• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MESO vs. MEM

On a related topic, I know MESOs are not the same as Marine Engineer Mechanics, but can they still volunteer to go on the heavies as engineers?

Generally no. I have been on steamers before and was given training to get my AMOC,but that was a unique situation. With the state of our manning right now there's no way NAVRES is going to cut a contract for a MESO to sail on a CPF or 280. Now if they did, a MESO would have to train to get their ticket like any other roundsman, its possible but highly unlikely.

Has anyone done a co-op degree while working as a MESO, maybe N. McKay? I know it would be hard, by I've heard rumours that it can be done.

tumbling_dice said:
Thanks anyway.
I would think that trying to do a degree while employed on one of the 5 (wait 4) active Kin Class ships would be a challenge. You would be at sea plenty and although you have time to yourself, being able to focus on the education part with all the distractions of being at sea would be plenty tough. I know people whoare able to do it while posted to a shore billet, and they even may attend classes and lectures.  Unless you're doing only one course at a time, it would be a challenge.

Sailorwest is entirely correct.  Your time on board a ship as a MESO will be very busy.  You will sail lots and when your particular ship isn't sailing, be prepared to perhaps join another ship that is because they are likely short MESOs as well, although this is mostly at the B-ticket (Engineering Officer-of-the-Watch) level.

earlier quote:
"In relation for to one of my other questions, after you do MESO QL1, QL2 is OJT experience (4-6 months).  It says that OJT can be tailored around the member's schedule.  Would I be able to, for example, do four months (120 days) over 60 weekends on the MCDVs? (The idea behind this is I'm thinking of doing a degree in Mechanical Engineering and thought that being a MESO would be the most relevant naval reserves occupation but this obviously puts strain on time especially because the University of Victoria has a mandatory Co-op program.)"

Kratz's advice here is sound.  Your 4-6 months of OJT being "tailored" around an individual's schedule has limits.  Weekends will be a no-go, in addition to the cost that Kratz outlined.  Weekends are one of the few periods when the ship ISN'T sailing - it will likely be alongside home or foreign port - either way, no training is going on.  You need 4-6 months of sea-time (mostly) to gain experience conducting drills and whatnot.  The number of requirements to complete combined with the number of hours you must stand (sea going in addition to harbour-watch hours - the exact number escapes me) requires you to spend much time at sea.  And it really does take 4-6 months - this is the barrier for Class A (part-time) MESOs who simply cannot get that much time off from their civilian employers.  So, a schedule "tailored" around your schedule implies blocks of time - weeks (preferably months) at a time.

So MESOs are assigned to ships, not to reserve divisions?  I was planning on parading with HMCS Malahat. I do live in Victoria, so I can find my own way to CFB Esquimalt.

tumbling_dice said:
So MESOs are assigned to ships, not to reserve divisions?  I was planning on parading with HMCS Malahat. I do live in Victoria, so I can find my own way to CFB Esquimalt.
When you join, you would join the NRD at MALAHAT. You do parade with them from Sept to Apr every year. Once you get your QL1 course done, in order to get OJT for your progression, you need to be posted to the ship. As was indicated, the possibility of acquiring time on weekends over the year in probably a non-starter as the ships, unless they are deployed, rarely sail on weekends. For some weird reason, sailors don't want to work 7 days a week. I don't get it, they get paid for every day don't they? :D
Although you may be able to submit a NATRAP indicating your availability for periods of time that the ship is sailing that fit with your school, your best bet for time towards OJPR, is during the summer training period, when you are out of school. Your Natrap should result in a posting message to a ship for the purpose of OJT.  Other than that, take a year off school to get the OJT and maybe QL2, all in one shot and then go back to school

First of all thanks so much, you've all been very helpful.  And believe me, I would work eight days a week if I could, but ridiculous thnigs like school do sometimes have to take priority.  Anyway, I was planning on doing my first work term with the Reserves in order to finish my first OJT.  What would life look like after that (assuming I get my "A" ticket).  And also, if I started in September, would I not be able to do any of the distance QL1 training until after my summer BMQ or could I get a head start and then just do the formal three week Quebec course after my BMQ?

Stoker would be better able to answer career progression questions than I.  With respect to doing DL and BMQ - you do BMQ first.  You can't get a head start because the CF has no idea if you are even going to pass BMQ, so we don't bother allocating resources toward a person's MOS training until they have at least passed that first step.  So, if you "start" in September (by which I am assuming you mean you will be enrolled) then you will undertake BMQ training the following summer and then MESO trg the summer after that.

tumbling_dice said:
What would I do up until my BMQ?
Not a lot really. You may get a first aid course and parade with the unit regularly. I'm not sure when you need to do NETP but part of that might be done at the unit level. You would likely end up in a pre-BMQ division, depending on how MAL does business. Although you have a cadet background, the system is geared around people with no experience. Until you get a QL 1 course, you would not likely do any trade specific training either, but that would depend again on MAL.

The summer pre-BMQ training has a DL package that are to be completed prior to be loaded onto the course at NRTD in Borden. This is to accommodate the 10 week summer BMQ vice the standard 13 week BMQ other times of the year. I do not have the list at home, but as SW mentioned, some of the chapters that will need to be completed include: rank recognition, pay and benefits briefing, first aid, WHIMIS training, SHARP training,  and simple drill at the halt.

Myself I am on my NETP and I wanna be a Meso along with later switch to MEM.
Do you guys know what I have to do to be able to get Meso if I am a boatswain?

MESO from Bos'n - Request a OT (Occupation Transfer). As well, stop using the term MEM. It is a kipper (RN) term which has NEVER been used in our Navy (Not even the "old" RCN!). All that said, I would almost suggest if you wish to eventually go RegF MAR ENG, why not request the CT (Component Transfer) as soon as you are done NETP?
Maybe "MESO OCCUPATION Mgr" can chime in here, but there is a move afoot (finally) to bring these two occupations (MESO and MAR ENG) closer together. I know for a fact that there is a meeting here in Ottawa today and tomorrow with a group of CPO stokers (MESO and MAR ENG) as well as the RegF MAR ENG MOC Mgr to discuss.

Well it's depends if reg force will accept my schooling in Saskatoon saskatchewan which  I am taking mechanica engineering at siast for 2 years. Which I wanna complete for 2 years or do I stick with reserves which pays 8000 for it. The question is will will reg force accept it or wouldn't  recognize it?

Bam_dice said:
Well it's depends if reg force will accept my schooling in Saskatoon saskatchewan which  I am taking mechanica engineering at siast for 2 years. Which I wanna complete for 2 years or do I stick with reserves which pays 8000 for it. The question is will will reg force accept it or wouldn't  recognize it?

I don't know if they will recognize your English..........

I think he meant the grammar and spelling in your post! (put the can of beer down!) ... Anyway, you should have a PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment) done. I, myself have a Mechanical Engineering Technologist diploma and yes, indeed, it did mean something.

Back