• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medals

I joined in '82.  It was rare to see anything besides a CD and a Cyprus gong.

In '88 I went to Iran and received the UNIIMOG medal.

In '90 I was promoted to Sgt and posted to an Air Force outfit.  Whilst there, the base decided that they were going to ensure that all servicemen on the base had the correct ribbon bars for their uniforms.  (I don't know what prompted this, perhaps the Base CWO had a bee in his bonnet).

Anyway, as CC of the unit, I dutifully sent a list of all our members, and their appropriate Medals/Decorations.  There were a lot of CDs, not many Cyprus medals, a few MBs (SAR Techs), and little ole me with "UNIIMOG" beside his name.

A few weeks later I received a copy of my original list, accompanied by the appropriate ribbon bars - all present and accounted for - except MINE!!  I checked the photocopied list and saw that my rank (Sgt) had been circled and someone had written "Sgt - No CD??" and the title "UNIIMOG" circled, followed by three question marks "???"

I eventually straightened it all out - yes indeed, I was a Sgt, yes indeed I did only have 8 years in, therefore no CD, yes indeed, there was such a mission as "UNIIMOG".  I laugh now, but it ticked me off at the time.

Interestingly enough, about 1 month after qualifying for the CD I was charged (different unit by then), and had the charge happened a month earlier I would never have received the CD, as I was charged a few years later as well.  (To quote The Shawshank Redemption - "I didn't do it.  Lawyer f**ked me!"  Anyway - different story).

In the ten years I served AFTER receiving my CD, I earned UNPROFOR, SFOR(3), SWASM w/Afghanistan Bar, and the CinC Unit Commendation (OK - I didn't earn it personally, my unit did).  I was also (naturally) awarded the CFPSM, which I consider my only "gimme" - although I've heard arguments refuting that status.

It's interesting to note that in the first twelve years of my career, I was on two missions (back to back in UNIIMOG), and in the last ten I was on five.

The pace has certainly picked up - to quote a favourite songwriter of mine "The times, they are a changin"

And for the record - I did it because it was what I wanted to do - it was exciting, it was patriotic, it was what I was paid to do.  It was NEVER for the "bling, bling", and it CERTAINLY was never for the money (which in the first few missions was negligible anyway).

FWIW

Franko said:
The medals I see the most are the Golden Jubilee and the 125...which means absolutly nothing. They were doled out by a system of complete chaos. I think it was a dart board with names actually....just throw the dart and the name that gets pined wins.

I, along with 5 other CF members, was awarded the QGJM by my Member of Parliament.  She was alloted a certain amount to distribute to her riding, and chose to award it to the 5 of us who served on Op Apollo.  I consider receiving this medal from my hometown a great honor, and I'm dismayed at how many people wish to diminish it's value.  I agree that the process involved in awarding the medal was not perfect, but not all the recipients are undeserving.

By the way, if it were up to me, I would have awarded it to all serving members. 

PPCLI MCpl said:
I, along with 5 other CF members, was awarded the QGJM by my Member of Parliament.  She was alloted a certain amount to distribute to her riding, and chose to award it to the 5 of us who served on Op Apollo.  I consider receiving this medal from my hometown a great honor, and I'm dismayed at how many people wish to diminish it's value.  I agree that the process involved in awarding the medal was not perfect, but not all the recipients are undeserving.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the medal or diminish its value.  I love to hear stories like this from soldiers as this was a member of parliment that though that military members from her riding deserved the medal.  I salute  :salute: her and wished this happened more frequently.  I also seen some people who got it that deserved it.  One of the guys at the regiment had 9 tours and was awarded the QGJM.  I thought he deserved it for a job well done and for showing the committment to his country.  Unfortunately, most of the people who got them were not the best of soldiers and were often in the rank a long time due to incompetance.  This is were the problems arise.

As for the earlier discussion about purchasing the medal and having it awarded to you, you have to live with yourself don't you.  I would never do that but all the power to you if you can.  I also like the resume on his chest statement.  As I said in another forum, I told a lot of people that the money we were getting in Afghanistan was not worth it if we came home in a pine box.  Yet, people still want to go there for the money.  They turn down other tours so they can go on the one that will make them money.  I am a soldier and as such, I will go were and when I am told to go somewhere.  I took Senegal thinking that we would only receive 1 and 1 for hardship and risk.  I was plesantly suprised when we received quite a bit higher.  The money is nice but it is not why I do it.  I feel it is my job and by turning a tour down, you should be released unless it is for a good reason  ie. family member is seriously ill.

PPCLI MCpl said:
I agree that the process involved in awarding the medal was not perfect, but not all the recipients are undeserving.

Hear, hear.  I just found out one of my oldest friends got the Alberta Centennial Medal; I was proud for him.  He's never served outside Canada, and neither did myself or one of the fellows (and one of the officers) in my unit that got the Centennial Medal, but I would argue that those two have contributed plenty to the CF and to the regiment.  They were good choices; there was much controversy over the other medals mentioned (jubilee, 125).  One of our allotment went to a retired CO who stopped going to mess dinners 20 years ago; but then again, we don't know what service he provided as a member of the regimental senate.

Some of those "light duties" people may have been in the same boat - a lot of service sometimes goes unrewarded.  And sometimes medals go to undeserving troops too, naturally.  I was happy to see the commemoratives go to decent people this time around.  In addition to those that never served overseas, one of our WOs who has paraded faithfully day in day out for 20 years but "only" served on exercise in Norway received one too.  His service goes beyond just showing up regularly; he's always there for the new troops, volunteers for the cadet corps regularly, gives up his summer vacation every year to organize regimental support to the Stampede, etc.

I don't think there will ever be a perfect "system", just faith that regimental allotments will go to deserving soldiers.  Seeing who got ours, I guess it colours the way I look at everyone who got one.

Of course, a retired senior NCM who retired from the forces whom I considered quite useless showed up on the Net wearing a jubilee medal awarded civvieside, so...

Franko, what about the MMM or OMM?  Is there any lustre in those?

Michael Dorosh said:
Of course, a retired senior NCM who retired from the forces whom I considered quite useless showed up on the Net wearing a jubilee medal awarded civvieside, so...

Franko, what about the MMM or OMM?  Is there any lustre in those?

Most people that mentioned the walking wounded were regular force members.  These pers are easier to track as to what they do after work as it affects their PER and is in their best intrest to put it in their brag sheet (rightly or wrongly, that is a whole different string to start).  The ones they have mentioned, the ones I know about at least, were career scam artists.  Everyone is then tarnished with the same brush which is unfortunate.

As for the MMM and OMM, they are generally given to pers who have displayed a lifetime of achievement both in the military and upon civilian life.  You have to do something beyound your normal work but may be over many decades.  Getting to CWO would be a starter for career work but may not be enough to get the MMM.  You also have to be able to justify it to the committee that awards the medal.  That is easier said than done.  Those medals are earned but you as a rank and file member may not be able to see the "BIG" contribution that the member has made.

Back