• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Masks

Animatronic Fireman

Reaction score
We had a few issued to key positions in our unit but not enough for everyone and the ones issued some people have complained they are very uncomfortable.

We are authorized by CoC to purchase our own masks but have colour restrictions to CADPAT, Black, OD Green or Tan/FDE.

Who makes good quality fabric masks that I can recommend to my soldiers if they wish to purchase their own? I am hesitant to recommend CP Gear as though it could come in CADPAT will otherwise likely be trash.

Thanks for recommendations.

Animatronic Fireman said:
We had a few issued to key positions in our unit but not enough for everyone and the ones issued some people have complained they are very uncomfortable.

We are authorized by CoC to purchase our own masks but have colour restrictions to CADPAT, Black, OD Green or Tan/FDE.

Who makes good quality fabric masks that I can recommend to my soldiers if they wish to purchase their own? I am hesitant to recommend CP Gear as though it could come in CADPAT will otherwise likely be trash.

Canex. Good quality,  packs of 3.
They cost 20 bucks,  but that's not bad when you accept the fact you'll be wearing them as often as you wear shoes for the foreseeable future.

So you're calling troops in, getting them to work in situations where their self-aid requires that they have proper PPE in place....but:

Not supplying the required PPE to said troops? Check.
Restricting access to live saving PPE based on the criteria of it's colour during non-operations? Check.

Is it just me, or does that seem REALLY messed up?

I'm not sure if you're part of a Reg force unit or PRes or even if it matters but a couple things.  The masks are not meant for comfort, they're designed to hopefully prevent or at least slow the spread of the Coronavirus.  Maybe I'm over reacting but I've had something to say to a couple people so far that I've  heard complaining about needing to wear one.  I'm sure most have seen pictures of doctors and nurses wearing them and having scars on their face, we're wearing nice cloth masks that while not the most comfortable thing in the world, are not really that bad.  Their was also a CDS directive stating that everyone is to wear a mask, I wish I could find it. 
Every single mbr in your unit should be issued at least a couple masks that they can wash unless you want to have a huge supply of disposable masks.  I'm very curious what you mean by "select key positions"?  Does that mean the CO and RSM?  Are those key people more important than the Pte or Cpl so they don't get to have one issued.  I'm actually surprised to hear some units don't have this mask situation sorted out yet.
Finally, why would you recommend mbr's purchase there own?  The unit should purchase a sufficient quantity and give them out. 
Sorry if I'm coming across like a prick but I take this mask issue very serious.  I practically bite my tongue until it bleeds in stores when I see people not wearing them or wearing them with there noses sticking out.  I wish some people would take it more serious.

As a relic of the old army, I'm waiting for the drill for donning and doffing masks to appear. Maybe it's time to replace "Greatcoats on. Greatcoats off" with "Masks on. Masks off".

stellarpanther said:
I practically bite my tongue until it bleeds in stores when I see people not wearing them or wearing them with there noses sticking out.  I wish some people would take it more serious.

I do take it seriously and will wear a mask when required for instance in Wal Mart which has mandated them.

Until its mandated BY LAW that we must wear one I will decline to wear one. If you want to judge me so be it.

Old Sweat said:
As a relic of the old army, I'm waiting for the drill for donning and doffing masks to appear. Maybe it's time to replace "Greatcoats on. Greatcoats off" with "Masks on. Masks off".

Great.  Another week added to basic training.  Donning masks.  Donning masks at the incline.  Doffing masks at quick march.  Donning masks at double time with sword.  Doffing masks at the slow march while carrying a carbine.  The history of mask wearing in the CAF.  Supply system and the mask.  Care and cleaning of your mask.  Having a mask in your display and others to wear.  Never iron or starch your mask, (except for the one in your display). 

dapaterson said:
Great.  Another week added to basic training.  Donning masks.  Donning masks at the incline.  Doffing masks at quick march.  Donning masks at double time with sword.  Doffing masks at the slow march while carrying a carbine.  The history of mask wearing in the CAF.  Supply system and the mask.  Care and cleaning of your mask.  Having a mask in your display and others to wear.  Never iron or starch your mask, (except for the one in your display).

