• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Compound of Québec, Armoury Lost to Fire

Statement Link

Statement
Fire Destroys the Manège Militaire in Québec City
April 5, 2008

The Honourable Josée Verner, Minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official Languages, and Minister responsible for the Québec region, and the Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, issued the following statement today in response to the destruction by fire of Québec City’s historic drill hall, the Manège Militaire.

“I was stunned to hear the sad news that the Manège Militaire in Québec City was destroyed by fire during the evening of April 4, 2008,” said Minister Verner.

“Built in 1887, the Manège Militaire is one of the most important historic buildings in Québec City. It was declared a national historic site in 1986. The Manège Militaire housed the oldest French-speaking unit of the Canadian army, the Voltigeurs de Québec.”

Ministers Verner and MacKay noted that they were saddened by the news which affected one of the important elements of Québec City’s history. They also wished to underline the remarkable efforts of the brave firefighters who tackled the fire.

“We are greatly relieved that no one was injured in the blaze,” added Minister MacKay. “We will ensure that the Voltigeurs are able to continue their activities and remain one of the jewels in the history of the French-Canadian military.”

“This building, nationally recognized for its architectural importance, is of inestimable historic value to the heritage of Québec City.”

-30-

Information:

Jean-Nicolas Marchand

Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official Languages

418 648-2430

Dan Dugas

Director of Communications Office of the Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency

613 996-3100

Mad Medic said:
Soldiers from the Voltigeurs managed to save their colours from destruction – bravo!!!

Mike

The Mad Medic
Haven't a clue of what colours you would be talking about.  les Voltigeurs de Québec is a Rifle Regiment and does not have a stand of colours.  There exists a number of camp flags used by the regiment in their bivouacs but, no colours.

Mad Medic said:
The Voltigeurs have a great band and I'm not sure if their instruments were lost in the fire, but a band spokesperson just reported on the radio that a concert to be held in the city this evening is still a go.  They often work in hand with the band of the R22R.
Most reserve musicians have their own instruments and do not depend on the CF.  With a musical conservatory at Laval University, positions on the Voltigeur band are highly sought after and auditions are required to select the cream of the crop.  Other than the drums, most musicians will use their own.... except in inclement weather when the rain could damage the finish...

I should point out that, while the Voltigeurs were located in this armoury, they were not alone.  The 10th Field Squadron of 35 CER were also located on the same premisses.  35 CER RHQ moved out something like 2 years ago

geo said:
Haven't a clue of what colours you would be talking about.  les Voltigeurs de Québec is a Rifle Regiment and does not have a stand of colours.  There exists a number of camp flags used by the regiment in their bivouacs but, no colours.

They rescued a flag that was given to the Voltigeurs by the Société St-Jean-Baptiste in 1885.

geo said:
I should point out that, while the Voltigeurs were located in this armoury, they were not alone. 

And an Air Cadet Squadron (629 Kiwanis-Sillery)

a SSJB donated flag is not a stand of colours.
SSJB would never provide a Queen's or King's colour

geo said:
a SSJB donated flag is not a stand of colours.
SSJB would never provide a Queen's or King's colour

I think we all realize that he was not to actual "colours" --- but the significance of that flag to them is great, as is it's historical significance to militaria and to the Unit. They saved it. Good, actually awesome, on them.

It's in one's heart -- go for the flags ... go for the colours.

Don't get mewrong, I think that any heirloom recovered from the blazing building is miraculous.  The 130+ year iold wood ceiling in the drill hall was gorgeous.... and probably an accident looking for a place to happen.  With a little bit of luck and a lot of help, I hope to visit the rebuilt armoury before I retire.

I would suggest that those old armouries should be inspected for fire suppression systems... lest this happen again in some other part of the country.

Does any one know if the Royal Rifles memorial plaque was salvaged? 
Sandy (Ex SherH whose Guidon has the RR distinction)

They are picking thru the building today.  It'll take a while to figure out what is lost.....
where was the plaque located in the building?

Note that we've been in contact with the BOR staff.  Pers records are apparently intact - though a little soggy.

More than 80% of museum artifacts were recovered... till things can be dried out properly, things are stored in a reefer truck.

Geo, what is refered as regimental colours is the drums of the "drums and bugles". Since rifle regiments were not carrying any flag, their battle honors were carried on their head dress at first, then on their drums. In 1981 the drums were consacrated and are since then considered as the regiment's colors, even if it is unorthodox (we are the only regiment in the world whose colors are on their drums). The flag was saved when the fire started to be under control, with the help of firemen they deployed a ladder to be able to reach the mast wich was located over the front doors of the compund. They also saved a flag the Voltigeurs were carying around as bivouac flag at the Boers War from the museum.

I would suggest that those old armouries should be inspected for fire suppression systems... lest this happen again in some other part of the country.

