• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Release, Voc Rehab

SigOp_Geek

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's me:  age 40, 5 years in reg force, no prior service (mid-life crisis...joined at age 35).
Here's my situation:  recently diagnosed with 'severe paraseptal emphysema',  Appealing the standard denial from DVA for disability.

I have just received a message indicating that "MELs were assigned to" me and that "an AR/MEL file has been opened".  Another point in the message states "members who wish a decision be made quickly may submit a memo...clearly indicating they do not wish to be offered a period of retention".

I have a few questions regarding all this and hope some kind people here may shed some light on the situation for me.

1.  How much notice of my release date will I get?  Would there be more or less notice if I submit the memo to not be offered the retention (3 year max)?

2.  How long does it take to apply for LTD and Voc Rehab funding?

3.  Can I get the ball rolling by contacting Sisip regarding Voc Rehab even though I have not actually gotten a Release Message yet?

4.  When will I be told about the Case Manager I am supposed to have that would be able to answer all these questions?

5.  What are the answers to the other 300 questions I can' t think of at this moment?

I don't want to sound like a sour-puss but, I was medically (3b) released 26 June 2008 with 31 years service. I was involved in a MVA (Motor vehicle Accident) while on duty. SISIP has NOT paid a penny in over 8 months?

Oil Can said:
I don't want to sound like a sour-puss but, I was medically (3b) released 26 June 2009 with 31 years service. I was involved in a MVA (Motor vehicle Accident) while on duty. SISIP has NOT paid a penny in over 8 months?

What do they say to you when You contact them?

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
What do they say to you when You contact them?

dileas

tess

I have talked with the SISIP area counselor many times. I simply get your claim is progressing and all the paper work is in order; you have to allow for Our process. It seems that SISIPs process becomes complicated if your release changes from 4A voluntary to medical 3B. I have even contacted the "Center" for help and they have informed me it's coming. The fact of the matter is; no-one has said anything to me whatsoever.

Oil Can said:
I have talked with the SISIP area counselor many times. I simply get your claim is progressing and all the paper work is in order; you have to allow for Our process. It seems that SISIPs process becomes complicated if your release changes from 4A voluntary to medical 3B. I have even contacted the "Center" for help and they have informed me it's coming. The fact of the matter is; no-one has said anything to me whatsoever.

Then this is what I would advise.

Get a Pen, paper, and Calendar.  Call your SISIP councilor.

Write down her name and time of call.

Ask her what is the expected turnaround time, for a file to be processed.  Do not take, I do not know as an answer.  If you get this, demand that you speak to her supervisor.  Insist that you will remain on the phone until someone in an authoritative position speaks to you, who can give you an answer.

When you get on line with this person, write the name down.

Demand to know what is the status of your file, and what is the average turnaround time for processing a file and Payment being sent.  This person should be able to give this to you.  If she says 2-3 months, as an example, look at the date you are calling, and flip forward two months.  Tell this person that you will call her on the exact date two months will be, give two times that she can pick from.

Ask this person for their direct line or extension.

If you get any humming or hawing, tell them you will give them until the next day, and you will call at a specific time so they can get their facts in order.

Trust me, after years of Battling DND, VAC, and SISIP, these techniques have been the best in getting information.  It puts the onus on them to do their job, as opposed to brushing you off so they can blame the system for any tardiness.

This is your money, and you deserve it.  Do not take any wishy washy answers from anyone, demand dates and timings for everything, as it is their obligation to do this.

In fact, do this right now, after you finished reading this post, then come back and let us know the results.

dileas

tess

Sage advice 48th Regulator.
I have over 31 years Reg forced service and was involved in a MVA (motor vehicle accident) while on duty near 17 Wing. To make a long story short, the situation called for saving a little girls life at my own detriment and I chose to take the hit (literally) rather than take her life. The unfortunate part of this is, I have serious neck muscle and nerve damage and can't do my military job anymore - hence the 3b release. Anyway sorry for the details...

Here is what I have done with SISIP:
- called the area counsellor, and kept a detail list of all calls times, dates, etc.
- contacted and actioned a written request with the CF Ombudsman.
- contacted and forwarded a written complaint to the CF-Center.
- talked to the area counsellor supervisor many times.
- faxed a complete up-to-date history of my medical file upon release.
- prayed...

