• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minister Says Military Not Underfunded-Article

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
Same old, same old.
DEFENCE MINISTER REJECTS REPORTS THAT MILITARY IS CRITICALLY UNDERFUNDED
Canada's new defence minister says the country's military has not been
slashed to critical levels, as two studies released this week suggest.
FULL STORY:
http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/06/12/defence_report020612

Defence minister rejects reports that military is underfunded
Last Updated Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:16:52
OTTAWA - Canada's new defence minister says the country's military has not been slashed to critical levels, as two studies released this week suggest.
INDEPTH: Target Terrorism: Canada's Military

A report published by the CD Howe Institute calls Canada a "freeloader" that sponges off its allies and ducks its responsibilities.

Its author, Jack Granatstein, is the chair of the Council for Canadian Security. The long-time critic of the government's military spending says the problem is not new.

"It's a very serious problem on all accounts and it comes about primarily because we haven't funded the forces at an appropriate level for some long time."

Granatstein says military underfunding has left Canada all but undefended.

But Canada's new defence minister rejects that assertion.

"I don't agree with that at all," said John McCallum. "I just came back from NATO and we received high praise from the U.S. defence secretary for our work in Afghanistan, from my U.K. counterpart for our work in Bosnia."

Another study on the Canadian military says Canada should increase co-operation with the U.S. and spend more on its armed forces. But Dan Middlemiss, author of the Institute for Research on Public Policy report, says he doubts the government will listen.

"I don't think that this government takes national security seriously or will increase defence spending in any significant way," said Middlemiss, a Dalhousie University professor.

Opposition politicians agree.

Progressive Conservative MP Elsie Wayne says the minister isn't listening, despite repeated reports.

"I see McCallum is not pushing for it at all," said Wayne. "I knew that would happen. I knew it the minute they put him there."

The Canadian Alliance's defence critic echoes Wayne. Leon Benoit says McCallum is repeating the same answers as former defence minister Art Eggleton, and that leaves him with "very little hope."

But Granatstein says he's not sure that's the case. He says the public wants increased military spending, and that the Liberals care about public opinion.

"A report published by the CD Howe Institute calls Canada a "freeloader" that sponges off its allies and ducks its responsibilities."
From the article above. Wonderful image we have isn‘t it? CD Howe Institute? What the he** does a research institute know about us! What do they do, take their information from the papers?

Put it in this context:

As a democratic nation with a belief that our values should be emulated world wide, we have used the United Nations as our soap box, however, over the past ten years our credibility has diminished.

Since 1991 (I will use the Gulf War as a benchmark) we have been systematically dismantling the military. We have essentially nulified our abilities in NATO, withdrawn or made a mockery of our service to the UN (not by troop performance, but in real abilities and actual responsibilities). This is where our credibility has been lost, the ability to support our convictions with a real presence on the ground.

Most of our allies see what is happening, they know we can no longer hold our own, and in a lot of cases, are no longer willing to give us the benefit of the doubt nor humour us with inclusion. The UK refused to include us in Afganistan, but we begged the US to take us as a security element under their umbrella.

None of our allies doubt the ability of the individual soldier, it is the weekness of the collective that they see and guage us by.

UBIQUE :cdn:

It‘s a shame. With three regular brigades (essentially a division, no?) you would think we would be able to maintain commitments. Hopefully at some point Ottawa will start building again, but I suppose that will take a change in government.

Harry, you put it very well. It‘s a shame that our Government is what makes us look like "freeloaders". Everybody knows the Canadian‘s are excellant Soldiers, Regs and Res.

I always say, as do others, if Ottawa gave us the equipment, we would be one **** of an Army! Even though the Americans I‘ve talked to seem to think our Ilti are "cool". Ummmm, yeahhh!

It has never been the soldiering skills that are lacking.

And for the individuals who like to go off on reservists :mg: , I have indicated several times that I am a proponent of reservists.

My best friend was a reservists before he went reg. Top notch grunt, when he wanted to better himself, he was put down :confused: .

He got out and is now a Dr. Personally, I think our abilities were seeded in the cadet program ;) .

That ought to get a couple BP‘s up.

I had a bunch of reservists who worked for me in Germany, everyone of them did the same job and gave the same amount of drive (if not a little more) than my reg section members.

I have always believed that if you give ANYBODY a chance, especially when they make mistakes-coupled with POSITIVE constructive criticism, they will accomplish whatever you ask of them. If you have set the bar low for anyone and fail to let them reach it, you are the failure.

When I here of someone lambasting the abilities of a subordinate, I am of the mind set that there is something lacking in that persons fibre and leadership qualities. :rage:

Regardless of the rants, rhetoric and retribution of us :cool: verse them :blotto: , gauge not the experience of the individual, but the ability of the leader to teach and nurture.

This has been a Harry moment, :warstory:

UBIQUE :cdn:

So, what colour is the sky in the new MND‘s universe?

He‘s been on the job what - a couple of days, maybe just over a week ... and suddenly he‘s smarter than the committee that spent months preparing their report?

Well, as the sayings go: "a country gets the military it deserves", and the ever-popular "a country will always have an army - theirs, or somebody elses ...". In Canada‘s case, the appointment by the insufferably arrogant Papa Doc Chretien of a mealy-mouthed weasel as MND should have been sufficient warning of things to come ...

Hey Sharpie; The yanks I talked to about the Iltis used the term "cute"... not cool. :rolleyes: They liked the size and silouhette though, with the roof off. They agreed it was good for recon.

Originally posted by Harry:
[qb]If anyone wants an Iltis, I can get you a deal on one.[/qb]
If so, please email me at madorosh@shaw.ca A buddy in the regs in Edmonton is looking for one. Well, we are looking for one for him - I drive a 1949 Jeep and a friend has a US Army Humvee here in Calgary, so we would like to get buddy his own Iltis to join the club. Will look good next to our friend‘s ex US military 5 ton truck.

Spanky, last time in Grailing, some Yanks asked me "Does that thing swim or just look cool?" I said "neither"...they just walked away!

Go to www.iltis.ca to see about ordering your own Iltis. Unfortunately they are the German version. But they are in actual running condition and come pretty much complete. They sell for $12,000 CDN.
The HUMVEE (army version) is not licensed to be civilian driven in the US, is that not true here in Canada?

Are you nuts, who in their right mind would pay $12, 000 for a surplus Iltis. :blotto:

I think my contacts can do a heck of a lot better than that.

Not saying that I would buy one of them. If you find some surplus Canadian Iltis on the market (and NO, the ones at the local Armoury will not do) do let me know. I have been looking all over for one.

Originally posted by Harry:
[qb]If anyone wants an Iltis, I can get you a deal on one.[/qb]
Harry, I am interested, although at the moment, living in the city with one vehicle already, I have parking issues.

How much can one expect to pay?

Auction is in Edmonton on Saturday, between $3500 to $5500 at auction time. After that, price set by the buyer.

Thanks Harry,

Sorta short on the moo-lah right now. Still paying off my truck.

Parson‘s Motors in Middleton NS has two Ilti (one is a lineman‘s varient). They are asking around $4,500 or so. Their Phone # is (902) 825-3455. I am definitely not saying I‘d buy one (lots of rust).

Back