• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Compound of Québec, Armoury Lost to Fire

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080404.wfire05/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

Fire rips through Quebec Armoury

RHÉAL SÉGUIN

Globe and Mail Update

April 4, 2008 at 11:57 PM EDT

QUEBEC — Military personnel watched in horror last night as flames tore through the home of Canada's oldest French infantry regiment.

Fire broke out at the Quebec City Armoury, located just outside the walls of the Old City, at around 9:30 p.m., witnesses said, followed by a major explosion.

Most of the building, which was built in 1884, collapsed less than two hours after the fire started, leaving only the brick wall and the two towers at the main entrance standing in the facade facing northward toward the National Assembly.

The armoury's famous suspended wood ceiling, the largest in Canada, collapsed at about 10 p.m., said Captain Paul Sacca, media relations officer with the Canadian Forces.

The armoury, near the city's citadel and the Governor-General's official Quebec residence, was home to Les Voltigeurs de Québec riflemen, a reserve unit of the Canadian Forces.

Police said no one was injured. At least eight fire trucks with dozens of firemen were still outside late last night battling the fire.

“I'm heartbroken [at] the loss of such a historic building,” Captain Daniel Duguay of the Voltigeurs said as he watched the destruction.

Capt. Sacca confirmed that no military activities were taking place inside the building last night. He added that firefighters were doing their best to save the regimental museum at the east end of the building and the officers' mess hall at the western end.

“Our [country's] soldiers are fighting in Afghanistan,” he said. “They've fought many battles for other people in the past. We will come out of this disaster and we will rebuild this building, which is a major historical, cultural and military monument to our past.”

Les Voltigeurs is the oldest French infantry regiment in the country. The armoury, which was under renovation, was used for training cadet and reserve units for the military.

The regiment was founded in 1862 by Charles de Salaberry, son of the victor of the battle of Châteauguay.

The museum housed First and Second World War memorabilia, including valuable pieces like the Vimy Bell, the regiment's weapons, uniforms, medals and models, and artifacts of the Louis Riel uprising in western Canada.

It was not clear last night if any of the displays had been moved out during the renovation.

http://ago.mobile.globeandmail.com/generated/archive/RTGAM/html/20080405/wfire05.html

Blaze leaves landmark in ruins
RHÉAL SÉGUIN
Globe and Mail Update

QUEBEC — A Canadian landmark was in ruins early this morning after flames tore through Quebec City's historic armoury.

The fire broke out at the armoury, located just outside the walls of the Old City, at around 9:30 last night, witnesses said, followed by a major explosion.

Much of the building, which was built in 1884, collapsed less than two hours after the fire started, leaving only the brick wall and the two towers visible at the main entrance in the facade facing northward toward the National Assembly.

However, military officers said some of the building might be saved.

Sylvain Rousseau, head of operations with the Quebec City fire department, said that when firefighters arrived, they noticed thick smoke and there had been a major explosion.

The building was famous for its suspended wood ceiling, the largest in Canada. However, Mr. Rousseau said, the flames spread rapidly through the old wood of the ceiling and across the building and it was too dangerous for fire fighters to go inside.

“It went very fast, no sooner had the first team of firefighters arrived than they saw thick smoke coming out of the roof of the building,” he said. “In the time it took to set up the hoses to fight the fire, within a few minutes, the flames spread through the whole building.”

The ceiling collapsed at about 10 p.m.

The armoury, which resembled a fairy-tale castle and stood near the city's citadel and the Governor-General's official Quebec residence, was home to Les Voltigeurs de Québec riflemen, a reserve unit of the Canadian Forces.

Police said no one was injured. At least eight fire trucks with dozens of firemen were still outside late last night battling the fire.

“I'm heartbroken [at] the loss of such a historic building,” Captain Daniel Duguay of the Voltigeurs said as he watched the destruction.

The armoury was the site of annual Remembrance Day ceremonies and had been scheduled to play host to events for Quebec City's 400th anniversary this year.

Captain Paul Sacca, media relations officer with the Canadian Forces, confirmed that no military activities were taking place inside the building last night. He added that firefighters were doing their best to save the regimental museum at the east end of the building and the officers' mess hall at the western end.

“Our [country's] soldiers are fighting in Afghanistan,” he said. “They've fought many battles for other people in the past. We will come out of this disaster and we will rebuild this building, which is a major historical, cultural and military monument to our past.”

General Christian Barnabé, who is in charge of Canadian Forces Quebec land unit, watched the firefighters trying to stop the destruction of the building where he trained as a Voltigeur in his youth.

