• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MilCOTS GMC Silverado (Iltis replacement for the PRes)

This is a spurious idea, since Martin froze all capital acquisitions except for the Sea King replacement, across the board, and not just in the military. That occured before Ms. Stronach‘s intentions became commonly known. You‘d hardly think that Mr. Martin would turn off the tap on hundreds of projects just to put the kibosh on one thing that Magna has to do with.

G'day folks..
I saw a couple of brand new MILCOTS Line Trucks going into Auto Haulaway in Moncton last night and it got me to thinkin'..
Since this vehicle is going to be the main light duty admin type truck for Reserve units, why not make the best of it. Back when Militia black hats were all recce, (ie pre-cougar), we all had 5/4 ton CPs to use as part of the recce sqns. Some brain child in Fort Fumble decided that the sigs needed them more than us and they were re-distributed. The deal was that we would get a Sig Ops van with crew whenever we needed one. That lasted about two years. Then they started becoming "unavailable".

Now that all the Reserve Armour units are changing back to recce we once again need CPs and it should be two minimum per unit vice the one we used to have.

Since the Army is all cranked up about buying civy pattern trucks..(here it comes folks)..why not go out to the manufacturers of trailers/campers and ask for bids on a truck-back camper CP version. It wouldn't have to have all the bells and whistles that the standard hunters/fishermans have. No microwave, no shower, no stove and fridge. Just a 24 volt system, work spaces and lots of stowage. These could be set up for radios and built to slide on the back of a MILCOTS. When not required as a CP, you just off load them in the compound and leave them until next exercise. That way you can still use the truck for other stuff. They would give units a CP capability and would be okay for civilian areas and dom Ops. The LSVW CPs could be used when you are on a large training area doing the "cross country thing. The CP camper could also be dropped off on hard standing and used  in conjunction with a generator or house current to be a dismounted CP.

I think this would be a cost affective way to solve the problem of CP shortfalls in Reserve units.

Ottawa guys lurking this means..feel free to cash in.

Here's another thought... the LCT pods... aren't they just refitted CRATs pods? Meaning that they should be able to be dropped onto a Milcot without modification?

This sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to encourage the powers that be to buy more  of the darn things.

Hopefully we can get a real CP vehicle some day soon.

Just a side question, I've heard the milcots are not supposed to be used offroading because they have an aluminum undercarage or something. Any truth to that?

Not to sure about that. I just know they really suck off road and on black tracks. They get stuck on dirt roads if the gravel is loose enough and they have next to nothing in terms of ground Clarence. The rear differential is like 6 inches of the ground.

It would be cool to see a brand new style of pod, possibly with A/C and some more elbow room, but I think we all can agree that the MILVERADO doesn't have the offroad capability that the military needs, so investing in new mods for these vehicles diverts funds from our ultimate goal,  the replacement and subsequent destruction of all LSVWs. UNIMOGs anyone? 8)

GDawg..
I proposed this as an alternative to SMP CPs for Reserve units. They would be used mostly in civilian areas where there won't be much "off roadin" anway. Recce Sqns need CPs now. Not 5 years from now (or whenever) when someone buys a replacement for the current LSVW CPs.
No, MILCOTS are not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they are what we have. We should make the best possible use of them. It would be better to build a $10000 CP box that will slide on an existing vehicle than wait till who knows when for a $30000 version that they won't buy enough of anyway.

Again, I'm almost sure the LCT pods are just CRATs pods, which mean they should fit rather nicely on a MILCOT. The radio pods should fit on a MILCOT too, not absolutely sure, just a guess there.

Just a Sig Op..
LCTS? You have to realize that everyone in the army doesn't neccessarily know everyone elses terms. Are you talking about the normal CP box that fits on an LSVW? The one that was originally on the 5/4s? If so, it is designed to fit on the full frame of a vehicle, not in the cargo box.
Further to that, if the army has something that would (now) fit in the cargo box of a civy pattern vehicle like a MILCOTS, I venture a guess that there are not enough of them and they were an overly expensive one-time purchase.

Once again, we need CPs now, not 5 years from now after another ridiculously long purchasing process. A contract to a civy camper manufacturer for a Militarized Civilian Off The Shelve Ops Van from a Camper would get us up and runnning. A redistribution of existing kit wopld not cure the problem (as a matter of fact, that is what got us in this mess in the first place).

Has any one seen a MILCOTS with TCCCS in them yet. I heard a rumor that the veh can't be kitted out because of an electrical problem.

Is this True?

I agree though we do need a CP and soon.

I didn't actually know if the CP pods on the LSVWs were the same ones off the old 5/4 ton chevs, though if they are, it's not that hard to take the cargo box off a pickup, no problem to swap any surplus CP pods from onto LUVWs.

The CP pods however were not what I was referring to, I was actually referring LCT (Light communications terminal) pods. It's part of the NCCIS equipment. The pods are, as far as I know, former CRATS pods, which were (Again, as far as I know, both CRATS and the old 5/4 ton predate me) mounted inside the cargo bed as opposed to directly to the frame...

Not really enough room inside for a CP, but you COULD most of a CP inside with a little careful planning. Would be practically no room to move though.

Sig Op..
Now I think I know what you mean. I've seen something like that around. If they fit in acargo box they could probably work, but a CP really does need room to move. If a CP box was available that required the removal of the cargo box portion that would defeat the purpose of my suggestion. I meant for this to be easily converted back and forth between standard MILCOTS and the CP version. Being able to leave the CP box in the compound when not required would be agreat plus. We wouldn't have to tie up a truck with a CP box that was only required on Sqn level or higher exercises.

Is it possible to get the accessories to modify a civilian Silverado (ie paint, bumpers, winches,etc) somehow for a personal vehicle??? Or at least the specs, supplier info??? I really want to do one up to look authentic!

TheEngineer

I'm Not the Problem, I'm the Solution!

Put on roll bars and paint it green. You will have a fully milspec LUVW ;)

No you won't. In addition to the outside cosmetics, there are things like the 24 volt system, black out package, load system for the box, radio rack and GPS mount. Just to name a few. If you really want to be authentic, you'll also need the Allison transmission and drive system.

I only mean authentic in looks, not all the mil spec stuff. Just Body armour, paint, can blackout stuff myself, and I already have the Allison tranny and duramax. Just smacked it up and need to fix some stuff and paint it so I wanted to change it up!

The Engineer

Body armour? Since when did the LUVW have body armour?

Really... just paint it green.

Relax! - HD Bumpers and attachment points are body armour to an extent. It's more than enough for commuter traffic!

TheEngineer

Back