• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merry Christmas, Heres your senate seat.

"Harper has vowed to continue pushing for Senate reforms, and said all incoming senators had promised to support eight-year term limits and other Senate reform legislation."

Would the Liberals, NDP,  Bloq, or any other party have the same expectations of their appointees?  I doubt it.  Harper needed to make these appointments now should it come to pass that this coalition come into fruition.  The other parties could would fill these vacancies with like-minded cronies/traitors and reform would become even more difficult to implement.

That would have been fine with, but as he has locked everyone out, that should have meant also for himself. Proroguing means "everyone" is locked out, not just certain entities. If Dion,Martin or Chretien had of done this I would have been just as critical about them.

Last August the Parliament was also prorogued....it should have made no difference. The other arguments have been  posted.

You seem adamant that Harper should have waited until something was sorted out with the Senate.....I don't disagree that that is the ultimate solution, but, given that isn't going to happen, everybody is pointing out that appointing senators who agree with Senate reform is a better solution than to allow some other party to put "their" hacks in forever.....

retiredgrunt45 said:
That would have been fine with, but as he has locked everyone out, that should have meant also for himself. Proroguing means "everyone" is locked out, not just certain entities. If Dion,Martin or Chretien had of done this I would have been just as critical about them.

What an utterly naive statement.  Do you honestly think that since Parliament is prorogued, not sitting, on holiday, campaigning, etc. that the Government/Cabinet abandon their jobs in governing the nation?  Get real. 

If you subscribe to any of the Government Postings; Finance, Treasury Board, etc. you will still be getting two or three emails a day announcing new policies or changes to policies.  These need Ministerial Approval/Signatures to be posted.   They are still coming out daily.  Seems to me some Members of Government are still working at solving the nations problems.

The Prime Minister and his Cabinet, like the CDS and his staff, may be on vacation, but really isn't.  He is on-call 24 and 7.

Speak of the Devil:

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:31:18 -0500
The following News Release or Speech has just been posted on the Finance Canada Site.

Government Welcomes National Availability of Registered Disability Savings Plans and Extends Deadline for Establishing a Plan and Applying for the 2008 Grant and Bond
http://www.fin.gc.ca/n08/08-110-eng.asp

Le gouvernement se réjouit de la disponibilité à l'échelle nationale des régimes enregistrés d'épargne-invalidité et prolonge la date d'échéance pour établir un régime et demander la subvention et le bon pour 2008
http://www.fin.gc.ca/n08/08-110-fra.asp

Please DO NOT REPLY to this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention this post from the Minister of National Defence.

What an utterly naive statement.  Do you honestly think that since Parliament is prorogued, not sitting, on holiday, campaigning, etc. that the Government/Cabinet abandon their jobs in governing the nation?  Get real.

Yes George I know the wheels still have to turn, but you totally missed my point as I can see from your other two posts. What I was referring to in if you took the time to read it, it was Harper should of waited until the house resumed before appointing these new senators. Have some respect for the institution. The The house is not on holidays or summer break, its been closed, locked up.

Good old boy Chretien shut the doors of the HofC and made an appointment to the senate during the time he shut the doors, and refused to let the MP's work. Wasn't that done to avoid the report re adscam and the sponsorship scandal. Of course, he wanted to keep his shenanigans under wraps and keep on doing what he wanted, after all he learnt from the best shyster all them all, PM. Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Why is Harper any different?

Now Harper is doing the very same thing after he complained loud and clear his dissatisfaction with that move. Politicians in general are all so predictable, back them into a corner and they all quickly begin to show their real intentions. Most have one loyalty and that's to the party they serve, anything outside of that takes second fiddle.

Sorry George I'm not naive, I do have a few clues how government works and insults won't get you anywhere, I thought you were above that.

You acuse me of being a "Liberal Hack", in which I informed you, I wasn't partisan to any party, I place politicians on a very low pedestal, right down there with lawyers and used car salemen. So please why don't we just agree to disagree, because we can do this all day. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me, please leave it at that, before we say something we both will regret later.

retiredgrunt45 said:
.......... I place politicians on a very low pedestal, right down there with lawyers and used car salemen.

Actually, I, and quite a few others, will agree with you on those points.  I guess it boils down to presentation.   ;)

Have a safe and Merry Christmas George and the best to you and your family in the new year  ;)

Cheers
RG45.

While we're being logical, let's not evade the fact that Harper has had almost THREE YEARS to fill the Senate with his own hacks if that was really his intention.  So, the question is prompted: did he do it because he is worthless political scum, or because his hand was forced by circumstances?  Does being "Conservative" mean having to cheerfully expose one's throat to the political knife so that a gaggle of Liberals and NDP can pose for smiles and handshakes all around while they appoint 18 senators and call it a great day for democracy in Canada?  His stated goal is senate reform.  How is that goal advanced by allowing any of the opposition parties to appoint their own senators, with no strings - actual or implied - attached?  I submit to the whingers that Harper has acted in a manner supportive of the long-term goal of senate reform.

How much difference does it make if the appointments are made now, or announced 5 minutes after the House resumes sitting?  I mean, to people who don't think the wax on the paint job sets the value of the car.

Brad Sallows said:
While we're being logical, let's not evade the fact that Harper has had almost THREE YEARS to fill the Senate with his own hacks if that was really his intention.  So, the question is prompted: did he do it because he is worthless political scum, or because his hand was forced by circumstances?  Does being "Conservative" mean having to cheerfully expose one's throat to the political knife so that a gaggle of Liberals and NDP can pose for smiles and handshakes all around while they appoint 18 senators and call it a great day for democracy in Canada?  His stated goal is senate reform.  How is that goal advanced by allowing any of the opposition parties to appoint their own senators, with no strings - actual or implied - attached?  I submit to the whingers that Harper has acted in a manner supportive of the long-term goal of senate reform.

How much difference does it make if the appointments are made now, or announced 5 minutes after the House resumes sitting?  I mean, to people who don't think the wax on the paint job sets the value of the car.

Brad, Liberal supporters along with their NDP morons will never agree with anything Stephen Harper does. He has a minority government, that has no support from the jackals in opposition, yet they cry that he has broken promises yet convieniently ignore their flip-flops and walk-outs. I'm sure if the PM was to have a majority he would be working hard for an elected Senate, something the Libs and NDP never want to see. He truly had no option here, don't appoint and risk the Coalition of Idiots taking over and quickly filling the seats with the likes of Elizabeth May!

Stephen Harper has accomplished more with a minority government than Chretein did in near 13 years of majority, and looking at polling numbers would get a clear-cut majority if we go to another election anytime soon.

The Libs have 58 seats as opposed to 20 Conservative if I recall. Harper held off filling those seats in the hope of a reform. With a possible coalition in the works Harper felt he better fill them before the libs did, also removes the ability for the opposing parties to use the empty seats as bargaining chips for the survival of the coalition. Proroguing Parliament only delays the inevitable, does not remove it. In fact this delay is likely the best thing to happen for the Liberal party and gives them a chance to avoid political suicide and depose of the body of their former leader, not to mention clean up the mess a bit. The outrage is manufactured by the Libs, but truly felt by the NDP, BLOC and Greens who hope to get key players into those senate seats.

Well, within another year there will be 12 more senate seats available...20 + 18 + 12 = 50 compared to 58 - # of Liberal Senators retiring, should work out quite well......

Back