• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Compound of Québec, Armoury Lost to Fire

Douke said:
Granted I would not win a lawsuit with that kind of proof, but it is at least indicative that it is highly present in regiment's lore even at the highest level. I would be surprised ( and shocked  :eek: ) if it was not true.

And therein lies the real problem we are discussing.  In many regiments, including my own, instances of long favoured regimental lore are upheld to the point where some lose the understanding that regimental lore and regimental fact may be different.  I certainly see nothing wrong with the unit treating its drums as Colours, but saying they are Colours is a very different thing.  Sometimes regimental education and understanding have to be reinvented to promote a healthy understanding of regimental lore and its place in a regiment's history.

I will concede this possibility and the fact that I am unable to discuss this further with my current knowledge.

In the light of the current subject though, the simple fact that we consider those drums our colours and treat them as such is the only thing wich matters to evaluate the importance of the saving.

Douke

well said Douke.

The drums / colours were saved from the ravages of the fire.

While people fight over who will build / fix the armoury, for how much and over how long.... the Voltigeurs will continue to parade in the streets of Quebec City, their bayonnets fixed and the drums beating.

Yrys, to add to your post quoting the Voltigeur's website:
Les tambours actuels des Voltigeurs de Québec ont fait leur apparition au Manège militaire à l’été 1980. Il semblerait que le coût de ces instruments avait de quoi effrayer le plus impassible des commandants mais que le colonel honoraire de l’époque, monsieur Claude Pratte su apaiser toutes les craintes. Bénis le 29 août 1981 par le cardinal Maurice Roy, ces tambours furent remis au Régiment par le Gouverneur-général du Canada alors en fonction, l’honorable Edward Schreyer. C'est à ce moment que les tambours furent consacrés.
I can read enough to understand it, but not to translate it.

The drums currently being used by the Voltigeurs de Québec made their first appearance in the summer of 1980.  It would appear that the cost of acquisition for these instruments was enough to scare the most unflappable of CO but the Honorary Colonel at the time, Mr Claude Pratte managed to calm his fears.  Blessed(?) on 29 august 1981 by Cardinal Maurice Roy, these drums were presented to the Regiment by the then serving Governor General of Canada, the Honorable Edward Schreyer.  It was at this time that the drums were consecrated.

translation of your passage PO2Finclk

I imagine the term "Voltigeur" lost a bit of its original, traditional French meaning when applied to the British regimental system. Originally, Voltigeurs were an elite company drawn from the chasseur (fusilier) companies and marched to the left of the grendadier (or carabinier in light infantry) company in a battalion. While in the British system, the Rifles were raised as the 95th and 60th Regiments.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suppose that the Voltigeurs as an organic part of a line (or light) French infantry regiment, marched under Colours while British Rifle Regiments had their own tradition of not using Colours (among other traditions).

Edited for spelling.

Incendie au Manège militaire

Question today on  www.tva.canoe.com :

"Devrait-on reconstruire le Manège militaire de Québec?"  ("Does the military compound at Québec should be reconstruct ? " )

Votes are finish, final results :

"Oui :  70%
  Non:  30%

Nombre de votes: 6284  "

Very pro-military, but probably reflects support for preserving their military heritage, not necessarily support for current operations...

I for one hope they rebuild the  magnificent armouries and it's nice to see that 70% of the people surveyed want it rebuilt. As well , it's good that 80% of the items in the regimental museum were saved.

Morre than 80%... closer to 90% if I believe the reports coming in from 35CBG

Something new related to this story.

Regiment sues Defence over armoury fire
Canwest News Service Friday, October 3, 2008 Published: 2:30 am

QUEBEC - Members of the country's oldest French-Canadian infantry regiment have launched a lawsuit against their employer, the Department of National Defence, seeking $250,000 in damages following the fire that destroyed the landmark Quebec City armoury last April.

Les Voltigeurs de Quebec regiment and its insurance company, Aviva, blame DND for failing "to secure the armoury that, according to public information, was not equipped with a fire-protection system at the time of the blaze."

The historic drill hall, built in 1887, was burned to the ground on April 5, with only the brick facade and two towers still standing, facing the Quebec national assembly.

The lawsuit also alleges that DND "knowingly wiped out the fire scene" before the insurance company expert could examine it.

Can a Unit sue DND?  It just seems a bit strange.

Possibly driven by the insurance company?  Heaven forbid they should actually pay out a claim without a fight.

Units are requried by regulation to seek insurance for their non-pubic Property.  The Voltigeurs got that coverage for their NPP.  The insurance company is now suing DND on behalf of their policy holder, alleging that DND did not provide access to the site to permit them to ascertain the cause of the fire.

If it is proven that DND as the proeprty owner was negligent in their precautions, the insurance company would have sound grounds to seek money from the Crown.  "Act of God" is one thing covered by insurance; "Foreseeable consequence of poor maintenance and deliberate ignoring of fire and safety regulations" isn't - those responsbiel are sued so the company can recover their funds.

If you read the fine print in an insurance policy, you may find a clause that authorizes the company to take legal action in your name.  I don't attach any more meaning to the issue than that, in the absence of more detailed facts regarding how and why the action was initiated.

Update: The Manège Militaire in Quebec City was referenced in the 2009 Federal Budget.

From the budget document:

Manège Militaire in Québec City

In April 2008, a fire destroyed the Manège Militaire in Québec City. Built in 1887, the drill hall is one of the most important national historic sites in Québec City. Through a consultation process, the Government will seek the input of interested stakeholders on project ideas to ensure its continued contribution to this country’s remarkable landscape. Budget 2009 provides $2 million to Public Works and Government Services Canada to develop a plan for the future of this historic site.

Edit: I'm not sure what this means.  But it sounds like reconstructing the drill hall is just an 'option.'

From what it appears...
The Voltigeurs are now set up (up the street) in La Citadelle
Given that the Reg force unit was pert much always working out of Valcartier, the Voltigeurs can probably continue living out of their new diggs... thus, answer the following question: If rebuilt, what would this new / old armoury be used for ???

I can see the building being rebuilt & handed over to the National Parks commission (Plains of Abraham & all)
I can see the building being rebuilt & handed over to the Provincial Government (Legislative Assembly building next door)
I can see the building being rebuilt & handed over to the City of Quebec .. for a multitude of activities... take your pick

Just as long as they resurrect her.  I was by there last week on a driver's course.  What a bloody shame I love old buildings like that.  It's a heartbreaking sight.

Back