I am not new to the Military red-tape game I am 4th generation military and familiar with the BS the system can cause. However this situation with SISIP has taken me to a new low in customer care. I only hope that other ex-members have gotten better care than I have!

Oil Can said:
Sage advice 48th Regulator.

Cheers brother!

Oil Can said:
I have over 31 years Reg forced service and was involved in a MVA (motor vehicle accident) while on duty near 17 Wing. To make a long story short, the situation called for saving a little girls life at my own detriment and I chose to take the hit (literally) rather than take her life. The unfortunate part of this is, I have serious neck muscle and nerve damage and can't do my military job anymore - hence the 3b release. Anyway sorry for the details...

An admiral story, this exemplifies what we as Canadians are made of! I have only 18 years in the reserves, and was injured in an ambush on New years eve 1994, shot seven times by about 30 drunken beligerents.  So I undrstand where you are coming from.

Oil Can said:
- called the area counselor, and kept a detail list of all calls times, dates, etc.
So you were released 8 months ago, and you have not been given a straight up answer?  No dates or timings?  Have they even given you a reason for the delay.

Oil Can said:
- contacted and auctioned a written request with the CF Ombudsman.

Good on ya.  You may want to contact your local MP.  Remember, SISIP has nothing to do with the military, other than provide insurance.  It is a private company.

Oil Can said:
- contacted and forwarded a written complaint to the CF-Center.
Who did you address this to, and for what reason?  Is it the delay in the decision by SISIP?  Is there any information lacking that SISIP requires from you or the military?

Oil Can said:
- talked to the area counselor supervisor many times.

You keep referring to area councilor, this is a SISIP Employee?  If that is the case, they are not councilors but insurance reps.

Oil Can said:
- faxed a complete up-to-date history of my medical file upon release.
This should not have been done by you, but the system is the way it is.  Were you not counseled upon your release?  You are entitled to someone to shadow you through this process, via DCSM.  Did you not get this?  You are to be briefed on a multitude of things, which sounds like you have not.

Oil Can said:
- prayed...

Have you contacted the Padre of your Unit, the base padre?  Take it from me, and this is an inside hint that you can say a birdie told you, but the Padres’ really have a lot of pull these days.  They can shake the trees from your former unit to bang on the doors of SISIP.

Oil Can said:
I am not new to the Military red-tape game I am 4th generation military and familiar with the BS the system can cause. However this situation with SISIP has taken me to a new low in customer care. I only hope that other ex-members have gotten better care than I have!

1st, Fourth or 18th Generation when Murphy wants to come along for the ride he will.

Seems there is a lot more to this than meets the eye.  You were medically released 3b.  VAC would look at this as a no Brainer and award you your pension.  However, SISIP is making you wait 8 plus months for a payment, without giving you a target date??

Dunno, am I missing something here?

dileas

tess

I think the rest of the story should stay off of the open forum. Shall we use the private mail system on this site? It may be a little safer.

Oil Can said:
I think the rest of the story should stay off of the open forum. Shall we use the private mail system on this site? It may be a little safer.

Sounds good, however remember we are here to educate the general membership.

Otherwise we are defeating the purpose of the forums.

But by all means please PM me.

dileas

tess

1.  How much notice of my release date will I get?  Would there be more or less notice if I submit the memo to not be offered the retention (3 year max)?

I waived disclosure and I had an 3B Release message in about 4 Days. They will give you a 6 month release date but you are able to release at anytime before that.

How long does it take to apply for LTD and Voc Rehab funding
I applied and it took about 30 days to get approval from Halifax after they received the medical portion of the paperwork and was assigned a Manulife Rep. I talked to him on the phone about 2 weeks before I saw him and he approved my educational plan over the phone.

Can I get the ball rolling by contacting Sisip regarding Voc Rehab even though I have not actually gotten a Release Message yet?

Yes, do this right away. Call SISP and they will get you in contact with the Manualife Rep. You can also get the paperwork on the SISP Website. You can sent in all the sections right away except the medical portion. You will have to get the MO to fill this out. This was one of the portions that took the most time to get done. It took me about 45 days to get an SISP medical appointment with my MO. Remember You can start your Voc Rehab 6 months prior to release from the CF so get your plan together.

