• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mental health crisis at CFB Petawawa- Ottawa Citizen

Very good read.

“We just have to hope that if someone does snap they aren’t at their best. Look at what happened in Norway when a rank amateur (Anders Breivik) put his mind to it and trained himself off the Internet. Canadian soldiers are not rank amateurs.”

That's a chilling thought.

While the overall tone and content of the article was good, I'm less than happy with points like this:
“We just have to hope that if someone does snap they aren’t at their best. Look at what happened in Norway when a rank amateur (Anders Breivik) put his mind to it and trained himself off the Internet. Canadian soldiers are not rank amateurs.”
Seriously? Is planting the seed that any or all Afghan vets could be psychotic mass-murderers just waiting to snap really the best way to convey concerns regarding the treatment available?

I did notice that Nemo888 posted an agreeing comment to this line of thought; his wisdom isn't limited to just this site.  :not-again:

Journeyman said:
I did notice that Nemo888 posted an agreeing comment to this line of thought; his wisdom isn't limited to just this site.  :not-again:

::)  Might as well load it for them?  :facepalm:

I'm angry that they didn't prepare for this.  I suspected it would be a problem, re: doc shortages in the province of Ontario, and lack of training re: OSIs; further insult are the cutbacks.  :mad:

I attended a Standing Committee on Veteran Affairs, some things I'd heard about them were confirmed for me at that meeting.  I would not advise attending in an unstable state of mind, though the presense of stable Veterans could be enough to get a few to squirm in their seats ;-)  On the other hand, there was expressed intent (actioned on?  not sure?) on training more civ docs on OSI (IME, lots of useless ones re: general chronic ptsd, both hospitals and community docs).  Doc shortage meant pill-pushing, 5 min visit, no access to training re: PTSD symptom management.  There were some civ docs in Ottawa who did recieve training, 20 years ago and did progress to OSI clinic-- a small handful of motivated docs did go for that.

4 month wait is not too bad, and if it's for e.g. the program in Guelph.  But there are added wait-times re: VAC bureacracy and approval of treatment. . . stressful times. . .  I've met survivors of that sort of treatment, who thankfully survived that period.  But that was hard, especially with a "get er done" attitude and yet having to wait, it's hard on patience, hard on hope.  It' can be a difficult context to experience break down. . .

I wish they could get something going for people on waitlist for approval.  Could the RCL Poppy Fund be allocated towards hiring a few trauma therapists to run a 'stage one: recovery program", with focus on safety and stablization?  They're hard to get, an experienced trauma therapist with OSI/Military context awareness and e.g. if they have to leave their own practice (abandoning their clients, to move. . . that's a problem too. . .).  There is a woman connected with OSI ottawa (worked with Gulf I survivors), she's well connected, could vet appropriate therapists.

If that's possible and fundraising events could help boost morale for those suffering hard times presently.  Recent fundraiser at Uplands for Military Families Fund. . . shows solidarity for those suffering now. . .

The main thing is to survive for help to get there.  I wish things weren't slowed up as that's hard on families, but suicide is worse.  No matter how hellish, please don't give up, use all strengths and resources to survive, resist those impulses.  I heard this from somewhere unexpected, "PTSD is not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of experience". 

It's alarming to read this article, worth circulation to RCL, Blaney, Tining, Mackay, MPs, the Standing Committee members. . .wake up.  Kudos to those who spoke up about what they're experiencing-- this needs to be heard :yellow:

There is a general problem with a lack of psychiatrists everywhere that treat PTSD - I actually have the odd civvy patient with it, and trying to find anyone in the area that treats it, much less finding a psychiatrist, is like pulling hen's teeth.  There are apparently a few in the Brandon area, which is a good thing considering Shilo is in the back yard, but they pretty much only deal with the military folks from what I understand.  If the person is the victim of a crime, Victim's Services can help...otherwise have to make due on my own or hope I can get someone in with the regional mental health services crew or Winnipeg.  Who want's to drive an hour to an hour and an half when they're in crisis?  Anyone?

MM

kstart said:
The main thing is to survive for help to get there.  I wish things weren't slowed up as that's hard on families, but suicide is worse.  No matter how hellish, please don't give up, use all strengths and resources to survive, resist those impulses.  I heard this from somewhere unexpected, "PTSD is not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of experience". 

:goodpost:  The whole post, and especially the quoted part.  Thanks. 

Back