• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal of Honor (the game) Controversy

NazTheEternal said:
What it comes down to is that its an arcade style game. I am quite positive that the developers had no intention of offending anybody that was present during the conflict.

Well, as far as I know, just from reading this thread, and, forums that may have some had some people involved in the creation of MOH,  which is chocked full of opinions of folks that have BTDT......, the game folks went to great lengths, (as far as videogames go), to work with people present for the conflict, so as to not make it an arcade-style game. If someone takes issue with the "product" being called a "game"....it Fucking is....as far as shooters go, a good game, but a game nonetheless.

It's a videogame.

I thought that was the whole point of the game....

Video (one word)

Game (one word)

Get 'yer vid'deo clicker and shoot 'dem baddies.

"It's just a game" is interesting.

I don't mind these kind of video games because I see it as just entertainment.

But if you stop for a second and think about it, take MOH for example. You travel around killing people, some of it considerably graphic.  You can blow someones head clean off with the sniper rifle or shotgun.  A scene where a guy takes out someone else with a tomahawk. I believe in another scene someone gets their neck slit. It's just entertainment.

What would the reaction be to a game where you go around raping people. Find people, tie them up, sexually assault them. Get experience for it, level up, get new tools or whatever.

Is rape different than killing someone? Say in the grand theft auto series killing cops and hookers?  Are war games like MOH and Call of Duty series more acceptable because you're a soldier and the killing part is presumably "part of the job".
What about a game where you go around as a serial killer shooting people.  Different again because of the motives    legal/illegal angle?

Grimaldus said:
Is rape different than killing someone? Say in the grand theft auto series killing cops and hookers?  Are war games like MOH and Call of Duty series more acceptable because you're a soldier and the killing part is presumably "part of the job".
What about a game where you go around as a serial killer shooting people.  Different again because of the motives    legal/illegal angle?

Good point you raise.

If I saw a game called "Rape Quest V".....I sure as hell wouldn't buy it....but why?

Because of exactly what you posted.
I'm a dope that is able to enjoy things at face value, ie: "I likes the MOH, cuz I'm de good guy, and dem is bad guys....guffaw!".....and open fire.

And for that reason. I take the "protagonists" in the game to be good, and righteous in their endeavours.
That' s the culture I was lucky enough to grow up in, I guess.

And for me, it's entertainment to be the "good guys".

If anyone is looking to offload their copy of Medal of Honor that they don't like, drop me a PM and we can work something out. No banned multiplayer CD Keys please.  :D

I played the PC version and it was a lot of fun despite it lacking 360 performance.

There's something a lot of people don't get here:

This game is amazing for those who have played lots of video games. This game feels like crap for those who have barely played any games (wow maybe because they thought it was going to be like real life or what?).

Graphics 9.5/10

The graphics were a lot better than other games such as MW2. It even had moments that out-did Metro 2033 (currently the hardest game to run on the PC). However, the Apache cannon fire and the village blowing up did not impress me. They should have used BFBC2's technology to add more to the game.

The reason why, however this technology might not have worked with this game is because this game WOULD not work without being linear. It's not that type of game and games like BFBC2 seemed a bit ridiculous sometimes with how linear it was where you had to travel across large areas of land to get to where you had to go.

Facial Technology 7/10

The facial technology didn't impress me it wasn't the best and they need to improve it.

Audio 10/10

It's the best audio I have ever heard for a FPS. I am glad the game makers went to actual gun ranges to get all the audio rather than just making fake audio like Modern Warfare.

Singleplayer Campaign 9/10 (-1 due to shortness)

The campaign isn't what I was expecting but it is still good nonetheless. However, it isn't one of those games were you get to change the entire world by your actions. Your actions in this game are a small part of a bigger environment. I was very surprised at the ending of the game and I also learned why the people getting interviewed were angry at how personal the game got at one point.

SPOILER

If you look at the end of the game the person who dies at the end is in fact named in the credits in memory of him. It puts a whole new perspective on the singleplayer campaign. The focus of the game on a whole is brotherhood and what those brothers do for each other.

