• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moderators, why was the thread locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtreme

Inactive
Reaction score
I understand that you are here to do a specific job function and I respect and appreciate that fully.  However, there are a few things I don't understand about the way administration of this board is being taken place.

Now, before you "lock" this thread or ban me from this site because I may have differing opinions, please just take some time to listen, because over the last several weeks of being on this board I have noticed there seems to be this unfriendly attitude from some of the moderators.

There was one thread that was locked that I think was uncalled for (Math help).  I posted a topic offering guidance and assistance for free to those preparing for the CFAT.  I did this out of respect for my countrymen who wish to qualify for trades to their maximum potential.

I want people to take the CFAT seriously and honestly, I hope everyone does the best to their POTENTIAL.

The CFAT is no good if it isn't taken seriously, because how could the Canadian Forces adequately determine your maximum potential if you walk in casually off the street with no care in the world to see what you qualify for.  In the real world, you will study, train and prepare for your job -- sometimes before you actually do it.  Some of us need a quick refresher to do math problems that we once could do a long time ago but forgot.  To assume the CFAT ONLY predicts your learning ability is absurd.  Learning has a very high correlation with previous knowledge -- hence why students that do well in one grade are more likely to do well in the next grade and so-on.  The CFAT DOES depend on previous knowledge, and that's proven in it's verbal reasoning section, you will never know the meaning of the word "Fallacy" if you've never seen it before, whether it be in a dictionary or in context of a sentence or paragraph.  Math is very similar.

I have had students in my math classes that went from F's and D's to A's simply by changing one thing in their routine -- doing homework.  If they hadnt' done their homework, many teachers would be quick to assume the student is just unintelligent/dumb etc. 

The same goes with NOT preparing for the CFAT.  I think it would be the most irresponsible and unwise decision to make, particularly when your entire future depends on it.  It is actually the END-ALL and BE-ALL.  If you can get help from people to refresh your mind, or teach you new concepts -- YOU SHOULD.

I know many people screw up their test not because they weren't good enough, but did not have adequate preparation/test-taking skills.  I really think it would be unfair for the CFAT and the Canadian Forces in general to judge these people's abilities for a lifetime, over one bad-test!  There is a good chance there would be a significant improvement with just a simple re-take, even just a week later(if they allowed that). 

Never did I once suggest that I would tell anyone the questions on the test. 

I don't see anything "ILLEGAL/CRIMINAL" about this, nor do I see why some people have so much animosity toward this?  Are some people upset that they didn't have these types of opportunities when they had written it?

I am not giving away questions, nor do I remember any specifics of any questions.  It has been almost 5 years since I've seen the CFAT.

Teaching Math is not illegal and preparing for the CFAT is also not illegal.  If my specialization in teaching is teaching students how to effectively prepare for aptitude/iq/standardized tests (which I do for the EQAO for Grade 9 Math Annually, so I do know a great deal about standardized testing) there is nothing illegal about this.

xtreme said:
I am available to help.  I am a Physics and Math teacher and I am qualified by the University of Toronto to teach
Math from Grade 9-12 (Basic, College, University) and as well I am an electrical engineer.

I know many are preparing for the CFAT and have difficulty with math (some have been out of school for years) and others that haven't graduated from highschool.  No worries, I've taught hundreds of highschool students and I know exactly how to teach you.

I also have written the CFAT and I know what to expect.

Don't hesitate to contact me even with the most "simplest" or "hardest" of questions, I'm glad to help you out.

Just leave me a PM and I can help.

If you wanted people to contact you via PM, why would you be bothered by the thread being locked?

dileas

tess

While your offer to assist in the math area was commendable, there are still guidelines in place as to why the CFAT is not to be discussed. To assist in preparing those in their CFAT with CFAT questions in mind clearly violates the guidelines and the spirit of those guidelines. It is understandable why is was locked, I would have done the same.

If personnel want to upgrade their math skills there are other less questionable avenues.

*Sorry Tess did not realize you were addressing this.*

Okay, well the point is.  I was just trying to be helpful.  I do apologize if I violated any rules.  I just hate to see wasted talent.  That's all.

xtreme said:
Okay, well the point is.  I was just trying to be helpful.  I do apologize if I violated any rules.  I just hate to see wasted talent.  That's all.

You still never answered my question though, if you requested people to PM you, why start a new thread asking why it was locked?

dileas

tess

Silly suggestion, Tess:

PM him your question  ;)...

48th Regulator,

Because, people are also welcome to ask me questions openly in the forum too.  Some may not feel comfortable or may not wish to discuss their problems publicly.  This does not mean that some can not ask for assistance in public.  In fact, it would be more helpful to do so at least more people could benefit from the solutions/answers and collectively learn.

Did that answer your question.

So, let me get this straight contrary to you being told multiple times of the wrongness of such a thread

Canadian2cool said:
then you know you cant tell anyone what questions are on it right?

George Wallace said:
Sorry but "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse."  Any Lawyer reading your above statement would tell you the same.  You are proposing a 'criminal act' and hoping that you can use your lame excuse as a defence.  Wrong!

And the fact that we have a myriad of threads concerning this topic, the moderator locked it as such, because of your initial post does state you will help if you are PMed

George Wallace said:
As are all who have done the TEST.  As has been mentioned in nearly every Topic on CFAT that has been posted on this site.

Do we need to go any further?

The usual CAVEATS.

L O C K E D !

That is why it was locked.  You have to understand, we moderate this site on behalf of army.ca for more reasons than you can imagine; stop illegal acts from happening, save bandwidth space, stop repetitiveness.

I appreciate your offer to help, but please appreciate the ones the we moderators have offered Mike Bobbitt, the owner.

dileas

tess

48 regulator said:
And the fact that we have a myriad of threads concerning this topic, the moderator locked it as such, because of your initial post does state you will help if you are PMed

That is why it was locked.  You have to understand, we moderate this site on behalf of army.ca for more reasons than you can imagine; stop illegal acts from happening, save bandwidth space, stop repetitiveness.

I appreciate your offer to help, but please appreciate the ones the we moderators have offered Mike Bobbitt, the owner.

dileas

tess

That's the explanation I've been watching for. Likewise, this one is also locked. Usual caveats apply.

Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back