• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Protein Intake Related to Strength and Fat Mass Independent of ...

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
Military Protein Intake Related to Strength and Fat Mass Independent of Energy Intake

Introduction

Kinetic military units operate in austere training environments and deprivation not commonly experienced by competitive athletes. Nutritional strategies to protect against decrements in performance and potential injury risk may differ for these two groups. A cross sectional analysis was conducted to determine energy and macronutrient characteristics associated with performance metrics.

Materials and Methods

78 male subjects (age: 28.4 ± 6.0 years, height: 178.3 ± 6.7 cm, mass: 84.3 ± 9.4 kg, 8.5 ± 5.8 years of service) assigned to Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command completed a 1-day performance assessment. Body mass, lean body mass, fat mass (FM), aerobic capacity (VO2max), lactate inflection point (LT), anaerobic power, anaerobic capacity, knee flexion strength, knee extension strength, peak knee flexion strength, and peak knee extension strength outcome values were recorded. Dietary intake was collected using automated self-administered 24-hour dietary recall (ASA24). Performance assessment scores were compared with macronutrient intake and controlled for energy intake using analysis of covariance.

Results

Differences in knee flexion strength, knee extension strength, peak knee flexion strength, and peak knee extension strength were significant across low (LPRO), medium (MPRO), and high (HPRO) protein intake groups (p < 0.05) with LPRO performance metrics significantly lower than both MPRO and HPRO and MPRO significantly lower than HPRO. FM was significantly higher in LPRO than MPRO or HPRO (p < 0.05). Low carbohydrate intake (LCHO) was associated with greater body mass and FM compared with high (HCHO) (p < 0.05). There was no association between fat intake and any variable.

Conclusions

Increases in protein intake may have beneficial performance effects independent of total energy intake, while moderate increases in carbohydrate intake may not be sufficient to enhance physical performance in a special operations population.

https://academic.oup.com/milmed/article-abstract/doi/10.1093/milmed/usaa151/5868226

I read the entire article and liked it overall. At the end, there is a section called "Limitations" and the authors state that this article was a quick way to innitiate a line of research. I agree with that because the troops assessed did not have their diets controlled for an extended period of time. They were told to mention what they ingested 24hrs prior to test day and that is not enough to explain changes in strength, endurance, body mass or anything else.

Again, this is definitely the type of research that makes soldiers healthier and better able to do their jobs. Congratulations to everyone involved and I hope more studies, with more control and data points, are made.

306FL306 said:
I read the entire article and liked it overall. At the end, there is a section called "Limitations" and the authors state that this article was a quick way to innitiate a line of research. I agree with that because the troops assessed did not have their diets controlled for an extended period of time. They were told to mention what they ingested 24hrs prior to test day and that is not enough to explain changes in strength, endurance, body mass or anything else.

Again, this is definitely the type of research that makes soldiers healthier and better able to do their jobs. Congratulations to everyone involved and I hope more studies, with more control and data points, are made.
What did the Researcher's use for operationalizing the variables? What were the values for low protein intake to high?

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

Back