Multiplayer  8/10

The multiplayer was made by the people who made BFBC2 but they ended up with something that I and many others don't like. The best class in the game is the camping sniper rifle and until they fix this the multiplayer is not very enjoyable. But it is still fun and more original than the typical death match scenarios especially with the practical enforcement of teamwork to succeed.

SevenSixTwo said:
This game feels like crap for those who have barely played any games (wow maybe because they thought it was going to be like real life or what?

yea I thought it was going to be like real life. ::)

I still can't get over how much the game felt like a giant SOF leg humping check in the box.

it reminds me of those game reserves (I'm sure it's not called that) where they slap some cammo on you, give you a hunting rifle, drive you out to where some big game is munching down lunch and you get to blow it away.
Actually that pretty much sums up the scene in the mountains where you stop your quad jump off get told by your buddy to shoot the bad guys, you shoot them, then hop on and drive away.

You have next to zero decision making requirements, you go exactly where the game developers want.
Carrot on a stick.

All the talk about near super human tier 1 pre-release game marketing and your guy is too stupid or weak to lift himself up over a wall, the same wall that your buddy hops up time and time again.
I'm going to kill enemy soldiers from 2 kilometers away but someone help me up onto anything higher than 5 feet.

So, I've finally got the game  ;D It's really nice, the single-player is pretty short, like everyone has said. The multiplayer is great, especially Combat Mission, it feels way less arcade style than MW2.

And I don't know about 360, but for PS3, I haven't come across any annoying/cheating people online yet. (touches wood)  ;)

The game was not bad. I liked how you could change the fire control selector to repetition. I appreciated the fact that they had a realistic delay from the time you pulled the trigger to the time the bullet hit your target (on the sniper mission).

There were quite a few issues though... I got lost quite easily, or didn't know what to do in some situations. A couple nitpicking issues here and there. The story was good, but far too short.

Oh, and I noticed that the Taliban in the campaign have really heavy duty flak vests or something, because it sometimes took me five or six shots to the middle of their body to take them down. Another four to kill them (but that's any game out there, isn't it?).

crooks.a said:
I appreciated the fact that they had a realistic delay from the time you pulled the trigger to the time the bullet hit your target (on the sniper mission).

Same, that was a nice touch. I'm finding some of that online, I'll here a sniper shot, but will only die once the bullet actually reaches me.

crooks.a said:
There were quite a few issues though... I got lost quite easily, or didn't know what to do in some situations. A couple nitpicking issues here and there. The story was good, but far too short.

I also got lost a few times, especially on the mission with the ATVs, but I found that pressing the HUD button usually got me back on track.

Hi MOH2010.

I know I haven’t seen you in awhile….I guess I’ve been busy.

Listen, I know I should do this in person, but I find writing things down helps me to organize my thoughts better.

When we hooked up a few months ago, I thought things would work out.
I know it was kind of sudden, and a little impulsive on my part, but we started out having so much fun, (you know what I mean ;) ).

But, I guess things have changed. It’s not totally your fault…..All my friends told me you weren’t any good for me, and being the stubborn guy I am, I kept on truckin’.
I thought things would get better…I honestly did.

But that update in November?!?! What the hell was that? One really lousy game type on two new maps, that were non-compatible with other gametypes?

That was cheap, MOH…

And then the last “offer” you put on the table…

Someone can just come along, give you a bunch of Microsoft points, and BAM!..you roll over, and make them a full Tier-1?
I’d like to think I’m above calling you a wh0re…..

You may have heard that I’ve been seen around with CoD BlackOps.

I didn't want you to hear it from everyone else first, but it’s true.
(I just call ‘er BLOPS….we’re cool like that).
BLOPS gives me so much more of what I need, with much less of the kind of crap you seem to dish out….I do feel bad, but I need to do this for me, and stop worrying about your happiness.

Anyways, I’m with BLOPS now.
There’s no point in trying to change my mind, it’s made up. You had your chance, and you blew it.
I appreciate our time together, but it’s over.

I’ve gone black, and I won’t be going back.

I hope we can stay friends,

Hammer

Back