• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Science Electives during University

BigRed65

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a 19 year old offensive lineman that is signed to an American University for football. My plan post college is to join the CAF, either as a NCO or Officer (both sides look appealing to me). At my University, the US army provides two years worth of military science electives to non-citizens, I plan on taking them so I can learn more about the armed forces. However, with it being American, I wonder how much cross-over there is between the two nations. Would it be a big help for a potential infantry career or would I be better off taking other courses?

Thanks!

The first thought that popped into my mind was (to follow a stereotype) "do you need to take bird courses in order to maintain academic standing?".  And conversely, will these "military science electives" (first two years of an ROTC program?) involve time (practical exercises outside the standard class timings?) that will conflict with practice timings?  And then there is the elephant in the room question.  What if you get injured in your sport and become medically unfit to join the military?  What use would those electives be in having a "saleable" degree?  While you may now be keen to be a soldier after a (hopefully?) successful university sports career, what will life look like in four years?  Will you still want to do it?  Will you be fit?  Would your degree (with those electives) be considered equivalent to a degree from a Canadian university after the independent review made as part of an enrolment application to the CF?

I would make the same recommendation to somebody going to a Canadian university - you will be taught all the things that a soldier needs to know to soldier once you are a soldier.  If you are getting an education, get an education that will be useful regardless of where you think you would like to be employed once you graduate.  Your education is not to just to prepare you for your first job out of school but for the rest of your life.  Military employment does not last forever.  If you have other interests, now is the time to explore them in college.

Blackadder1916 said:
The first thought that popped into my mind was (to follow a stereotype) "do you need to take bird courses in order to maintain academic standing?".  And conversely, will these "military science electives" (first two years of an ROTC program?) involve time (practical exercises outside the standard class timings?) that will conflict with practice timings?  And then there is the elephant in the room question.  What if you get injured in your sport and become medically unfit to join the military?  What use would those electives be in having a "saleable" degree?  While you may now be keen to be a soldier after a (hopefully?) successful university sports career, what will life look like in four years?  Will you still want to do it?  Will you be fit?  Would your degree (with those electives) be considered equivalent to a degree from a Canadian university after the independent review made as part of an enrolment application to the CF?

I would make the same recommendation to somebody going to a Canadian university - you will be taught all the things that a soldier needs to know to soldier once you are a soldier.  If you are getting an education, get an education that will be useful regardless of where you think you would like to be employed once you graduate.  Your education is not to just to prepare you for your first job out of school but for the rest of your life.  Military employment does not last forever.  If you have other interests, now is the time to explore them in college.

Thank you for the response. I really stopped to think about it and figure some stuff out. In terms of academics, I am taking a sales and marketing major with a minor in entrepreneurship. My mentality is that if I am going to University for free and spending my early 20s there, I must learn something useful. I am spending the time there, might as well get a good education too. I will not settle for "basket weaving" courses. I have too much pride to settle for the easy way out. As for the ROTC, there is a conflict with my fall schedule due to the football season; however, the school offers the same courses in the summer (being May - June) that will not interfere with my athletics, however, I do admit some of the PT will be tough since I am training for short powerful bursts and not long 5km runs, I will get through it though. God forbid I get injured, but with my education, I have options if my body is toasted (I'm knocking on wood while I'm typing). With the world still learning how to use social media and my generation, being the first to really grow up with it, I have a plan. Of course, that is assuming my skills and creativity are what people are willing to pay for. As for my dreams changing, it really is a possibility. I acknowledge that I might change as a person, but taking these courses will let me see if it is something I would actually like.

Again, thank you for the response. It actually helped me sort out some logistical issues for college. Have a good week!

Back