• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

metric vs imperial - which does CF use?

This is something I was running through my head today, as I'm considering joining the army reserves and was looking very closely at the Combat Engineers page on the recruiting website. Are you guys forces to use the Metric system only in the CF or is there a healthy mix of both systems like in other trades/industries in Canada?? I would go absolutely mental if I had to switch my brain to centimetres and metres instead of inches and feet. And the military is government, which I believe likes to use strictly metric.

A bit of a random thought but I'm throwing it out there. Anyone who's worked in trades knows what I mean! :D Thanks

mariomike said:
metric vs imperial - which does CF use?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/50265.0;nowap

Thank you, that did not show up in my search! Last post was in 2006, will I get chewed out if I post a reply there?

So in the end, would things like reference materials/plans/tools/hardware all be in metric too? BRUTAL. I've worked in other trades/industries and it's a nice healthy mix of what works best. Just curious guys, trying to mentally prepare. Thanks

As this whole thread has mentioned, land navigation and target identifying etc is done in metric, metres and mils for distance and direction. Same as for measuring time fuze,det cord, etc.  Air and sea nav are in degrees, knots, and nautical miles.  5/8" plywood is still 5/8" plywood, a 2x4 is a 2x4, and shoreline is still acquired in 50' lengths.

Altitude is measured in feet.

Sometimes it was measured in inches in the Kiowa days.

I thought the answer would be easy by saying that if the 'gadget' you are working on was made in the U.S., assume imperial and if Europe, assume metric but I would be all wrong. As an example, the General Electric LM 2500 gas turbine (Propulsion engine in HAL class) measures stage turbine temperatures in deg C and compressor stage pressures in bar but vibration is measured in mils (1/1000th of an inch).

You get adept at switching back and forth-kind of like learning a new language.

Pat

Kat Stevens said:
As this whole thread has mentioned, land navigation and target identifying etc is done in metric, metres and mils for distance and direction. Same as for measuring time fuze,det cord, etc.  Air and sea nav are in degrees, knots, and nautical miles.  5/8" plywood is still 5/8" plywood, a 2x4 is a 2x4, and shoreline is still acquired in 50' lengths.

Except that a 2x4 isn't really 2x4; it's 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

dapaterson said:

Which is why I said A 2x4 is still A 2x4, not a 2x4 is still 2"x4".

Shamrock said:
The CF is a little more metric than average Canadians.  Officially, we speak metric, but unofficially we'll measure in SI.

Metric is SI. I think you meant BG system :)

As engineers we use a mix of metric and imperial...go figure... ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
As engineers we use a mix of metric and imperial...go figure... ;D

Interesting you mention that because it was looking into the Combat Engineering trade that lead me to ask in the first place... Feel like elaborating or has it basically been covered already by these other guys? CHeers

dapaterson said:

Kat Stevens said:
Which is why I said A 2x4 is still A 2x4, not a 2x4 is still 2"x4".

Depends on whether it is rough or dressed lumber.

And Canadian engineering design manuals are in metric, so it's a 38x89.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

Are Imperial Measurements outdated?

We use both on the ships and they often turn up in some unexpected areas depending on what parts are available at the time (some of the systems are pretty bastardized at this point).

Best thing to work on though in my opinion is the Diesel Generators on a Frigate. Why? It is because it is all Metric. 12mm too small? Grab a 13mm or 14mm. I can safely say if everyone were to move to Metric (that includes our neighbours to the south) it would be so much simpler. 

Eaglelord17 said:
We use both on the ships and they often turn up in some unexpected areas depending on what parts are available at the time (some of the systems are pretty bastardized at this point).

Best thing to work on though in my opinion is the Diesel Generators on a Frigate. Why? It is because it is all Metric. 12mm too small? Grab a 13mm or 14mm. I can safely say if everyone were to move to Metric (that includes our neighbours to the south) it would be so much simpler.

Just use a metric to imperial conversion wrench.

cupper said:
Just use a metric to imperial conversion wrench.

Don't worry I am well aware of the universal wrench (carry one on my belt at all times), but it is nice to use ratchets and the proper sized wrenches (especially when dealing with some of the tight spaces encountered on a ship).

Imperial measurements left an exhaust port exposed.  And none of those "Hey, it's no bigger than a womp rat" excuses...

Hey all

I head off to BMQ soon, and I know I should focus on prepping for that and worry about trades training after.

However,  a thought just crossed my mind.  I will be going for construction tech, and I have previous experience in new home construction and renovations. 

I read a post about "issued tape measures" and being imperial/metric,  but that post was from 2006, and may have changed.

So, do we get issued tools, or can I use/bring my own?  I've grown fairly attached to my own hand tools over the past years.  I like the hammers I have, and my tool belt.  And are we using metric or imperial?  Its been a while since I worked in metric, I usually just convert any code dimensions on my construction master calculator to imperial.

Cheers.

CF will provide you whatever tools/equipment you need to do your job. That way, you get free replacements if/when they break. If you break your own hammer, the CF won't buy you a new one.

Alright, thanks.

I can understand that.  Weird, on civvy side we were responsible for our own hand tools, drills, and (sometimes) nail guns/circ saws.  Bits, blades,chalk and the like were supplied by my employer.

I guess I'll wait to get to my platoon before I break out my stiletto..  I just saw in the videos they all used the same junky Kunys nail bag and the Stanley Antivibe hammer which has way too short of a handle for the weight that it is.

Back