When will I be told about the Case Manager I am supposed to have that would be able to answer all these questions?

You should have one as soon as you are told that you will be going on permanent cat. I didn't know anything about this and never got one until I had by 3B release message. Contact you local Case Manger office and set up an appointment. This not done automatically and is up to you!They are the best and can answer all your questions very quickly. He had all the templates for memos to sent to my CofC, with all relevant references.

As well, if you have not already done the SCAN seminar I highly suggest this as it covers all the entitlements and services available.

Call the Case Manager Office Today!!!!!!!

Thanks all...hopefully I don't get the same drama Oil Can is being forced through.

Here's an update to my situation which leads to 1 more question:

1)  have accepted a three year retention taking me to December 2011 for a total of 8 years and 7 months in
2)  will be attending SCAN later this month
3)  have received my disclosure package
4)  my Review Board (first step of appeal to DVA) did not even go forward as the Dr. here on base refused to put in writing what he stated to me 3 times in the past year ("I have no doubt that 10 months in Afghanistan at least aggravated your lung condition." - the lawyer figured there was no point on going ahead with the Review Board since the Dr. refused to supply his statement in writing)
5)  Case Management informed me that I don't need them until closer to my release date (I am to call them when I have a year left or so)

Now...the all important question:  can anyone shed any light on the *likelyhood* of a second retention (keep in mind my trade is disgustingly short staffed and I am a computer geek to boot)?

To continue this conversation...

This should not have been done by you, but the system is the way it is.  Were you not counseled upon your release?  You are entitled to someone to shadow you through this process, via DCSM.  Did you not get this?  You are to be briefed on a multitude of things, which sounds like you have not.

-to answer a few more of your questions; 2 SCAN seminars and multiple briefings haven't dealt with much in the SISIP world. I found that reading through their website at http://www.sisip.com/en/Insurance_e/ltd_e.asp helped. Let me say that some of the SCAN information on SISIP was not accurate at all. SISIP employs ex-military members and to my disappointment it seems their priority is the company before the client. My case is not a difficult one, Military, VAC approved my benefits right away. The delay seems to be a systemic company problem. 

You keep referring to area councilor, this is a SISIP Employee?  If that is the case, they are not councilors but insurance reps.
-Case manager I believe was the terminology used, however she called herself Area Counselor for the area I live in.

someone to shadow you through this process, via DCSM.  Did you not get this?  You are to be briefed on a multitude of things, which sounds like you have not.

-DCSM was approached and honestly they were helpful. The case was pushed to a new area in Casualty and Support benefits called the "CF Center". They are now only standing up, but over the next year it seems numerous positions are being created. If anyone has problems with access to benefits DCBA has allot of information and phone numbers for the Center.

Seems there is a lot more to this than meets the eye.  You were medically released 3b.  VAC would look at this as a no Brainer and award you your pension.  However, SISIP is making you wait 8 plus months for a payment, without giving you a target date??

- VAC has been good, and one award has been received and another is pending. Their VIP program is excellent. If you want more info here is the site>> http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=services/vip . VAC have been very helpful and if you have concerns after any cat-3 release call them. You will have to apply in person or by mail for the VIP program! You will be assigned a counselor that will help walk you through THEIR process of attaining additional benefits.

Have you contacted the Padre of your Unit, the base padre?  Take it from me, and this is an inside hint that you can say a birdie told you, but the Padres’ really have a lot of pull these days.  They can shake the trees from your former unit to bang on the doors of SISIP.

- the base padre informed me that their services are only for serving members, not retired.

A few other areas that DID NOT go as per SCAN seminars are; a) be prepared to wait over 4 even 5 months for your pension. In some cases my friend (a retired B.Gen)  has waited 6 months now and in my case severance took more than 6 weeks. b) income splitting now applies only after your final release date so DON'T cash in any RRSPs until you are officially retired if you don't wait your tax bill will be substantially higher, c) If you where medically released remember to apply for VIP VAC program, it is not automatic and you only have a few months after release to apply, if you forget it may be difficult to get on.
d) SISIP takes months and as you may have already noted be prepared to turn up the pester factor by calling on a weekly basis. I am running +8 months and counting. I will let you know what happens when I hear something.

