• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application

$60k is what you'll make as a standard pay group Corporal. $49k is what you'll make as a Private. Depending on how much training you need (skilled vs unskilled entry) will determine how close you are to Corporal when you finish training. It's not a bait and switch, it's a complex situation that'll determine your "fully trained" pay.

Yosh said:
I was happy to see that the Forces could provide a somewhat competitive wage with my civilian job as a paramedic.

As you know ( perhaps other readers do not ), paramedic licensure in Canada is provincially regulated.

Salary comparisons depend upon which province you are in. And then, which municipality within that province. 

eg: In Ontario alone, there are about 60 municipal Paramedic services. Each has their own collective agreement.

I'm only familiar with Toronto. This is not up to date. It is only to 2016,
https://army.ca/forums/threads/105151.0
Note: "These are the top earners. Your earnings may vary."

It's pretty competitive. At the last hiring, there were 945 qualified candidates ( two-year diploma and AEMCA ) for 47 Primary Care Paramedic ( PCP ) positions.

In Canada, if you've seen one paramedic system, you've seen one paramedic system...  :)

PuckChaser said:
$60k is what you'll make as a standard pay group Corporal. $49k is what you'll make as a Private. Depending on how much training you need (skilled vs unskilled entry) will determine how close you are to Corporal when you finish training. It's not a bait and switch, it's a complex situation that'll determine your "fully trained" pay.

You're talking about the two different numbers on their own. However, all of the language that comes before and after the numbers provides a specific context to those numbers, and because all of that language is identical in both instances, it is the same specific context. As I stated, as written at least one of those statements has to be wrong. The additional context that you provided in your answer means something different than the language on the Jobs Available Today website; ...$60k is what you'll make as a standard pay group Corporal... vs. The starting salary for a fully-trained Medical Technician is $60,000...

But you did answer my question, and I thank you for that.

Based on your information, the statement on the Jobs Available Today website is not correct.

Yosh said:
You're talking about the two different numbers on their own. However, all of the language that comes before and after the numbers provides a specific context to those numbers, and because all of that language is identical in both instances, it is the same specific context. As I stated, as written at least one of those statements has to be wrong. The additional context that you provided in your answer means something different than the language on the Jobs Available Today website; ...$60k is what you'll make as a standard pay group Corporal... vs. The starting salary for a fully-trained Medical Technician is $60,000...

But you did answer my question, and I thank you for that.

Based on your information, the statement on the Jobs Available Today website is not correct.

The statement on the website is correct (although confusing).  However that website is designed by a team of civilians that don't necessarily understand the military pay structure.

The statement is "The starting salary for a fully-trained Medical Technician is $60,000 per year;" - this is 100% accurate - when you first join the CAF you are not fully trained.  You are not considered "trained" and able to do your job until you reach OFP (Occupational Function Point, also referred to a Operational Function Point in some documents).  That is the rank of a Corporal - a Corporal makes $5,014/month ($60,168/year).

There is recommendation for this wording to be updated to avoid confusion between the starting salary in the CAF vice the starting salary of a fully qualified individual.  However updating doesn't happen over night :)

Back