• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Discounts List

Most sports stores (running room, sport chek etc.) will give military discounts, however I've noticed that there are more discounts floating around the closer you are to a base.

Like sayyy Eden's in Edmonton for example where the cover is free.

CEEBEE501 said:
:rofl:
SL: "MEDIC!" "IM HIT IM HIT"
Medic : "Where?!"
SL: " I Dont know where!!"
Medic: "OH GOD THIS IS BAD!!" "looks like I will need 2 wet wipes for this"

i meant people from the army or from a police station get a discount, not that YOU get a discount if your shot or something lol.

Hi fellow countrymen (Newfoundlanders) and potential tourist.

I just got off the phone with Marine Atlantic from booking my trip.

Couple things to note:

-Not all crossings have the military discount.I.E the 17 may has one but the 18th none(example).Only certain vessels during certain times carry the discount.

-The crossings which have the discount only has a certain amount of spots available.I.E: If the one crossing on the 18 that has the discount ten positions (which the booking agent said was the average per)

-July is pretty well booked solid for the Military discount.So If your waiting on your leave pass prior to booking,you may not get the discount as all the available military positions will be filled.She said most were at this time.

Basically there are only on average 10 spots on a ship with the discount.Not all of the crossings have the discount.So come leave time it would mean you paying the normal rate to get across.

Overall after spending 207 dollars for a crossing one way,I saved (or sove) 84 dollars.

Something I was unaware of.Thought I would pass sit on.

X-mo-1979 said:
Hi fellow countrymen (Newfoundlanders) and potential tourist.

I just got off the phone with Marine Atlantic from booking my trip.

Couple things to note:

-Not all crossings have the military discount.I.E the 17 may has one but the 18th none(example).Only certain vessels during certain times carry the discount.

-The crossings which have the discount only has a certain amount of spots available.I.E: If the one crossing on the 18 that has the discount ten positions (which the booking agent said was the average per)

-July is pretty well booked solid for the Military discount.So If your waiting on your leave pass prior to booking,you may not get the discount as all the available military positions will be filled.She said most were at this time.

Basically there are only on average 10 spots on a ship with the discount.Not all of the crossings have the discount.So come leave time it would mean you paying the normal rate to get across.

Something I was unaware of.Thought I would pass sit on.

Thanks X-mo-1979 I was unaware of the limited places (since I left on the 1st of May I had no worries). Guess I should start to look at what is avail for September then.

NFLD Sapper said:
Thanks X-mo-1979 I was unaware of the limited places (since I left on the 1st of May I had no worries). Guess I should start to look at what is avail for September then.

No problem bro
Honestly I don't think anyone was aware.Who I feel bad for is my guys who really can't book yet.Although we have a "summer leave block plan" it's hard to book when some taskings yet to come out will run into that timeframe.

As well something not directly related to the military apperication deal but relivant.
You now have to pay full and book a reservation.There is no more stand-by.And unlike in the past where you booked with a 25 dollar deposit,you now pay full.

Hope this helps a few people get the few spots Marine Atlantic are actually offering.

IMHO I think Marine Atlantic's "discount" is not really worth it. I saved $29 on a oneway ticket, basicaly the price for having my body on the boat.

NFLD Sapper said:
IMHO I think Marine Atlantic's "discount" is not really worth it. I saved $29 on a oneway ticket, basicaly the price for having my body on the boat.
I agree.
However here is my outlook on the whole discount.

There is no better business than word of mouth.This "deal" was sent out with no small print of availability,certain crossings with 10 per trip.What did marine Atlantic get by announcing free personal ticket port aux basque/half price Argentia?They had a whole pile of regular/reserve,and Vets booking.Problem being now anyone booking for July will most likely not get near the dates they want to cross,making them pay the normal fee's on one or both crossings. Seems like a free country wide advertisement/ boost in their business for: 10 positions every couple crossings.Not as they were advertising as military per did not pay for personal ticket just their vehicle.

When I have two weeks off I want to spend time with my family period.And if the positions were filled on the day I needed to travel I would have ended up paying the full rate,as I only see my family 2 weeks a year.thus a boost in their overall business.Not to mention families making plans,not knowing of the stipulations.Making kayak trip bookings in Newfoundland who must meet their timings on the Newfoundland side.

There is no deal with Marine Atlantic really.It was a gimic IMHO.

True but then again IT being an extension of the TCH I still fail to see why we have to pay for said service....... But that is for a different thread.

NFLD Sapper said:
True but then again IT being an extension of the TCH I still fail to see why we have to pay for said service....... But that is for a different thread.

Agreed ;D
We could discuss terms of union etc for quite a bit.However I just wanted to get the actual "DEAL" out to the rest of the CF.

. . . . This "deal" was sent out with no small print of availability,certain crossings with 10 per trip.
.  . . .

There is no deal with Marine Atlantic really.It was a gimic IMHO.

Of course it's a gimmick.  Despite Marine Atlantic's corporate nature, it is still a business and will operate like most other businesses - keeping a eye on the bottom line.  While VIA Rail's original offer last year (and this year) may have seemed more generous, it was based on a very sound business idea with the intent to increase passenger load (and thus revenue) during a period when ridership traditionally decreases but operating costs (for a basic schedule) don't.  If these new passengers are converted into train users because of the experience there is an added benefit.  Marine Atlantic is probably in the opposite situation.  Their passenger load likely increases during the same time period (note the Argentia run) and they do not have any competition for surface travellers (especially with cars) who wish to go to/from the Rock.  Probably the sole reason that they are making the offer is for image - VIA Rail did it so they had to do it to avoid complaints.  Expressions of gratitude for military pers was simply a marketing ploy.