If you have constructive help I am all ears (or eyes). Remember the Military pot has many handles, and anyone can miss the right handle first time. Keep trying and share your experiences it may benefit someone else.

SigOp_Geek said:
Thanks all...hopefully I don't get the same drama Oil Can is being forced through.

Here's an update to my situation which leads to 1 more question:

1)  have accepted a three year retention taking me to December 2011 for a total of 8 years and 7 months in
2)  will be attending SCAN later this month
3)  have received my disclosure package
4)  my Review Board (first step of appeal to DVA) did not even go forward as the Dr. here on base refused to put in writing what he stated to me 3 times in the past year ("I have no doubt that 10 months in Afghanistan at least aggravated your lung condition." - the lawyer figured there was no point on going ahead with the Review Board since the Dr. refused to supply his statement in writing)
5)  Case Management informed me that I don't need them until closer to my release date (I am to call them when I have a year left or so)

Now...the all important question:  can anyone shed any light on the *likelyhood* of a second retention (keep in mind my trade is disgustingly short staffed and I am a computer geek to boot)?

Just attended the CM brief for all C & E types this Monday.  According to that, there is a 1 time 3 year max Retention (at this time...).

Mr Eye in the Sky:

Advice is cheap but here are a few pointers I would like to add after reviewing your initial post.

Get a copy of your complete Medical file prior to release, if you don't have the time to go to the MIR or base hospital use the Access to information (personal) act and get them to send a copy. Be prepared to wait though, AIA may take more than a few months depending on the length of your file and who you know that can push buttons. Mine took 3 weeks but that is very rare, and yes I pushed a few buttons.

The representatives at SCAN are helpful, however remember that their responses are "canned" and often Black and white. Get their business cards and ask questions in person or over the phone. Be prepared to hear what they aren't saying (no I'm not being evasive). Sometimes statements like "your application may take a little longer" may mean 6 months or far more.
Get yourself on a temp/permanent Med category. This may have already been done? Ask the doctor for a copy of his/her recommendation report! Next go see a DVA rep and initiate a claim through them. You may reconsider waiting an additional # of years on hold in the military. The DVA VIP program (link above) has a salary compensation/education/retraining package you may qualify for. Check with them, it is a second "catch net" for those whom fall through the system cracks. I have had to wait over 3 years for some applications but sometimes the wait can be worth it.
Finally don't take NO for an answer. As it was already point out here, it's your money. Don't be afraid to call DCBA (Directorate for Casualty and Benefit Administration) they usually call back quickly, or The CF Center for Casualty and benefit support. I have seen them turn NO into yes. Even CF Ombudsman decisions have been circumvented or reversed. If you want phone numbers PM me I don't mind helping out.

I am not sure what you meant.  I am simply pointing out the info provided by the CMs for LCIS, Sig Op, Linemen and ATIS Techs, 4 days ago, at the CM brief WRT the max length WRT Retention.

Oil Can said:
To continue this conversation...

-to answer a few more of your questions; 2 SCAN seminars and multiple briefings haven't dealt with much in the SISIP world. I found that reading through their website at http://www.sisip.com/en/Insurance_e/ltd_e.asp helped. Let me say that some of the SCAN information on SISIP was not accurate at all. SISIP employs ex-military members and to my disappointment it seems their priority is the company before the client. My case is not a difficult one, Military, VAC approved my benefits right away. The delay seems to be a systemic company problem. 

You are preaching to the choir brother, I totally hear ya and agree.  In fact, I believe I heard a wise man once say…

the 48th regulator said:
Remember, SISIP has nothing to do with the military, other than provide insurance.  It is a private company.

Oil Can said:
-Case manager I believe was the terminology used, however she called herself Area Counselor for the area I live in.

Oil Can said:
- called the area counselor, and kept a detail list of all calls times, dates, etc.

It is semantics.  However, when we start associating a private company, with terms used by a government body, it begins to cloud the minds of the client: the soldier.  It legitimizes their actions, when in fact they are a private company.
And a company that has found a goose that keeps laying the golden egg.....

A pet peeve of mine, sorry about that.