“What's important is not the building itself but the people who train there, the Voltigeurs,” he said. “The unit is still alive and well and they will continue to live on here in Quebec City.”

Les Voltigeurs is the oldest French infantry regiment in the country. The armoury, which was under renovation, was used for training cadet and reserve units for the military.

The regiment was founded in 1862 by Charles de Salaberry, son of the victor of the battle of Châteauguay.

The museum housed First and Second World War memorabilia, including valuable pieces like the Vimy Bell, the regiment's weapons, uniforms, medals and models, and artifacts of the Louis Riel uprising in western Canada.

General Barnabé said some of the memorabilia was saved, including the unit's colours, and military drums.

Listed as a major national architectural structure built in 1885, the Musée des Voltigeurs contains one of the largest collections of military accoutrements in Canada. It is located inside the Military Compound of Québec (Manège militaire Voltigeurs de Québec), a true jewel of national heritage, and was built according to architect Eugène-Étienne Taché's plans. The museum presents weapons, uniforms, medals, and models of the Voltigeurs of Québec--a unit of officers which carried more than their own weight in major battles--as well as items of great value, such as the Bell of Vimy and some historic regimental drums.

http://www.quebecregion.com/e/tours.asp?lnCircuitsId=2

Two photos of lost herritage.
Second photo is from Wikipedia.

Do you think the incident in the article below was the result of anti-military arsonists?

Fire destroys major Quebec City landmark

Updated Sat. Apr. 5 2008 8:06 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Quebec City landmark has been heavily damaged by fire.

The armoury, built in 1884, broke out in flames at about 9:30 p.m. on Friday evening.

Two hours later, much of the building had collapsed. At least eight fire trucks and dozens of firefighters had been dispatched to fight the blaze.

The armoury had provided a home to Les Voltigeurs, a Canadian Forces reserve unit and Canada's oldest French infantry unit. In addition, it has housed a museum containing First and Second World War memorabilia, along with artifacts of the Riel Rebellion.

The building also contained Canada's largest suspended wood ceiling.

Some articles were reportedly rescued, and military officials hope some of the building can be saved.

The armoury had been scheduled to host events to mark Quebec City's 400th anniversary and had been undergoing renovations. No cause has been determined yet.

Link: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080405/armoury_fire_080405/20080405?hub=Canada

Celticgirl said:
Do you think the incident in the article below was the result of anti-military arsonists?

If it were, they'd have to come forward and claim responsibility to get their message out.

I believe that it's because the place was under renovation and something was left on by one of the workers that the building went up.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
If it were, they'd have to come forward and claim responsibility to get their message out.

Not necessarily. No one has yet (as far as I know, anyway) claimed responsibility for the graffiti on the peacekeeping monument. I guess we'll see when the cause of the fire is determined and if incidents like these keep happening.

Celticgirl said:
Not necessarily. No one has yet (as far as I know, anyway) claimed responsibility for the graffiti on the peacekeeping monument.
In that case, the graffiti got the message out.  There is no message in the unfortunate burning of an historic building unless someone sends out a message saying "this is why we did it."

... there is always the possibility that there was no message & only an angry attempt to "stick it" to the military.  I suspect this was an accident though.

Ironically, workmen were supposed to install a fire sprinkler system as part of armoury renovations!!

Also, the media has so far made no mention of another famous Canadian infantry regiment that was formerly housed in this armoury.

Quebec City once had an Anglo (yes Virginia, there were and still are Anglos in Quebec City) infantry battalion, the 8th Battalion formed in 1862 at the same time as the French-speaking 9th Battalion.  Around 1900, the battalions took the names 8th and 9th Regiment, and around 1920 the 8th was renamed the Royal Rifles of Canada, while the 9th became the oft-mentioned Voltigeurs de Quebec.

The Royal Rifles were one of two battalions (Winnipeg Rifles) who were shipped off to Hong Kong late 1941 to meet their tragic fate following the Japanese invasion. Survivors of the ill-fated battle were held for years in captivity under cruel conditions.

It is my understanding the Voltigeurs’ fine museum was housed in the former Royal Rifles’ officer’s mess.

I was told that in the 1862 when both battalions were taken on strength, a contingent of Scots, not wanting to associate with the English 8th Battalion, went over to the Franco 9th Battalion and formed the Scot’s Company (No. 5 Coy “Highland” under the command of Captain J. Cook Thompson and Lieutenant James Gibb).

Way back in the mid 1960s, while on my first summer camp with the cadets at Valcartier, my section corporal was from the Royal Rifles (I still have a picture of him)!

