• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memorial in Point Pelee National Park

Thanks a ton for the link, its exactly what I was looking for.. When I get back to Canada, have a ton of road trips planned lol

Blackadder1916 said:
In trying to ascertain the origin or author of the inscription on the monument pictured in the OP, found this site of another (?) war memorial in Point Pelee National Park bearing the same inscription.

Edited to add

And this photo of the similar monument on the Cabot Trail.  Click on photo to link to larger size.

The photo in the link stating that the memorial was in Point Pelee, I don't believe is very accurate.  It looks nothing like the Park.

Spanky said:
The photo in the link stating that the memorial was in Point Pelee, I don't believe is very accurate.  It looks nothing like the Park.

I think that the pic at the link may be the war memorial in the actual township.

The picture in the link is somewhat grainy, however, it should be familiar to anyone from Windsor Ontario, if I'm not mistaken.

recceguy said:
The picture in the link is somewhat grainy, however, it should be familiar to anyone from Windsor Ontario, if I'm not mistaken.

Wow. Talk about being a bit off in their website geography.  :-X

Having never visited Point Pelee National Park, I use that as an excuse for my error in not questioning the accuracy of the website to where I directed fellow participants of this forum.  However, I must admit that I was somewhat puzzled that the design of the monument in that photo did not seem to fit with the date noted in the description.
Point Pelee, Ontario
This monument was unveiled on July 1st, 1985 in memory of Canada's Fallen Warriors.

The inscription reads:

They will never know the beauty of this place, . . . .

As for the actual location of the monument in that photo being Windsor . . . well, my familiarity with that city has been only as a transit point northward to the USA (or southward back into Canada) and one odd trip to deposit a psychiatric patient in a local hospital.

A further analysis of that site, particulary its list of Ontario War Memorials, has the memorial listed as "Point Edward Cenotaph" linking to the "Point Pelee" page and the memorial in Windsor listed by its formal title of Essex County War Memorial and includes the same photo.

I 'suspect' that the description given for the "Point Pelee" memorial is correct (at least from whatever reference material they used) despite the other errors on their site. Unfortunately, I haven't found any link to report these errors and as is noted on their mainpage;
Please note that funding for this project ended in October 2000 and no further updates are being made.

As best as anyone around here can remember, there was a cooperative program (Millennium Monument Project Committee) in 1985 between Parks Canada and the Department of Veterans Affairs to put these memorials at our National Parks and National Historic Sites.  1985 was the centennial year of our National Parks system.  There were about a dozen or so of the memorials established across the country.

Jack Alexander
Director of Canal Operations
Trent-Severn Waterway
Parks Canada Agency

Back