The fire sprinkler was turned off for repairs for a few day after reparations on the roof structure and wooden ceiling... Murphy's law at it's finest.

The 10th Field Squadron of 35 CER were also located on the same premisses.

The 10th Field Squadron, if I am not mistaken, is now named 35th Regiment, as they received the regiment's status. They are in the process of moving out of the military compound for their own installations, wich are currently under construction (their HQ is already moved out, only the garrison and QM are left).

Douke

Mad Medic said:
Ironically, workmen were supposed to install a fire sprinkler system as part of armoury renovations!!

No sprinklers?

one would have thought this would have been done years ago, considering the historic value and the priceless items the building housed.

Truly a tragedy with a loss of such items.

Wes...
yes, the sprinkler system is / was tehre all right.... it was just down for repairs at the time the fire happened.
all in all, the dedication of unit members and firemen who scrambled up ladders and thru windows to recover priceless heirlooms saved the day.... thank god no one got hurt... we owe the city's fire service a huge tip of the hand for their masterful work.... Have been told that the unit's orderly room was spared 99% of the smoke and water damage... who would have thought.

Douke,
Yes, was talking to the nice folks at 35 Bde HQ today.... in fact, several times.
Immediate plans are to relocate the units to either the Citadelle, St Malo Armoury (55 Fd Amb / 55 Svc Bn) or some other suitable building around Quebec City... might as well make ourselves comfy... it'll be a while.

geo said:
I should point out that, while the Voltigeurs were located in this armoury, they were not alone.  The 10th Field Squadron of 35 CER were also located on the same premisses.  35 CER RHQ moved out something like 2 years ago

Douke said:
Geo, what is refered as regimental colours is the drums of the "drums and bugles". Since rifle regiments were not carrying any flag, their battle honors were carried on their head dress at first, then on their drums. In 1981 the drums were consacrated and are since then considered as the regiment's colors, even if it is unorthodox (we are the only regiment in the world whose colors are on their drums). The flag was saved when the fire started to be under control, with the help of firemen they deployed a ladder to be able to reach the mast wich was located over the front doors of the compund. They also saved a flag the Voltigeurs were carying around as bivouac flag at the Boers War from the museum.

The fire sprinkler was turned off for repairs for a few day after reparations on the roof structure and wooden ceiling... Murphy's law at it's finest.

The 10th Field Squadron, if I am not mistaken, is now named 35th Regiment, as they received the regiment's status. They are in the process of moving out of the military compound for their own installations, wich are currently under construction (their HQ is already moved out, only the garrison and QM are left).

Douke

Douke,

what you are calling the 35th Regiment is 35 Combat Engineer Regiment which was 10 Engineer Squadron and formally 10 Field Engineer Squadron

Exactly, sorry for scraping the name, my english translations are so-so and my knowledge of recent sapper happenings too...

As for relocalisations possibilities, I think it pretty much sums it up. The only other places I could see is some empty building in Valcartier, if there are any left with the right facilities, or the navy reserve facility at the Pointe-a-Carcy. But both of them seems less than ideal... The citadel looks mostly empty these days and would in my opinion be the best place to transfer to, but St-Malo's armoury is pretty close with very recent installations and possibilities for closer cooperations with reserve service units. My only point is that it is already rather crowded... Not like I have my word to say in that kind of matters anyway  :p

Douke

10 Field Squdron is one of the sub-units of 35 CER.  (Unfortunately, I don't know the number of the squadrons that have been assigned to that unit.  They have reactivated a Sqn number from an Engineer unit that used to operate in the Thetford Mines area.... so it isn't 11, 12 or 13 ..... 

Douke said:
Exactly, sorry for scraping the name, my english translations are so-so and my knowledge of recent sapper happenings too...

As for relocalisations possibilities, I think it pretty much sums it up. The only other places I could see is some empty building in Valcartier, if there are any left with the right facilities, or the navy reserve facility at the Pointe-a-Carcy. But both of them seems less than ideal... The citadel looks mostly empty these days and would in my opinion be the best place to transfer to, but St-Malo's armoury is pretty close with very recent installations and possibilities for closer cooperations with reserve service units. My only point is that it is already rather crowded... Not like I have my word to say in that kind of matters anyway  :p

Douke

Douke,

you could have also left it as 35 RGC  ;) most people here would know what it stood for.

Further to the plaque in memorial to the Royal Rifles; the brass was in the drill hall up high, central on an end wall..if I remember correctly.
Thanks--Sandy

Then I can assure you it has been destroyed in the fire... unfortunatly there is nothing left in that partof the building, that is presumably where the fire started.

Douke

... am certain that the museum would have photographs of the plaque and, when they rebuild - we can only hope that they go to the trouble of reproducing the plaque in honour of the RRC and their contribution to the defense of Canada AND Hong Kong.

Back