I managed this morning to get on air on Quebec City’s French-language Radio-Canada station during their history program to set the record straight.

Soldiers from the Voltigeurs managed to save their colours from destruction – bravo!!!

Mike

The Mad Medic

They saved the colours.  Well done boys!  :salute:

It truly is a shame.  That much history in one place lost so quickly.

Thanks Mad Medic

Quebec City has quite an interesting military past.  This is only one of the English Units to be raised in the City.  The Royal Canadian Dragoons were formed in La Citadel.

Having visited this Armoury and the Museum there, I find this a very sad day for Canada's military heritage.  I only hope that the firefighters were able to save portions of the collection housed in the building.  It was a quite significant collection, and my hopes are, as someone mentioned before, that they had moved a large part of it out for the renovations.  

I hope that the Federal, Provincial and Municipal Governments can come together in agreements to rebuild saving as much of the facade and original building as possible in the process.

I will second your sentiment George.  Quebec city is an incredible looking place, and this is an unfortunate loss in what may be this continent's most historically rich city. 

They won't be able to truly asses the damage for days maybe weeks yet but if the stone and mortar wasn't too badly heat stressed it should be salvageable.

I was sadden to here about this great historic loss of history . But at the same time I am just glad that no one was seriously hurt or killed in the fire .

As a member of the Voltigeurs, the news threw me to the floor... The military compound was an incredible working place and one of the most beautiful building of the city. I just came back from the site and the guys saved the colors... A big hooah to Sgt. Gagnon, Cpt. Déry and Maj. Bedard for the bravery and presence of mind. They say they heard a kind of explosion just before the fire started... The roof and ceiling of the drill hall were under repairs (wich were, ironically, mostly finished), some worker probably left something over there that caught on fire.

As for the "activist" option, it is not my job to rule it out, but it is very unlikely. The compound is located in the downtown of quebec, in a very crowded area, it would be very difficult to do something big without being seen. Also, it is permanently locked, and from the outside, all you can get in contact with is stone walls and copper roof, not the best material to start a fire.

The drill hall and central portion of the building is mostly destroyed, but firemen managed to mostly keep the fire out of the west wing (museum) and the east wing (officers and ncos messes, hq etc.).

Wouldn't want to be in the boots of the commander this morning, as he have to transform himself into telephone man to find a backup solution. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger ! I hope we can get back on our feet from this one quickly.

Force A Superbe, Mercy A Foible.

BernDawg said:
They won't be able to truly asses the damage for days maybe weeks yet but if the stone and mortar wasn't too badly heat stressed it should be salvageable.

Quebec City's newly-elected and very dynamic mayor just announced from his tour in France that with the facade of the building relatively intact, he is hoping the organizers of Quebec City's 400th anniversary can rapidly put together a project in the style of the artist Christo, who amazingly wraps up buildings, monuments, etc.   Recall that Quebec City's Manege Militaire is the focal point of the annual military music festival.  He has already been in contact with the federal minister of heritage (who's riding just happens to be in Quebec City) lobbying for a rapid restoration of the building.

The Voltigeurs have a great band and I'm not sure if their instruments were lost in the fire, but a band spokesperson just reported on the radio that a concert to be held in the city this evening is still a go.  They often work in hand with the band of the R22R.

Douke said:

The drill hall and central portion of the building is mostly destroyed, but firemen managed to mostly keep the fire out of the west wing (museum) and the east wing (officers and ncos messes, hq etc.).

Wouldn't want to be in the boots of the commander this morning, as he have to transform himself into telephone man to find a backup solution. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger ! I hope we can get back on our feet from this one quickly.

Glad to hear that it is possible that some of the historic and priceless treasures may have escaped a fiery fate.

As to your Regiment -- Look up, look forward, and let your proud traditions continue.

The Voltigeurs have a great band and I'm not sure if their instruments were lost in the fire, but a band spokesperson just reported on the radio that a concert to be held in the city this evening is still a go.  They often work in hand with the band of the R22R.

I am not a member of the music, but from what I understand they keep their instruments at home. They are a great band and always make us proud. They show the regiments spirit of getting back on our feet quickly by continuiing their normal duties. Great job guys!

It's heart-warming to hear about the band  :salute: and that the powers that be are already pushing for reconstruction & preservation of the building and site.

DeweyDecimalSystem said:
Some pictures that give an idea of the destruction can be found here

Some spectacular and dramatic shots here that leave no doubt as to the severity, intensity and magnitude of this fire.

Also, kudos to the photographer for getting a couple of aerial shots.

Back