• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medics requiring to maintain a license

MedCorps

Reaction score
Remember the PCP qualification is only 1/6th of the total QL3 Med Tech medical skill set (although takes up a large chunk of the QL3).  We also have in-patient / casualty holding, primary care, operational medicine, clinic support, and field medical skills that are required of them...

MC

MedCorps

Reaction score
Dushana72 said:
Well, it looks like I will be eating some humble pie....I was so sure I read it in a canforgen that we had to actively maintain a license....oh well. Always wondered what crow tasted like....lol

I do not think there is a CANFORGEN on this.  There WAS a Surg Gen AIG message on this indicating all Reg F Med Techs had to earn the PCP qualification at least once.  We still have a number of older QL3's who never bothered to bridge to the new PCP qualification and this AIG was targeted at them. 

MC

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
HappyWithYourHacky said:
Anyways, point being that I am curious as to why Med Techs are required to earn a licence and Sar Techs are not required...especially since Sar Techs patients are 99.9% Canadian civilians.

Licensure, at least in Ontario, is only required by Flight Paramedics:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_000257_e.htm#BK4

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
MedCorps said:
The CF cannot reach universal agreement with all geographically co-located EHS's to allow Med Techs to meaningful on car ride along experience. This is the reality of a provincially regulated system that is municipally managed / administered. There have, in some cases, also been union issues I am told. 

It could have something to do with the cost and availability of Field Training Officers ( FTO ).

29 things changed this year as the result of a Coroner's Inquest and $10-million civil suit against Toronto EMS.

Some of those changes will likely have a "ripple effect" across the province.

#25 was that probies Probationary Paramedics must now be accompanied by an FTO for at least 12 weeks.

That is in addition to precepting paramedic students from the two "farm teams", Humber and Centennial colleges. 

MedCorps said:
Hospitals seem to be little easier to work with for some reason. 

The department has a long list of SOP's for students.

These are the two that I recall hearing the most problems with:

• Each Observer, during the course of their Ride-Along will follow the directions given to them by
their host Paramedic crew and other emergency service responders when required. Failure to do
so may immediately end the Ride-Along opportunity and prevent them from taking advantage of
any future opportunities.

• Only one student or observer is permitted to ride with an ambulance crew at a time. If a student
or observer is assigned to a single paramedic who is being partnered with another single
paramedic who also has a student or observer, priority will be given to the student or observer
assigned to the station in which the crew will be working. The other student/observer will be
sent home or re-assigned, where appropriate.

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
To answer the opening post question:

Med Techs are not required to maintain a provincial licence. Hence, the CF will not pay for a Med Tech to hold a provincial licence in the province they are posted to.

Med Techs are allowed to get and maintain a provincial licence, but that expense shall be incurred by the member themselves.