• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MLVW Replacment

I read in a magazine but can't remember what one so you will have to take my word.  But most of the new cab over trucks is just a cab swap.  Meaning the change the unarmoured cab for an up armoured one.  Takes about an hour to do for most trucks.

Hi, Im with the British Army and have been involved with the trialling and now introduction of the MAN vehicles into all 3 Services. Have to say when the Oshkosh was loooked at it seemed that there was a restriction on the x-country weight carrying capability. It seems that it had to be reduced to 7t. Im not sure what you guys are now using or buying but if its not MAN, you may of lost out a bit. I have driven both Oshkosh and MAN vehicles extensively, and have to say for all round capability it has to be MAN. Any questions on the trucks ill gladly answer.

Robbie said:
I read in a magazine but can't remember what one so you will have to take my word.  But most of the new cab over trucks is just a cab swap.  Meaning the change the unarmoured cab for an up armoured one.  Takes about an hour to do for most trucks.

The cost of doing it this way is too much to incorporate. But it depends how many armour trucks you want. Do you want every truck in service to have the armour or only a few? It is easier having a add-on type of armour but can take upto 8hrs per vehicle. There is also a weight problem over the front axles which then could reduce your load carrying capability. This can be remedied by uprating the front springs on the axles.

PetOp said:
Hi, Im with the British Army and have been involved with the trialling and now introduction of the MAN vehicles into all 3 Services. Have to say when the Oshkosh was loooked at it seemed that there was a restriction on the x-country weight carrying capability. It seems that it had to be reduced to 7t. Im not sure what you guys are now using or buying but if its not MAN, you may of lost out a bit. I have driven both Oshkosh and MAN vehicles extensively, and have to say for all round capability it has to be MAN. Any questions on the trucks ill gladly answer.

Do you or have you received any compensation from MAN?

No offence is intended, it's just we've had other lobbyists here in the past from Oerlikon and I believe CASA and although we value all information, it's only fair that it's provided in an transparent context.

Many thanks, Matthew.  :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Do you or have you received any compensation from MAN?

No offence is intended, it's just we've had other lobbyists here in the past from Oerlikon and I believe CASA and although we value all information, it's only fair that it's provided in an transparent context.

Many thanks, Matthew.   :salute:

I understand, but im no way affiliated to MAN. Im a serving soldier of 17yrs and was brought on to the project after the deal was done between UK Ministry of Defence and MAN. My view is purely from a user or guy-on-the-ground point of view. I only give a opinion on what i have experienced, such as driving Oshkosh Army Fuel tankers with the MTVR tractor unit and 20000ltr tank trailer and MAN 6, 9 and 15 tonne vehicles. I did a exchange visit many years ago with the Princess Patricia Light Inf from Edmonton and drove your Steyr Trucks, which were not too bad actually. So dont worry, im here as a soldier not as a salesman! :salute:

PWGSC has today released the RFP for the MilCOTS version that the reserves will get.  Here is the link to the announcement.

http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=361109

newfin said:
PWGSC has today released the RFP for the MilCOTS version that the reserves will get.  Here is the link to the announcement.

http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=361109

What makes you think that this is only for the Reserves? Last time I check we all used the same trucks.

Nfld Sapper said:
What makes you think that this is only for the Reserves? Last time I check we all used the same trucks.

I'm guessing it's reserve only... the article claims we have a fleet of 2700... but they're only buying 800... unless they're seriously screwing the army on medium trucks... though that wouldn't surprise me either...

Just a Sig Op said:
I'm guessing it's reserve only... the article claims we have a fleet of 2700... but they're only buying 800... unless they're seriously screwing the army on medium trucks... though that wouldn't surprise me either...

From MLVW
Entered service: 1982
Number acquired: 2,769

It will be similar to what was done for the Iltis replacement.  The MilCOTS Chevy's went to the reserves and the G-Wagons went to the regular Army.

By the way if you check on the MSVS Project Office site, these MilCOTS trucks still sound pretty capable.  They just are not intended to be deployed in a combat zone.  that does not mean that they will not be useful for domestic use.  Here is the address for the Project web site:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgmpd/msvs/index_e.asp

newfin said:
It will be similar to what was done for the Iltis replacement.  The MilCOTS Chevy's went to the reserves and the G-Wagons went to the regular Army.

By the way if you check on the MSVS Project Office site, these MilCOTS trucks still sound pretty capable.  They just are not intended to be deployed in a combat zone.  that does not mean that they will not be useful for domestic use.  Here is the address for the Project web site:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgmpd/msvs/index_e.asp

One slight error there newfin the MILCOTS Chevy acutally went to both the Regs and the Reserves. But originally I think the Chevy was only meant for the Reserves IIRC.

I've heard claims it's basically going to be the dump-truck the field engineers have, with a cargo bed... not a terrible bad option really... just GIVE US DECENT TIRES!

The LUVW milcots are fantastic trucks... just terrible off road as a result of poor ordering specs... throw in a lift kit and proper tires and you'd have a beast of a truck.

sry to bump old thread.

wainwright tried to lift their milcots for the ref's of CMTC, but after a few of the trucks were complete a higher-up saw them and ordered them to be returned back to stock because the mods were not authorized.  I did some moon-lighting for the off-road shop that sold the kits to CMTC wainwright.  Impressive truck with the lift and tires and better bumpers front/rear.

Mike

We've always said it.... a good truck - just the options selected for us (VS by us) make the truck a mediocre road truck... and not a field truck

We managed to use them with great success going cross-country in Shilo... problem was you had to keep your foot down pretty hard on the accelerator  to do it... when you had traction, you went foreward, when you didn't, they slid on the skid plates like a tobbogan... a ridiculous practice, extremely rough on the trucks and the training area... the lads would head out in the morning, get to where they were going, and at least have the time, call for an ML to tow them out in the evening as once they stopped, that was it, they were stuck.

While travelling westbound on the 401 two weeks ago, I spotted a convoy just west
of Trenton. Five trucks all bearing "student driver" tags and DND plates, of a
type I have not seen at any unit so far;

http://www.historiasdelmotor.com/images/2008/06/mercedes-zetros-1.jpg
(stock picture of vehicles I saw)

Unfortunately I had not packed my camera in my daybag or I would have taken a
picture. They were all in a standard OD green paint scheme, with green tarps,
perhaps these are evaluation units for the military variant of the MLVW
replacement program?

I believe what you saw was the "interm" MLWV- SMP rolling around as the the MLVW-MILCOTS is this vehicle:

bg-army-support-msvs-milcots-1.jpg

Back