• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military to CBSA

Brihard said:
OK, so this will be a bit of a long shot and I don't know if anyone has tried it yet, but the VAC Education and Training Benefit *may* allow you to access some portion of funding to offset living expenses. I'll try to break it down, and what issues will crop up:

You have six years completed full time service, so you're eligible for ETB. That means either up to $40k for a full time post secondary program, or up to $5000 for self improvement. Where CBSA training would fit in is tough to say, and would probably be a head scratcher decision for VAC to make if they would grant it at all. But it would be within the *intent* of the benefit.

Now, you would have to apply for the benefit and complete an education and training plan, showing acceptance to an 'educational institution' for a program of study. This is where Rigaud doesn't fit in particularly well... But it's not a definite 'no'.

The VAC internal policy for ETB states that the benefit is paid for a "period of study" in a "designated educational institution". "Designated educational institution" is defined by Employment and Social Development Canada. Rigaud is not on there. But there are two things in your favour:

First, the VAC policy for ETB states that:
So they are willing to consider institutions not on the list. While Rigaud is not on the list, the RCMP training academy in Regina is. For the purposes of what you're looking at, I cannot think of a closer analogous institution to Rigaud than the RCMP academy. Both are federal training centres for a job in federal law enforcement, both pay a training allowance, and in both cases you are not yet a hired paid employee.

So because RCMP Depot is on the list, that would strengthen an argument to consider Rigaud. If VAC is willing to say 'Yup, Rigaud counts for an education/training institution', then you have an argument to be made that subsidizing your cost of living expenses for your time at Rigaud satisfies the intent of the Education and Training Benefit to assist CAF members with a successful transition to civilian life. It's worth a shot at least- make them look at it, say no, then appeal it and try to get it looked at higher up the chain by someone with the power to say 'it's odd, but it fits- so yes'.

References:
ETB policy at VAC: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2685
Veterans Well Being Regulations: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2006-50/

Genius!! I will definitely give it a shot and post an update! Appreciate the search you did here! Thank you so much!

Goldenpaws said:
Genius!! I will definitely give it a shot and post an update! Appreciate the search you did here! Thank you so much!

It'll be an uphill fight. I think subsidizing Rigaud (or for that matter RCMP depot) would be within the intent of the ETB, but falls outside the neatly pidgeonholed policy definitions. It would be useful to you to find out what you receive from CBSA in terms of any sort of certification or accreditation- I know we have some BSOs here who may be able to enlighten you. Being able to point to it and say 'See, this course of study results in me being certified as a BSO' is just the sort of silly bureaucratic thing that would help your case.

Because you will not have tuition expenses per se, it will be a bit harder, but because you're required to reside at the institution and cannot bring your family to dorms with you, the living expenses you will continue to bear are pretty easily justified.

Hopefully you can get someone at VAC early on who might go to bat for you on this.

A friend of mine had his Ontario Police College fees funded by the ETB plus some living expenses.

JesseWZ said:
A friend of mine had his Ontario Police College fees funded by the ETB plus some living expenses.

Ok, that’s helpful- though OPC has fees that the student pays whereas Rigaud does not. But it’s a useful comparison for intent. OPC is also not on the ESDC approved list, high validates that they will give consideration to other institutions. Do you know if your friend was capped at the $5k short courses funding?

For reference to the discussion,

LetsDoMoreWLess said:
VAC introduces changes to transition benefits

A notable number of new and enhanced programs and services, provided by Veterans Affairs
Canada (VAC), are now operational as of April 1, 2018.

The new Education and Training Benefit (ETB) provides funding for college, university or a technical
education for Veterans who have been honourably-released since April 1, 2006 under the new
Veterans Charter. Veterans with six years of full time service will be eligible for up to $40 000 in
funding and those with at least 12 years of full time service will be eligible for up to $80 000.

Funding is intended to cover the costs of tuition, course materials, and some incidentals and living
expenses. It includes a maximum of $5000, from the total benefit, for short-term courses for personal
development. This could include courses such as small business boot camps or other continuing
education courses. Veterans will have up to 10 years following their release date to use their benefit.
This benefit is not available to members who elect to remain part of the Supplemental Reserve.

The redesigned VAC Career Transition Services program (CTS) will help individuals with their Career
Transition plan, including help with resume and cover letter writing, conducting a job search, and
interview preparation. These services are provided by qualified civilian career counsellors who have
an understanding of military life and culture.

Services are now available to Regular or Reserve Force CAF members who have completed basic
training, as well as eligible Veterans and survivors throughout their lives. Spouses and common-law
partners of Veterans are also eligible for these services until the later of either March 31, 2020 or the
second anniversary of the Veteran’s release date.

Question regarding about $80,000 educational benefit 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/128201.0
OP: "I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the educational benefit introduced by vac."

Questions and answers about the Education and Training Benefit
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/education-training-benefit/etb-faq#q6

Brihard said:
It'll be an uphill fight. I think subsidizing Rigaud (or for that matter RCMP depot) would be within the intent of the ETB, but falls outside the neatly pidgeonholed policy definitions. It would be useful to you to find out what you receive from CBSA in terms of any sort of certification or accreditation- I know we have some BSOs here who may be able to enlighten you. Being able to point to it and say 'See, this course of study results in me being certified as a BSO' is just the sort of silly bureaucratic thing that would help your case.

Graduation from the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) results in you being an armed peace officer.  You will then enter the Officer Induction Development Program (OIDP) for on-job training, mentoring and coaching for a period of up to two years before becoming a full-fledged Border Services Officer (BSO).

Interesting thing about BSOs:  absolutely tremendous powers, itty-bitty jurisdiction (in most cases).

Brihard said:
Ok, that’s helpful- though OPC has fees that the student pays whereas Rigaud does not. But it’s a useful comparison for intent. OPC is also not on the ESDC approved list, high validates that they will give consideration to other institutions. Do you know if your friend was capped at the $5k short courses funding?

My understanding is he was granted the full 11k cost of the course plus some of the leftover for living expenses while at OPC.

Back