• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military pay for school tuition

Doneric

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering how the process of the military works in regards to paying the tuition for uni/college. Do they pay automatically once you start or do you have to wait a year and contact them in order for them to do so? Also do you need to be already registered and working within the military for them to do that or can you be in the process of doing so since it takes so long to be done with the application? I start post secondary in September and I don't know if my application process will be done by then since I get really slow updates.

Thanks.

You need to talk to a Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre. You need to apply for the military and to apply to a subsidized education plan. You need to be accepted. And you don’t necessarily get to go to whichever school and program you want; it must align with the military’s needs and priorities.

You may be too late for this coming fall- but it’s not unusual for members to join CAF already partway into university, and have some or all of their remaining studies subsidized.

You would owe military service afterwards. On the plus side, any years you’re in school while being in the military also count as pensionable years. It’s not a bad deal at all.

Thanks for your reply,

I already started the application back in November of 2021. I went for the air force and already did all the tests that they required and the interview (medical and career). I did the steps required for the paid education and qualified for ROTP. I haven't really heard anything back for some time since I finished al that. But I was wondering if just in case I don't get into RMC and have to go to another school, how it would work. If I have to call my recruitment center to get more information like you said, then I will.

Thanks for your reply,

I already started the application back in November of 2021. I went for the air force and already did all the tests that they required and the interview (medical and career). I did the steps required for the paid education and qualified for ROTP. I haven't really heard anything back for some time since I finished al that. But I was wondering if just in case I don't get into RMC and have to go to another school, how it would work. If I have to call my recruitment center to get more information like you said, then I will.
are you worried that you won't get into RMC for this fall?

Not really. If I don't get accepted that's ok but I want to know how the military pays for tuition for a civilian school. Is it automatic or do I pay and then get reimbursed? Or is it some other way?

Not really. If I don't get accepted that's ok but I want to know how the military pays for tuition for school. Is it automatic or do I pay and then get reimbursed? Or is it some other way?
Are you asking about how RMC will treat the tuition? If that’s what your asking? they just automatically take of all tuition,textbook,residence,food off your salaray and you get the rest. It’s about 1k a month and we get paid bi-weekyly, so you’ll get 500 every 2 weeks. And if you’re worried about not making RMC, don’t worry cause there are still spots. Even if you don’t make it maybe you can apply again because that’s what I did. I didn’t make RMC first try so I went to a civi U and then went to RMC

Are you asking about how RMC will treat the tuition? If that’s what your asking? they just automatically take of all tuition,textbook,residence,food off your salaray and you get the rest. It’s about 1k a month and we get paid bi-weekyly, so you’ll get 500 every 2 weeks. And if you’re worried about not making RMC, don’t worry cause there are still spots. Even if you don’t make it maybe you can apply again because that’s what I did. I didn’t make RMC first try so I went to a civi U and then went to RMC
No. At RMC, the military pays your books and tuition automatically, and gives you a salary ($2,301 to $2,440 per month) and deducts taxes, EI, CPP, Pension Contributions, rations and quarters. You end up with approximately $500 twice a month.

Back