• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media Bias [Merged]

Thank you all for clearing my confusion. I my days, the trade was called Med A's for Medical assistant.

To confuse things more, in the Navy we called then tiffies.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Thank you all for clearing my confusion. I my days, the trade was called Med A's for Medical assistant.

Isn't it one of those trades that changes with rank, like stokers (mechanic-technician-artificer)?

If so, could someone outline the progression please?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I my days, the trade was called Med A's for Medical assistant.

Med A is now called Med Tech. PAs are a different group.

CDN Aviator said:
Med A is now called Med Tech. PAs are a different group.

PAs are Med Techs who have undergone the two-year Physician's Assistant training.  Once they are done, they get a new MOSID.

Almost all medical trades have the same first five numbers of the MOSID.  It is the second, two number sequence that differentiates the various trades:

Med Tech, PA, PMed Tech, Lab Tech, X-Ray Tech, etc.....

Gets a little confusing sometimes.  :nod:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Have things changed from  my days? PA are Non-commissioned officers?

Only Chief Petty Officers (or, I suppose Chief Warrant Officers) can be Cox'ns.

IMO, the way to go with PA's if we want to maintain their "professional" appearance is to issue them with a set of uniforms from each element.

PSSST - PA's are Physician Assistants - they are WO's and above - no more 6B  Sgts for those that remember them.  And yeah, Cox'n of subs are C2's normally - if they've got the requisite submarine time and the rank, they can be asked if they want the job.  I do have uniforms for every element, though my Hair Force stuff is still that hideous blue.

PA(ff) O's are Public Affairs Officers and yes, hold a commission.

Didn't think you were THAT old  ;D.

MM

Edit - sorry I'm beating a dead horse.  I'll hang my head in shame now.

A twofer: the CBC reapplies for its licence and a response:

CBC gets timeout to plead for more cash
By MARK DUNN, Senior National Reporter, QMI Agency

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/07/08/18395341.html

(QMI Agency illustration)
OTTAWA -- The CRTC has postponed licence renewal hearings for the CBC until next June - a delay that will allow the state broadcaster to plead its case for more money from Heritage Minister James Moore and Canadian taxpayers.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) sought the extension because it doesn't know how much CBC's operating budget will be going forward, even though it nets about $1.1 billion a year from Moore's department, and has had stable funding for years.

The government network has an operating budget of about $1.7 billion a year.

CBC hasn't had a licence renewal in 12 years, and argues it needs a fistful of new dollars to keep Coronation Street, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and other shows on the dial.

Private broadcasters, including Sun News Network, rely on advertising revenues and are at a disadvantage when it comes to budget forecasts because they can't count on guaranteed taxpayer handouts.

The CRTC said in a statement it believes "it would be inappropriate to impose licence conditions given this uncertainty" of not knowing how much money will be set aside for the CBC in the next budget.

The CBC chalked up the delay to the CRTC.

"This was not requested by CBC/Radio-Canada," CBC president Hubert T. Lacroix said in a statement.

"Nonetheless, we look forward to the opportunity to make our case for the future "¦ next year."

Another reason the CRTC is allowing the state broadcaster to operate on an ancient licence involves requests made by intervenors who want to know how much the CBC spends on independent productions in different regions of the country.

The Canadian Media Production Association represents independent producers and said it was disappointed with the stalling by the CRTC.

"More to the point, CBC doesn't need the delay," said Tom Cox, the group's chairman. "It has the resources to compile and provide the requested data within the original time frame."

Denis Carmel, a CRTC spokesman, said moving the hearings to next June won't have a bearing on when CBC's renewed licence is implemented in September 2012.

Twitter:MarkDunnSun

http://canadianconservatives.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/revoke-cbcs-must-carry-license/

Revoke CBC’s “must carry” license

Posted: July 9, 2011 by ferrethouse in Uncategorized

The CBC has been operating without a license in Canada for 12 years. It is expected to apply for a license next June after lobbying weak-kneed Conservative MP James Moore for more money. Not only should their funding level be reduced but they should only be granted the same license that Sun News was given last year. If Canadians really value the state broadcaster than the CBC has nothing to worry about. Canadians will sign up for the service in droves.