Oil Can said:
-DCSM was approached and honestly they were helpful. The case was pushed to a new area in Casualty and Support benefits called the "CF Center". They are now only standing up, but over the next year it seems numerous positions are being created. If anyone has problems with access to benefits DCBA has allot of information and phone numbers for the Center.

No offence, but, where did you get that information?  The Centre has been around since 1999, and has always been part of DCSM.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cen/atc-slc/index-eng.asp

About The Centre

The Centre is a unique interdepartmental initiative that began in April 1999. It was designed to bring the efforts of both the Department of National Defence (DND) and Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) together in a cooperative venture to provide information and services to ill and injured members, veterans and their families. The Canadian Forces (CF), DND and VAC have a continuing concern for the manner in which they care for these military members and families who have served our country.

The Centre's main Headquarters is located in Ottawa, but Regional Detachments, Peer Support Coordinators and Volunteers are employed throughout Canada. In total The Centre, is over 120 people strong, with less than half of that number based in Ottawa. Spreading out our resources ensures that we are able to provide more direct support to Clients.

The Centre's Director is a member of the Canadian Forces who reports to the Director General Personnel And Family Support Services and has a collaborative relationship with the VAC Director of CF Services in Charlottetown, P.E.I, as well as the VAC Manager located at The Centre in Ottawa.

To speak with a representative please call 1-800-883-6094 / Mon - Fri 08h00 to 17h00 EST. All calls are Confidential. Voicemail will be responded to during the same day and/or by the next business day.

Oil Can said:
- VAC has been good, and one award has been received and another is pending. Their VIP program is excellent. If you want more info here is the site>> http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=services/vip . VAC have been very helpful and if you have concerns after any cat-3 release call them. You will have to apply in person or by mail for the VIP program! You will be assigned a counselor that will help walk you through THEIR process of attaining additional benefits.

A few corrections. 

When you have any sort of a question with regards to benefits you are entitled to you call the following numbers
General Inquiries
All questions or comments on your VAC services and benefits may be directed to the following toll-free number:

1-866-522-2122 (English)
1-866-522-2022 (French)

You will speak to a National Contact Centre Network (NCCN) who are trained to answer most basic question, or proceed to direct you to your local VAC office.  If you are directed to such an of an Area Counselor is assigned to you.  The new approach at VAC is Case Management, where the idea is they are to follow through from beginning to disengagement.

The VIP program, can be initiated by phone.  All paperwork, of course, must be signed which will come in the mail.  The only time you would do anything in person, is if an appointment is initiated by VAC.  However, with modern technology, there is no need.  Further to that, do not show up unannounced, that will get you absolutely no where, other than red flagged in the system.  Trust me, a little birdie told me….

Oil Can said:
- the base padre informed me that their services are only for serving members, not retired.

Really eh, what base was this?  It goes contrary to what  was said in the meeting I attended, oh lemme see... last Friday Morning in Borden.

Oil Can said:
A few other areas that DID NOT go as per SCAN seminars are; a) be prepared to wait over 4 even 5 months for your pension. In some cases my friend (a retired B.Gen)  has waited 6 months now and in my case severance took more than 6 weeks. b) income splitting now applies only after your final release date so DON'T cash in any RRSPs until you are officially retired if you don't wait your tax bill will be substantially higher, c) If you where medically released remember to apply for VIP VAC program, it is not automatic and you only have a few months after release to apply, if you forget it may be difficult to get on.
d) SISIP takes months and as you may have already noted be prepared to turn up the pester factor by calling on a weekly basis. I am running +8 months and counting. I will let you know what happens when I hear something.

I was with you up until this part, in red. 
c) If you where medically released remember to apply for VIP VAC program, it is not automatic and you only have a few months after release to apply, if you forget it may be difficult to get on.

May I ask, where you can present a link to this information.  If it is someone within Veterans Affairs, feel free to PM me a name, as we do not want have someones good name out in the forums.  You do not have a set time limit, and the difficulty has nothing to do with timing of application, due to forgetfulness.

Oil Can said:
If you have constructive help I am all ears (or eyes). Remember the Military pot has many handles, and anyone can miss the right handle first time. Keep trying and share your experiences it may benefit someone else.

