• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical exam - What do they look for on the skin part of the test?

Kruggle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am not diagnosed with anything and am not on any medication. I was just wondering what they look for on the skin portion of the Medical Exam? Do they look for common things like dry skin and acne? Or mainly just scars on your body and other symptoms that might indicate something?

Not exactly sure what you're talking about....I don't specifically recall a skin-check during my medical. I already have a skin condition that I had to disclose, but the medical examiner didn't inspect my skin or the condition itself.

Maybe someone else could shed some light on something I'm missing here.

Don't worry.  I'm missing something too.  I have never heard of this before.

Uhmmm, the only skin tests (if you can call them that??) I've had in my career have happened when I requested them or as follow up. All related to my various bouts with skin cancer, but all well after I joined. Like a decade after I joined.

A medic is going to have to answer this one.

When learning how to do medicals, in school over the past few months, there was never any mention of a skin test. (nor do I remember one from my recruiting medical when I enrolled)

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Were you told there would be a "skin test"?

I am sorry. Let me be a little more clear.

I was reading this thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37674.0.html

and it says, "- A general physical exam - blood pressure, height, weight, joints, bones, reflexes, symetry, skin, eyes, nose, throat, etc."

ArmyVern said:
Uhmmm, the only skin tests (if you can call them that??) I've had in my career have happened when I requested them or as follow up. All related to my various bouts with skin cancer, but all well after I joined. Like a decade after I joined.

A medic is going to have to answer this one.

various bouts with skin cancer? Are you alright?

You have had a physical exam before, haven't you?  Those are some of the things that you'll find as part of a physical exam.  No big thing.........

Kruggle said:
I am sorry. Let me be a little more clear.

I was reading this thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37674.0.html

and it says, "- A general physical exam - blood pressure, height, weight, joints, bones, reflexes, symetry, skin, eyes, nose, throat, etc."

Ah.. It's just a general exam. Basically, is everything there and in working order. No need to sweat it.

When we do a physical, we look at your skin - see if there are any infections, problems with hair or nails, turkey tracks, scars, tattoos, signs of self abuse, things that might be bad.  It's not necessarily a formal exam, it's just done as we look you over.

MM

medicineman said:
When we do a physical, we look at your skin - see if there are any infections, problems with hair or nails, turkey tracks, scars, tattoos, signs of self abuse, things that might be bad.  It's not necessarily a formal exam, it's just done as we look you over.

MM

I just know I'm going to look like a total dumb@ss asking this, but what are turkey tracks?

Turkey tracks are the lines of scars you see on the veins of IV drug users.  And yes Vern, at least on enrollment exams (last I looked) we're supposed to list tattoos - they're for ID purposes.  I often ask on PHE's if there are any new ones.

MM

medicineman said:
Turkey tracks are the lines of scars you see on the veins of IV drug users.

MM

Ah, well then it's not such a bad thing that I didn't know what they were. ;)

Celticgirl said:
Ah, well then it's not such a bad thing that I didn't know what they were. ;)

It is a big thing.

IV drug users are bad news CG, anyone who injects themselves with illegal drugs are truly bad news PERIOD.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
It is a big thing.

IV drug users are bad news CG, anyone who injects themselves with illegal drugs are truly bad news PERIOD.

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,

She's saying it's a good sign that she had to ask what they were.

You do need the CDS down there to sort you out.  >:D

Thanks everyone!

I am sorry but I have another question about medical history. My parents died when I was still quite young and I don't know the details of their death. My relatives know who and where I am, but I have no information about them. Is this a concern when I fill out my family medical history?

ArmyVern said:
Wes,

She's saying it's a good sign that she had to ask what they were.

Yep, that's what I was saying. If I had to ask what they were, I am obviously not a user myself.

Wes, do you really think I don't know injecting illegal drugs is bad?  ;)

Celticgirl said:
Wes, do you really think I don't know injecting illegal drugs is bad?  ;)

Remember, Celticgir is the "puritain" here ;) 
1.gif
!

Now I know I shouldn't say this ;)

They should check for thickness of skin. If it's too thin, they'll send you here to post questions.

Back