Hey, just like every other proud Canadian, I don't watch the CBC.
But damned if I want to lose it!

I feel it is a strong part of our identity and does feature the vast majority of Canadian (and British) content seen by Joe Canada.
Just wish the Gov't would run it a little tighter - or at least have a larger say in how the money is spent - similar to TVO in Ontario..

I think it would be good to directly link fiscal accountability with taxpayer funded budgets. Any taxpayer dollars not accounted for in a detailed public disclosure of spending are automatically removed from the next year's budget for that crown corporation. If they want to keep the spending details "proprietary" they can do it with their own money and not taxpayers. If they want to stonewall disclosure then they lose their budget and are shutdown.

DBA said:
I think it would be good to directly link fiscal accountability with taxpayer funded budgets. Any taxpayer dollars not accounted for in a detailed public disclosure of spending are automatically removed from the next year's budget for that crown corporation. If they want to keep the spending details "proprietary" they can do it with their own money and not taxpayers. If they want to stonewall disclosure then they lose their budget and are shutdown.

:nod:

Heck, even CSE has to disclose a budget, albeit compartmentalized and redacted, to the public.

kawa11 said:
Hey, just like every other proud Canadian, I don't watch the CBC.
But damned if I want to lose it!

I feel it is a strong part of our identity and does feature the vast majority of Canadian (and British) content seen by Joe Canada.
Just wish the Gov't would run it a little tighter - or at least have a larger say in how the money is spent - similar to TVO in Ontario..

Name 3 shows.  Seriously. Off the top your head, without using Google.

SeaKingTacco said:

I don't agree with all this bashing of Canadian television programming. I can name at least three shows that I watch on CBC:

The Simpsons
Arrested Development
Doctor Who

kawa11 said:
does feature the vast majority of Canadian (and British) content seen by Joe Canada.

SeaKingTacco said:

toyotatundra said:
I don't agree with all this bashing of Canadian television programming. I can name at least three shows that I watch on CBC:

The Simpsons
Arrested Development
Doctor Who

None of these shows are "Canadian Content".

I watch more "Canadian content" shows on channels other than CBC.... why did CTV come up with the idea for Flashpoint and not CBC? Seems like the perfect Canadian show for the CBC to develop but a private broadcaster grabbed the idea first. I guess $1.5 billion doesn't by much in the way of imagination and creativity.

Two of them are also Fox programs. Guess the CBC is the "Fox North" for regular programs like Sun NEWS is supposed to be "Fox North" for news programming.

DBA said:
Two of them are also Fox programs. Guess the CBC is the "Fox North" for regular programs like Sun NEWS is supposed to be "Fox North" for news programming.

Global runs all the Fox programming in Canada at the same timeslots. CBC just runs them as reruns to gain revenues.

Well MM, what do you think the first three letters of my  username stand for ???

Actually, I just think I joined when I was very young - I may have been one of the last boy seaman! :)

PuckChaser said:
I watch more "Canadian content" shows on channels other than CBC.... why did CTV come up with the idea for Flashpoint and not CBC? Seems like the perfect Canadian show for the CBC to develop but a private broadcaster grabbed the idea first. I guess $1.5 billion doesn't by much in the way of imagination and creativity.

CBC won't carry or develop something like that because it involves guns. CBC and it's liebrals say 'Guns are bad. If we don't talk about them they will go away.'  ;)

SeaKingTacco said:
I literally 'laughed out loud' because the first one to come to mind was "CBC news"

Mercer Report
George Stroumbo Tonight
Marketplace

PuckChaser said:
I find CTV to be an anomaly though. Before Corner Gas became a hit the only Canadian content I remember them playing was 'CFTO newshour' and 'Canadian Idol'

kawa11 said:
I find CTV to be an anomaly though. Before Corner Gas became a hit the only Canadian content I remember them playing was 'CFTO newshour' and 'Canadian Idol'

Don't forget "Definition*"!  ;D

* extra WIN for the future CTV news guy in this clip!

Back