• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Relocation / Posting Policy-Moves [MERGED]

Quote from: CombatMacguyver on May 28, 2015, 08:31:27
Why should the LCol be punished for his success to make it easier for the Cpl?  I say this as a lowly Cpl...

The question is why do we pay different amounts based on rank?  Is the disruption to a Col greater than the disruption to a Cpl? Or is this a relic of the dates when truly, RHIP?

I note that Reservists who are relocated are paid a flat rate regardless of rank.  Why is that model acceptable for one group and not others?  Alternatively, public servants relocated at crown expense recieve two weeks salary. Why is one group of personnel paid by the Crown receiving 1/12 of their annual pay when moved, while another receives 1/26?

"Because we've always done it that way" is not, in and of itself, a valid reason.

*** Of course both the PS and the Reservist only move if and when they want to. Both can stay where they are and never arrive at work one morning to a transfer notice sending them (and possibly a spouse, kids, elderly dependants) to a new and exotic location.  The PS and Reservist have a lot of control over what career changes they make and input from their family on whether to move or not. If they want the larger allowance they can always apply and if lucky put on a uniform.

If posted, will the CF pay for large item disposal if I cannot bring the items into my new residence? I have a strong feeling I am going to be posted this year and if I am, I plan on moving into a one bedroom apartment and I'm not going to be able to bring alot of stuff (ie my entire second bedroom set) and if I am unsuccessful at selling and/or giving it away I would want to basically throw it out.

The whole relocation policy can be found here:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2009-toc.page

While I have never specifically searched for your case, I doubt it is covered.

You can check the policy, but no, I would not think that would be covered.  Your decision to "downsize" would reconsidered a personal choice, especially since the CF would  have no qualms about moving it for you.  Having said that, I've generally had no issues in selling things like that on-line (e.g. Kajiji).

Back