• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military veteran charged following incident at Wainwright

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
http://globalnews.ca/news/1133804/military-veteran-arrested-at-wainwright-base-after-alleged-threat/

I'm not sure why global news needs to add the word "veteran" in there. What is it, anyone with over 5 years in uniform is considered a vet?  Oh wait, I DO know why  :nod:

EDMONTON – A former member of the Canadian Forces has been charged. He was arrested on the base in Wainwright, Alberta after allegedly posting a threat on a social media site.
Related Stories

Dennis Charlong  who’s in his 40s, was charged on Friday with the five offences, including: possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition, uttering threats, and possession of property obtained by crime.

- mod edit of title for better fit -

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm not sure why global news needs to add the word "veteran" in there. What is it, anyone with over 5 years in uniform is considered a vet?  Oh wait, I DO know why  :nod:

SO?  What is a Veteran?  Have you been following that topic at all? 

George Wallace said:
SO?  What is a Veteran?  Have you been following that topic at all?

I think we've heard enough "What is a Veteran" stuff. Let's keep to the thread subject shall we?

---Staff---

Bad wording on my part. I wasn't intending to be critical of CF members time in or deployments (what's a veteran debate) but felt that Global was including the word Veteran to further sensationalize the story because it's been in the media so much.

In any case I'm glad they caught this guy before he did anything. It's a good example of why we shouldn't ignore even half-hearted threats.

- You will notice a release stated that he was never deployed out of the country. I think we will see that more often, as the gummint is tired of its opponents beating them over the head with every incident and blaming it all on our fling in what I like to call "The Sandbox Of Sorrow."

- Fact is, in my experience, most of my soldiers getting 'help' didn't have any ribbons on their chests at all. Perhaps the next time someone wants to accuse DND of downloading our problems to the provincial heath care systems, we might cordially point out that a lot of those problems were uploaded to us to start with.

Indeed... as an example, I recall seeing one of our particular problem children (chronic absenteeism, drugs/alcohol offences), receiving a large envelope from VAC just before he released. In summary, he tried to claim his personality disorder was brought about by his 3 years service with nil tours.
And this was not an isolated case.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm not sure why global news needs to add the word "veteran" in there.
Because the CF said he used to be in:
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) charged a former member of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) with five weapon-related and other offences on February 6, 2014, in relation to an incident that occurred at 3rd Canadian Division Support Detachment Wainwright on February 5, 2014 .....
Also ....
A reminder:  Under Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms, "any person charged with an offence has the right .... to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal"

milnews.ca said:
Because//the CF said he used to be in

Yes it would appear I took it out of context. I've since washed my beret by accident (subconsciously giving myself a penance no doubt) so the universe is back in balance.

I wonder what kind of troubles he ran into with his release.

Interesting that NIS laid the charges, rather than the RCMP, because if the member's been released than he would not still be subject to the code of service discipline. I suppose that in theory any peace officer in Canada can lay charges against any offender, but investigating criminal code offences by civilians isn't really supposed to be a core NIS function.

Ostrozac said:
Interesting that NIS laid the charges, rather than the RCMP, because if the member's been released than he would not still be subject to the code of service discipline. I suppose that in theory any peace officer in Canada can lay charges against any offender, but investigating criminal code offences by civilians isn't really supposed to be a core NIS function.

Anyone on DND property is subject to CSD. It was an alleged criminal act on DND property, ergo NIS got involved and ran with it.

PuckChaser said:
Anyone on DND property is subject to CSD. It was an alleged criminal act on DND property, ergo NIS got involved and ran with it.

I'm not seeing that in the NDA. I'm seeing that every reservist on DND property is subject to CSD, but not every civilian on DND property.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/n-5/page-20.html#docCont

QR & O ref:

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-02/chapter-chapitre-102-eng.asp

Ostrozac said:
I'm not seeing that in the NDA. I'm seeing that every reservist on DND property is subject to CSD, but not every civilian on DND property.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/n-5/page-20.html#docCont

Next time you are near a Defence Establishment, please read the Warning Signs:  "Anyone is subject to search......"

George Wallace said:
Next time you are near a Defence Establishment, please read the Warning Signs:  "Anyone is subject to search......"
We have all those signs at every jail in Ontario but I'm not laying the charges should I nail someone......

Bruce Monkhouse said:
We have all those signs at every jail in Ontario but I'm not laying the charges should I nail someone......

Still; the Warning is there, and you could, I am sure, if it were necessary.

I would image there is a difference between civilians and military alike being subject to search on DND property and a civilian falling under the NDA itself.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I would image there is a difference between civilians and military alike being subject to search on DND property and a civilian falling under the NDA itself.

The NDA is a Federal Law, however the ISDR's and DCAARs (annexed to the NDA) are intended for two different types of persons. One is for persons subject to the Code and the other for persons not subject. Both state anyone entering or exiting a Controlled Access Area (Defense Establishment) is subject to search. The Code of Service Discipline and the NDA are two different but similar beasts. The Act states who is subject to the Code, but all persons are subject to the Act.

Ostrozac said:

IIRC, a ret'd mbr is still accountable under the CSD for offences that happened while he/she was serving.

In some of the work I'm doing with vets I've spoken with this guy a few times over the last couple of months. He is released, and there were issues surrounding that. Without going into detail that's not mine to share, he has had some real troubles adjusting. I'm by no means attempting to minimize or justify anything that happened there last week. Knowing the guy a bit, though, there's quite a bit underlying all of this. I hope you guys can take that for what it's worth. He will face the consequences of what has happened. I also hope he gets the help that he badly needs. He's got a family who's having to go through this as well and that we're trying to support. It's a bad situation and a real kick in the nuts for everyone involved.

Back