• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Modern warfare

Jungle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Looking at current land ops in this new conflict, i see there are no "heavy metal" LAV-3 equipped divisions fighting their way through the desert, but rather "rapid deployment", light infantry paratroopers carrying out raids on punctual targets. How do you extract an Airborne force after a raid ? Have them secure an airfield and use planes !!! Now to all the non-believers out there, who thought Paratroopers were a luxury of the past, $%?&-you !!! I SAY REVIVE THE AIRBORNE REGT !!! :cdn: :mg:

For sure, they sould revive the airborn. Having the airborn will have always have a purpose in the forces. They are essential. As well the airborn gives soldiers something to push for in their career. Not everyone can make JTF but you can have a chance with the airborn. That would help with overall moral. knowing that there is always something better for you in the forces. :mg:

The Rangers and Spec ops guys where extracted with choppers, weren‘t they?

uh-60 blackhawks, machines that are VERY tough..
our griffons (sp?) would be blown to bits long before a blackhawk is forced to crash...

I‘m all for reviving the airborne regiment, tho...

heh heh heh.. unless you seriously want to take over an airbase :)

It‘s my understanding that the Rangers did a static line jump into Afghanistan.

King, from what I have seen on CNN, it was a coy of the 75th Ranger Regt. They carried out an Airborne assault from a 3 plane (C-130‘s) formation. They used static line activated parachutes because they are the best way to get a large number of troops to the ground in a short time from low altitude.
Roko, I believe they were extracted using C-130‘s, from the airfield they had secured during the operation (this was probably the only reason they secured the airfield). Remember, choppers have limited range. Using planes to extract troops after a raid (when possible) gives you a lot more flexibility and range, as demonstrated by the French and Belgians a number of times in Africa (remember Kolwezi).

Yeah bringing the Airborne back would solve some problems. I hear that over the next 5 years the 3rd battalions will be phased out from the 3 Reg Force Inf units. This could create a surplus of troops that are jumped trained since the jump coys would be done away with. Its all rumor as far as I know though. We‘ll just have to hurry up and wait I guess.

Back