• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Masks

As someone who wears masks semi-religiously, I am getting ticked at buying masks that are more than uncomfortable. So far, I have spent good money on masks that either try to pull my ears off or push my nose into my brain. Yes, they are adult sized. No, I do not have a gargantuan head or nose.

Until then, I will have to settle for Chinese made disposables. :(

Animatronic Fireman said:
There are masks with check valves that only filter one way and others masks that filter both ways. He different fabrics help with water droplets - some masks do 99% other 98% other 95% and other's less.  It might not filter a virus particle but it be a barrier to the water droplet that was carrying the virus.  By the way thank you to those that suggested some options.

Here is the a link to a recent article.  You or whoever is in charge of ordering them for your unit should consider discussing this with the CAF medical experts or maybe even one of the base supply sections for advice.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/masks-with-exhalation-valves-don-t-protect-others-from-covid-19-health-officials-say-1.5063976

stellarpanther said:
I do judge you because it's unfortunate that people like you will not listen to the experts and instead possibly be putting other peoples lives at risk.  They shouldn't have to pass a law to get people to do the right thing.  While it's possible the experts are wrong about masks, me wearing one will not risk someone's health however if the experts are right those not wearing one will affect peoples health.

Actually I am more at risk as I have a compromised immune system. Perhaps you need to check your over inflated sense of what's right and wrong at the door.

As for the one who wants to take my picture and report me - trust me if it is law I will obey it. So stuff it.

Hamish Seggie said:
Actually I am more at risk as I have a compromised immune system. Perhaps you need to check your over inflated sense of what's right and wrong at the door.

As for the one who wants to take my picture and report me - trust me if it is law I will obey it. So stuff it.

I also have a condition that could put me at  greater risk that I don't want to discuss but I think everyone has a right to be ticked off at people who refuse to wear masks or will only do so if they have to.  We all have a right to want to protect our health and that of our family and those who won't wear one are putting that health at risk so say the health experts.

You can't impose your health considerations on someone else. That is the hand you have been dealt; you can either minimize your risk by not going out, or accept that the rest of the world has rights as well.

Weinie said:
You can't impose your health considerations on someone else. That is the hand you have been dealt; you can either minimize your risk by not going out, or accept that the rest of the world has rights as well.

Whether someone has an underlying health condition or not, nobody has a right to jeopardize another persons health because they are too ignorant to wear a mask.  When it comes to the mask issue, I am following the guidance of health experts and not forming my own uneducated medical opinion as to whether they are important or not to wear.  Health experts believe they are so that's what I believe.  I believe it's completely disrespectful and selfish for someone not to wear one in public.  I can understand the rights I have regarding a person to wanting to breath healthy air but I can't find anything about someone not wearing a mask because they don't want to.  I'm not talking about someone who can't for a health reason but those minimal.

Weinie said:

I'll wear a mask in stores since I need to in order to get service but not out and about in public.

I'm surprised that the military has thrown more of their own method in to this. Although I know of one base wear you are basically always wearing them outside like they are a second headdress. I'm waiting for MASKFORGEN when they come up with rules for which colour mask you wear in which order of dress. Cadpat for combats, masks that match the headdress for deu/cerimonial, and scarlet (or regimental equivalent) for mess dress.

Kilted said:
I'm surprised that the military has thrown more of their own method in to this. Although I know of one base wear you are basically always wearing them outside like they are a second headdress. I'm waiting for MASKFORGEN when they come up with rules for which colour mask you wear in which order of dress. Cadpat for combats, masks that match the headdress for deu/cerimonial, and scarlet (or regimental equivalent) for mess dress.

RCN (officer) mess dress masks will have gold trim in line with rank, and the executive curl.

Army mess dress masks will be scarlet with branch / regimental facings, which you will have to buy at a modest 1,000% markup from the kitshop.

RCAF mess dress masks will have callsigns embroidered on them.

Kilted said:

They've actually started discussing that already.  With DEU's it will be a black mask, I've also seen some people get issued the CADPAT masks and I've seen a grey type mask already.  What I've heard is they want toned down darker colours, no patterns, cartoons or sports team masks.  I heard from a couple people that they are wearing the masks constantly while working and can take it off when they go for a break outside or on lunch when not near other people.  This is from people at a couple different bases.  A lot of people are still not back to work and are working from home so they only need a mask when they come in for meets and to pickup new work.  Some expect the working from home to continue happening for a while.

We have CADPAT issued masks and green or grey issued SA neck gaiters.  I wear the neck gaiter as it is far easier to don/doff depending on what room/stairwell I am in at work.

Out in public buildings like the grocery store, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, I wear my civvie style neck gaiter/scarf.  I wear it to set an example for everyone else - I understand that the mask doesn’t protect me, I’m doing it for altruistic reasons to protect everyone “in case” I have COVID.  I will routinely go through an entire store and not see anyone else wearing a mask - this is why we haven’t beaten this disease - simple shit people, wear a damn mask - you don’t need to wait until it is legislated.

dapaterson said:
RCAF mess dress masks will have callsigns embroidered on them.

Ok, so how about the other 98% of the RCAF who aren't fighter pilots or air weapons controllers?  :nod:

Dimsum said:
Ok, so how about the other 98% of the RCAF who aren't fighter pilots or air weapons controllers?  :nod:

According to the fighter pilots and AWCs...  say what?

Back