Here the bit of advice I will give.  I will give you a big BZ with your enthusiasm to help.  You can tell there is a passion.  However, I will say this.  Unless you have the facts, please stop passing on Anecdotal evidence, Myths, Urban legends, and stories you hear from some guy who sat next to a fella in the corner of the local legion.

The facts are in black and white, available, when you release.  If you, for whatever reason do not get the right info, the internet is a magical thing.  DND, and VAC have gone through the ringer, and rightfully so for their deplorable treatment of the injured.  Bu I will say this, they have been making the effort.

When you pass on false, or assumed information, you end up hurting the injured troop, their family, and a system that is trying to make right from wrong.

Hope that helps.  Now to trudge on with some more….

Oil Can said:
Mr Eye in the Sky:

Advice is cheap but here are a few pointers I would like to add after reviewing your initial post.

Get a copy of your complete Medical file prior to release, if you don't have the time to go to the MIR or base hospital use the Access to information (personal) act and get them to send a copy. Be prepared to wait though, AIA may take more than a few months depending on the length of your file and who you know that can push buttons. Mine took 3 weeks but that is very rare, and yes I pushed a few buttons.

Wrong.  Prior to release, you go to your BOR.  Absolutely no where else, as you will be directed right back to them.  You will be wasting your time going any other way, trust me on this one, I say again TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.  You will not be waiting for Months, the BOR, must provide a copy immediately, and they will give you an exact day they are to complete making a photocopy for you.  You BOR makes the copy, no one else.

The only time, you would use the ATI is after you have released,
I will admit this, as my mind is not good, but there is a time limit that DND holds those docs until they are sent to the National Archive.  I will ask that someone can help us on that one.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/A-1

Oil Can said:
The representatives at SCAN are helpful, however remember that their responses are "canned" and often Black and white. Get their business cards and ask questions in person or over the phone. Be prepared to hear what they aren't saying (no I'm not being evasive). Sometimes statements like "your application may take a little longer" may mean 6 months or far more.
Get yourself on a temp/permanent Med category. This may have already been done? Ask the doctor for a copy of his/her recommendation report! Next go see a DVA rep and initiate a claim through them. You may reconsider waiting an additional # of years on hold in the military. The DVA VIP program (link above) has a salary compensation/education/retraining package you may qualify for. Check with them, it is a second "catch net" for those whom fall through the system cracks. I have had to wait over 3 years for some applications but sometimes the wait can be worth it.

Oilcan, man, I cannot comment on any of this gobbled gook.  Let me just cut and paste an answer from above….

Here the bit of advice I will give.  I will give you a big BZ with your enthusiasm to help.  You can tell there is a passion.  However, I will say this.  Unless you have the facts, please stop passing on Anecdotal evidence, Myths, Urban legends, and stories you hear from some guy who sat next to a fella in the corner of the local legion.

On thing I will advise is this:

If you have ever been injured while on duty, esure that a CF98 has been filled out!

http://www.dnd.ca/centre/engraph/cf_98_e.asp?subject=1

Oil Can said:
Finally don't take NO for an answer. As it was already point out here, it's your money. Don't be afraid to call DCBA (Directorate for Casualty and Benefit Administration) they usually call back quickly, or The CF Center for Casualty and benefit support. I have seen them turn NO into yes. Even CF Ombudsman decisions have been circumvented or reversed. If you want phone numbers PM me I don't mind helping out.

You mean this mysterious number…..

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cen/atc-slc/index-eng.asp

To speak with a representative please call 1-800-883-6094 / Mon - Fri 08h00 to 17h00 EST. All calls are Confidential. Voicemail will be responded to during the same day and/or by the next business day.

As I said, the internet is a marvelous thing..

Oh man I am tired now...

dileas

tess

I have a question regarding Voc Rehab at another location.
I consulted my Release Section today in an attempt to get info about Voc Rehab and a CORB (change of release base) and was wondering if anyone has done this before. ?
This is not a common thing so I was told. Looking to hear from anyone who has done this before and how it went and any good points and things to avoid..
Just trying to get my plans in place now so there is no scrambling in the end.
FYI, I am on the West Coast looking to be near family for retirement.

Mods, feel free to place in another thread  if need be....

Back