I thought I was being facetious, but then recalled the Canadian Army's reaction to a story in, I think, a Winnipeg paper about soldiers in uniform going to work on public transport carrying their lunches in brown paper bags. After much running around in mental circles, the army issued an instruction on how to carry one's lunch to work. As I recall it, lunch boxes were verboten, as were paper bags or anything else civilian. Instead, one was to place lunch (thermos optional) in a 51 pattern small pack with one shoulder strap attached. The pack was to be secured so no sign of said lunch was visible. Finally, the pack was to be carried on the left side, with the strap over the left shoulder, thus freeing the right arm for paying compliments.

This demonstration of military power no doubt caused the Soviets to drastically increase the number of divisions tasked to attack 4 Brigade in the event of war.

Old Sweat said:
I thought I was being facetious, but then recalled the Canadian Army's reaction to a story in, I think, a Winnipeg paper about soldiers in uniform going to work on public transport carrying their lunches in brown paper bags. After much running around in mental circles, the army issued an instruction on how to carry one's lunch to work. As I recall it, lunch boxes were verboten, as were paper bags or anything else civilian. Instead, one was to place lunch (thermos optional) in a 51 pattern small pack with one shoulder strap attached. The pack was to be secured so no sign of said lunch was visible. Finally, the pack was to be carried on the left side, with the strap over the left shoulder, thus freeing the right arm for paying compliments.

This demonstration of military power no doubt caused the Soviets to drastically increase the number of divisions tasked to attack 4 Brigade in the event of war.

Clearly the staff received their training at the Wolseley Barracks...

Hamish Seggie said:
I do take it seriously and will wear a mask when required for instance in Wal Mart which has mandated them.

Until its mandated BY LAW that we must wear one I will decline to wear one. If you want to judge me so be it.

Depending on where you live, it already is required BY LAW in specific situations (public spaces most commonly).

If you aren't wearing a mask in a mandated situation I promise I won't judge you; as long as you don't judge me when I take your picture (in a public space) and report you to the authorities.

I 100% agree that masks should be supplied to all members and include multiple so they can be washed. That is likely what will happen eventually.

My understanding is that we will have procedure masks available and so the option to purchase a colour appropriate cloth mask on their own is just that, an option.

And I agree they aren't meant for comfort but if there is a good mask that has filtration, and is comfortable then it will likely work better as the individual is less likely to move it / adjust it / contaminate it.  The fact is the one I was issued is literally just a piece of cloth, the one I purchased for civilIan life at least has two different fabrics.

Hamish Seggie said:

I do judge you because it's unfortunate that people like you will not listen to the experts and instead possibly be putting other peoples lives at risk.  They shouldn't have to pass a law to get people to do the right thing.  While it's possible the experts are wrong about masks, me wearing one will not risk someone's health however if the experts are right those not wearing one will affect peoples health.

Old Sweat said:

There was a course on it; a mandatory DLN course that explained what COVID-19 is and how it's spread and how to hopefully avoid catching and spreading it.  There is also a portion that covers how to put on the mask and remove it.

And I agree they aren't meant for comfort but if there is a good mask that has filtration, and is comfortable then it will likely work better as the individual is less likely to move it / adjust it / contaminate it.  The fact is the one I was issued is literally just a piece of cloth, the one I purchased for civilIan life at least has two different fabrics.

I think the Canadian media could do a better job at explain the use of masks, how to wear them such as covering you mouth AND nose etc but in the last week or so, they are now saying the masks that have the filtration valve should not be used because they won't filter out the virus.

There are masks with check valves that only filter one way and others masks that filter both ways. He different fabrics help with water droplets - some masks do 99% other 98% other 95% and other's less.  It might not filter a virus particle but it be a barrier to the water droplet that was carrying the virus.  By the way thank you to those that suggested some options.

Back