sea", commonly known as "the rules of the road". It's not very long, and it's the bread and butter of every NWO.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1416/

Cheers

Hello,

I just received a phone call from the recruiting office telling me that I am ready for enrollment in the NAVRES, but that my first choice trade (Intelligence Officer) is now full.
I was told that it is possible to enroll in another officer trade (NWO in this case) and after BMOQ apply to transfer to IntO instead.
Both trades appeal to me, but IntO was my first choice. That said, I have another interview scheduled now as I am going to NWO (as it is another trade), and it is with the same officer as when I first interviewed.
As both trades appeal to me, I am not sure if I will end up changing to IntO after BMOQ, but it is a possibility. Should I mention this to the interviewing officer, or will it hurt my chances to even get in as it may seem indecisive.

In another thread, it was explained that mostly, Officers in the NAVRES are staff officers, so is it the case with NWO as well? What are some daily tasks that can be expected from a NWO in the NAVRES?

Can someone tell me the timelines of NWO training after BMOQ that is accurate to date?

crlemesur said:
Can someone tell me the timelines of NWO training after BMOQ that is accurate to date?

From the latest Naval Fleet School (Pacific) Joining Instructions:

NWO II course:

is an eight-week course designed to introduce trainees to life in the Navy. It consist of four weeks of classroom instruction including an introduction to navigation, collision regulations, tides and currents, and three weeks of practical training including sea survival, seamanship, damage control and a one-week afloat phase.

NWO III course:

is a 17 week course designed to teach the core skills required as an Officer of the Watch (OOW) onboard HMC Ships. The academic portion of the course consists of eight weeks of classroom instruction, which will cover OOW core skills, radar theory, ship handling, engineering, stability, collision regulations, relative velocity, tides and astronomy, radar navigation and meteorology. Four additional weeks are spent in the Navigation and Bridge Simulator (NABS); during the first two weeks you will develop your OOW core skills such as fixing, contact avoidance, block reporting and bridge routine. The following two weeks you will spend learning how to conduct manoeuvres as an OOW and as a member of a bridge team. Four weeks will be spent at sea on an ORCA Class vessel. The first two weeks you will gain practical experience in basic OOW duties during coastal navigation. The final two weeks will be for the OOW manoeuvres assessment phase.

NWO IV course:

is a 19 week course consisting of eight weeks of classroom instruction, covering Officer of the Watch (OOW) considerations during Replenishment at Sea (RAS), Towing, Shiphandling, Operating with Tugs, Damage Control (DC) Emergencies, Helicopter and Fixed Wing Operations and Employment, Force Protection, Mine Warfare (MW), Above Water Warfare (AAW), Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW), Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), Command and Control in Deployed Operations, Maritime Interdiction Operations (MIO), Use of Force in a Naval Environment, The Combat Information Organization (CIO), and Command and Control systems.

Students are also introduced to pilotage navigation, a more detailed examination of collision regulations, and exposure to CAF administration including the divisional system, CFPAS, and administrative and disciplinary procedures. Three weeks are spent in the Navigation and Bridge Simulator (NABS) conducting pilotage navigation, and reviewing coastal watch procedures. Five weeks are spent at sea, two conducting developmental pilotage navigation and three conducting the Charge phase, replicating a Task Group Exercise (TGEX) with four PCTs. Finally, the students sit in front of a NWO IV oral board, comprised of a Lieutenant-Commander and a senior Lieutenant, where they are examined on all the material taught throughout their NWO program.

Jackal2018 said:
Hello,

I just received a phone call from the recruiting office telling me that I am ready for enrollment in the NAVRES, but that my first choice trade (Intelligence Officer) is now full.
I was told that it is possible to enroll in another officer trade (NWO in this case) and after BMOQ apply to transfer to IntO instead.
Both trades appeal to me, but IntO was my first choice. That said, I have another interview scheduled now as I am going to NWO (as it is another trade), and it is with the same officer as when I first interviewed.
As both trades appeal to me, I am not sure if I will end up changing to IntO after BMOQ, but it is a possibility. Should I mention this to the interviewing officer, or will it hurt my chances to even get in as it may seem indecisive.

In another thread, it was explained that mostly, Officers in the NAVRES are staff officers, so is it the case with NWO as well? What are some daily tasks that can be expected from a NWO in the NAVRES?

Okay, first off, never believe the recruiter when they tell you that you can easily transfer to another area of warfare after BMOQ. I have heard that story again and again. Sometimes it happens but more often than not, there will be extenuating circumstances that will limit your options to OT.

Second, you are going to the reserves right? Join as a NWO and get some sea going experience, get used to briefing command and then transfer to the intelligence world. I have watched far too many IntO's becoming puddles of goo after a Commanding Officer has ripped them a new orifice due to their lack of ability to parse intel into something usable to command. Being an experienced NWO will greatly assist you in Intelligence.

Third. You want to join right? Both professions appeal to you right? Sounds like NWO is your only path so my advice is to not say anything about Int to the recruiter. (are you at a CFRC and talking to the recruiters there or are you at your local NAVRES and talking to an actual reserve recruiter?)

Back