As for Marine Atlantic not stating that there are only a few openings available, they probably feel that it is covered by this language in their news release.

NFLD Sapper said:
Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009

April 21, 2009
. . . .
The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 will available to qualified individuals from May 1 to October 31, 2009, although with limited crossings being available for this promotion during the busiest periods. 
. . . .

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2009 will be in effect for travel that occurs from May 1 until October 31, 2009.  Some travel restrictions will apply.  Offer is subject to availability.

That discussion was played out last year in Ferry unfair: MP rails against feds over Forces exclusion in which I posted this.

Blackadder1916 said:
Quote from: BinRat55 on April 21, 2008, 17:00:12
Did you know that the ferry service was at one time free? As it was built as an extension of the TCH, it was considered public roads across the Atlantic...

That is, perhaps, a myth.  The ferries between Port Aux Basques and North Sydney had been a service of the Newfoundland Railway (and of the Reid Newfoundland Company prior to its nationalization) before Canada joined Newfoundland in 1949.  The continuation and maintenance of that service by the Canadian government was one of the  terms of the Newfoundland Act.  Reference is made in that section as to the rate that would apply to traffic on that route.  It is unlikely that passengers ever had free passage on the ferries, I know I had to pay 37 years ago and I recall my grandfather (a former employee of the Reid Newfoundland Railway) speaking about paying a "special" fare because he had worked for them.

Newfoundland Act
32. (1) Canada will maintain in accordance with the traffic offering a freight and passenger steamship service between North Sydney and Port aux Basques, which, on completion of a motor highway between Corner Brook and Port aux Basques, will include suitable provision for the carriage of motor vehicles:

(2) For the purpose of railway rate regulation the Island of Newfoundland will be included in the Maritime region of Canada, and through traffic moving between North Sydney and Port aux Basques will be treated as all rail traffic.

(3) All legislation of the Parliament of Canada providing for special rates on traffic moving within, into, or out of, the Maritime region will as far as appropriate, be made applicable to the Island of Newfoundland.

Either way I know I never heard talk of 10 pers every couple trips across only, for the discounted travel.I hope by posting here I can save someone a few dollars or a argument with Marine Atlantic ticketing.

Either way my one way ticket across cost 207 dollars with the military discount.And that's the short ferry ride,I then have 10 hours of driving.

The joys of Island living I guess!

As my wife says....8 more trips!
Then my transcanada will consist of what exists on the Avalon. ;)

As for the terms of union,who cares.I'll save that for the political discussions in the twine loft.Where all worldly problems are solved.

Further to mo's last....

From Marine Atlantic's site:

These crossings not available for booking are

North Sydney to Port aux Basques – Crossings with departures times between 2200 hours and 0600 hours from July 12 to August 2, 2009

Port aux Basques to North Sydney – Crossings with departures times between 2200 hours and 0600 hours from July 31 to August 23, 2009

North Sydney to Argentia – Crossings on July 17, 24, and 31, 2009
Argentia to North Sydney – Crossings on July 1, 8, and 15, 2009

Now this is horse shit by Marine Atlantic (wrt the Canadian Forces fare)......

Byrne Slams Feds on Canadian Soldiers Policy for Marine Atlantic
June 21, 2009

A Newfoundland MP is slamming the federal government for it's Canadian Forces Appreciation Fee offered to travellers on Marine Atlantic. The program allows discounted travel for Canadian Forces personnel, veterans and their immediate travelling companions. Gerry Byrne says he had to fight to have Marine Atlantic to extend the same benefits to soldiers on Marine Atlantic that were already being offered on VIA Rail. Byrne says he's disappointed to learn of restrictions placed on those forces personnel. Only a maximum of 8 soldiers or veterans are allowed on any one crossing.

JAWS228 said:
Most sports stores (running room...

Yea I know the Running room on bank street in the glebe in Ottawa gives a discount to military personnel. 

Via Rail is giving:

If you have a valid DND photo identification card, Dependent ID Card, or Canex “Club XTra” card*, when you book at the adult regular fare, you will always:
Save 10% in Economy class
Save 5% in Business class
Save 5% in sleeper class

lucasbutts said:
Deos the military id card have your photo? And do you get it right away?

Yes, and no. Yes it has your picture, and no, you get it about week 9 or so on your basic. Depends on how fast ident section is, and what your course staff is like. No idea what ResF is like.

I guess you can add my name to the "unappreciated" list. I attempted to book 3 seperate crossings at 3 seperate times (well in advance too) and I got "I'm sorry sir, the appreciation fare is not available on this crossing - we have filled our quota. But will you be wanting a cabin?"

Our quota. Special. I wrote a letter - like it would make a difference - but I felt a bit better. I wonder if they have a quota for complaints?  ???

Apparently Future Shop in Dartmouth no longer offers the discount. I walked in and was going to get around 200 bucks worth of stuff, was told they don't offer the discount anymore. I ended up leaving my stuff there and getting it at Best Buys. Screw them, they don't suport the CF, then they won't see my dollars.

Yes I am aware that Best Buys and Future Shop are owned by the same company. ;)

Back